Path closed behind Perth Arena

nachoman

Re: Path closed behind Perth Arena

Postby nachoman » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:34 pm

Things move slowly at Perth Arena. I've noticed the back vehicle security gate is propped half open with a traffic cone most of the time. If it's broken it is taking a while to fix, especially concerning with earlier press about the venue being a 'soft target'

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:58 pm

What was the story with the three massive trucks on the shared path this morning?

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:32 pm

rolandp wrote:What was the story with the three massive trucks on the shared path this morning?
I'd bet they would be for the Katy Perry concerts on Tuesday and Wednesday.

It was known when the Arena was built that the loading dock was severely undersized for the amount of equipment needed for a large concert (they have a capacity for 4 docked semi-trailers and 2 layover bays with an expected maximum demand of 16 semi-trailers needed for a large concert) but they were meant to organise standby areas for the trucks to wait away from the Arena with any excess trucks arriving while the yard was occupied being directed back onto the freeway to avoid blocking traffic.

It sounds like rather than following the original plan and sending the excess trucks away someone has flagged them up to park on the shared path instead.

Were they parked on the Arena's "private" shared path or were they on the City of Perth's shared path? Even if they were on the "private" shared path it looks like they probably had to drive on City of Perth's path to get there.

If you can show they were on City of Perth's path then I would suggest reporting them so that the City can get down there and watch what they do on Thursday when they are removing the concert equipment.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:11 am

They were parked on the shared path that runs next to Market St, and the railway. I reported to MainRoads cbd congestion team that morning, who where going to send down a crew to review.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:09 pm

Image of trucks on shared path - haven't heard back from the Congestion team.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/fC7Cp9ZLBJQD1NAWA
There may also be a light to the path behind the arena. Pieces of glass sighted on Friday morning, ready to be installed.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/M8Rfa6exQFuDQKhF7

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:29 pm

I am advised that view of the Perth Arena is that the path is permanently closed.

There is no specific plan to reopen it.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:29 pm

Could hit up RAC about it given they now have the naming rights to the Arena.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:07 pm

dmwill wrote:Could hit up RAC about it given they now have the naming rights to the Arena.
Done.

There's an article in the current (Oct/Nov) "Horizons" magazine which is a suitable prompt for a letter to the editor noting the delay and requesting that RAC lean on the Perth Arena to get it fixed and reopen.

Thoglette

A month later

Postby Thoglette » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:52 pm

There is a fair bit of replacement going on, including on the back above the path. Who knows, one day...

Grev

Postby Grev » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:10 pm

This morning there was some action on the glass facing Wellington St. Does anyone have any detail?

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:54 pm

Don't get too excited, this has slowly been occuring for the last two months. Generally undertaken by parking their equipment on the PSP (believe it is a PSP) in morning peak time next to Wellington St. Repeated requests to CoP fail to prevent this occuring.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:34 pm

The work group were again working on the Wellington St side of the Arena. Again, heavy machinery being operating with no warning signs and blocking a significant proportion of the Wellington St path.

On a hopeful note, they may have also been working on the north side of the Arena as well this morning. Hard to tell as path is still closed but there were equipment being operated.

Grev

Postby Grev » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:01 pm

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:38 pm

rolandp wrote:Image of trucks on shared path - haven't heard back from the Congestion team.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/fC7Cp9ZLBJQD1NAWA
Roland, are you OK with my providing a copy of this photo to a third party (Metropolitan Redevelopment Authority formerly the East Perth Redevelopment Authority)?

MRA have tentatively indicated that they are, in general, willing to take enforcement action against developments that are not following their development conditions and I am led to believe that the Arena's development conditions included a traffic management plan and that the TMP specifically prohibited staging trucks on the PSP while waiting for the Arena loading docks to be available (the loading docks at the Arena were known to be undersized for the amount of equipment needed for a typical concert or event so it was foreseeable that this was going to happen and I believe the TMP committed to alternate arrangements that don't seem to have been complied with). I also believe the TMP had a number of other commitments like providing managed separation between cyclists and event crowds.

If anybody else has photos of trucks servicing the Arena parked on the PSP I would appreciate links (and permission to use them). Similarly if anyone has camera footage of attempting to ride past on the Southern PSP during an event.

I will probably need to make a FOI request to get an official copy of the TMP but this has dragged on long enough without any resolution in sight and I want to give VenuesWest a kick along.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:49 pm

Scott_C wrote: I will probably need to make a FOI request to get an official copy of the TMP but this has dragged on long enough without any resolution in sight and I want to give VenuesWest a kick along.
Please do. Their attitude has been, since day one, most politely described as obstructionist based on a view that they're a private company and it's all private land.

Wixxy

Postby Wixxy » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:32 pm

The State Ombudsman may be a route to try for as it's a gov body or gov funded org?

Grev

Postby Grev » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:15 pm

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:39 pm

VenuesWest is initiating a review
Well, that's it then. The way is closed.

There is no need for a review: the path was planned with the bus station in mind. The whole thing is a strawman.

This review can only have two purposes
1. to keep the path closed until the review is done
2. to keep the path closed after the review is done.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:11 pm

Thoglette wrote:
VenuesWest is initiating a review
Well, that's it then. The way is closed.

There is no need for a review: the path was planned with the bus station in mind. The whole thing is a strawman.

This review can only have two purposes
1. to keep the path closed until the review is done
2. to keep the path closed after the review is done.
On a more hopeful basis I did get a response last week from VenueWest's FOI officer who said they had located the Perth Arena Traffic Management Plan (that VenuesWest had entered a binding agreement with the Metropolitan Redevelopment Agency to comply with as part of the Development Approval process for the Arena) and enquired as to what sections of the plan I wanted to have access to. I responded with "anything relating to cycling or truck movements into the yard" and all of a sudden there was no further response despite them having the plan in their hands. Hopefully someone woke up to the reality that VenuesWest actually do have binding obligations to cyclists and that continuing to fail to meet them could see penalties applied.

I am going to continue with the process but the statutory deadlines allow them to delay responding for quite some time despite making the mistake of admitting that they already have their hands on the only document that I want.

pedalmonkey

Postby pedalmonkey » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:53 pm

Scott, once you get your hands on the TMP and get to the stage of asking the MRA to take enforcement action, let me know as I have contacts at the MRA and can make sure you attention it to the right person.

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:29 am

It was open last night The only obstruction were some cones, nothing was actually stopping you from riding through.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:41 am

Scott_C wrote:. I responded with "anything relating to cycling or truck movements into the yard" and all of a sudden there was no further response
dmwill wrote:It was open last night The only obstruction were some cones, nothing was actually stopping you from riding through.
A tiny speck of hope: could it be that the management team have now read the TMP for the first time?

Wixxy

Postby Wixxy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:28 pm

Can anyone clarify if CofP rangers have jurisdiction on a Mainroads psp for parking infringement matters?
Or do MR have their own staff for such matters?

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:54 pm

Wixxy wrote:Can anyone clarify if CofP rangers have jurisdiction on a Mainroads psp for parking infringement matters?
Or do MR have their own staff for such matters?
To the best of my knowledge MR have no enforcement staff so it will either be CofP and/or WAPOL.

Wixxy

Postby Wixxy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:42 pm

Thanks Scott, I reported a dumping issue to my council which ended up involving MR and DPLH (crown land) as little bits of land closely together involved all 3. The rangers from the council would only investigate for the others' if approached (as it would be for private land).

I wondered if parking would also be problematic in regards city rangers. I left out WA Police as I knew they would have powers in this instance.