Best route from William st to Mitchell PSP

Bergsey

Best route from William st to Mitchell PSP

Postby Bergsey » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:19 pm

Thanks for reading

With all the recent changes in the city I'm a bit confused as the best way to come from William st to Mitchell PSP

I come in down Murray st but going home there is no right turn into Milligan. Have tried continuing down the new cycle lanes on Murray that suddenly end!

Currently I try my luck going down king st, footpath on Wellington st then turn at the arena

Thanks all

Robinho

Re: Best route from William st to Mitchell PSP

Postby Robinho » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:37 am

I go out from the city either over the horseshoe bridge or over the footbridge by the arena and join the psp at the end of Aberdeen st in northbridge.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:23 am

Bergsey wrote:I come in down Murray st but going home there is no right turn into Milligan. Have tried continuing down the new cycle lanes on Murray that suddenly end!
Please consider providing this feedback to City of Perth, as they may be able to install additional signs etc? The total work to convert Murray St into two-way is $2.6M of which $170K is coming out of the CoP Bike Plan, so we should have good access to the cycle ways being installed.

I also work on William St (cnr The Esplanade), and I actually ride via the river, past Parliament House etc. When I do ride home via the Perth CBD roads, then it is St Georges Tce, Milligan St, around the back of The Arena (when it is open), Market St, Loftus St, and join the Mitchell Fway PSP on the other side of the freeway. With the exception of Perth CBD roads, the rest is on shared paths.

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:19 am

If you're going from William Street you could use Hay Street to get to Milligan Street.....

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:02 pm

Bergsey wrote:Thanks for reading

With all the recent changes in the city I'm a bit confused as the best way to come from William st to Mitchell PSP

I come in down Murray st but going home there is no right turn into Milligan. Have tried continuing down the new cycle lanes on Murray that suddenly end!

Currently I try my luck going down king st, footpath on Wellington st then turn at the arena

Thanks all
Hi Bergsey

You can quite legally do a hook turn from Murray (westbound) into Milligan (northbound). That's probably your best bet for access from that direction.

I think CoP would be reluctant to approve a conventional right turn for bicycles at this location as it would result in bicycles propping to turn right in front of through vehicles.

worzel

Postby worzel » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:44 pm

I didn't like going to the end or down King St and left onto Wellington St - trying to get across several lanes felt dangerous and I got squeezed on King St.

I take Hay St, staying in the right hand lane before turning right at Milligan. Its the traffic going across at right angles that you have to watch out for. From there get to the right lane to cross Murray St and from the middle of the two lanes go straight across to the Arena. You now have to go on the path west along the front of the arena rather than round the back.

Follow the railway up to Loftus St and cross the freeway. Turn right and right again to get onto the PSP.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:48 pm

worzel wrote:I didn't like going to the end or down King St and left onto Wellington St - trying to get across several lanes felt dangerous and I got squeezed on King St.
The lights are terrible for the right turn from Wellington into the Arena too, so you either sit there for 3 minutes waiting for your 6 seconds of green, or you become another hated red-light running cyclist.

gazman

Postby gazman » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:22 pm

I go out from the city either over the horseshoe bridge or over the footbridge by the arena and join the psp at the end of Aberdeen st in northbridge
+1

Bergsey

Postby Bergsey » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:47 am

wellington_street wrote:
Bergsey wrote:Thanks for reading

Thanks all
Hi Bergsey

You can quite legally do a hook turn from Murray (westbound) into Milligan (northbound). That's probably your best bet for access from that direction.

I think CoP would be reluctant to approve a conventional right turn for bicycles at this location as it would result in bicycles propping to turn right in front of through vehicles.
How can you legally turn right if there is a clear no right turn sign? They don't make it easy to not be one of those curb hopping traffic rule violating cyclists!

Bergsey

Postby Bergsey » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:08 am

Edit: just looked up the hook turn thing. Learn something new every day. I'm sure that would get some of the drivers riled up ;)

happyhappy

Postby happyhappy » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:48 pm

i'm also corner william and esplanade and head straight up william and over the horseshoe bridge, and then to the start of the bike path at aberdeen st.

most simple and straight forward route? Otherwise please let me know an easier way :)

worzel

Postby worzel » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:59 am

happyhappy wrote:i'm also corner william and esplanade and head straight up william and over the horseshoe bridge, and then to the start of the bike path at aberdeen st.

most simple and straight forward route? Otherwise please let me know an easier way :)
I tried that route once but didn't like it as no one would let me get across the lanes on Roe St to turn right at Fitzgerald St then there were lots of impatient drivers buzzing me until I got to the start of the PSP. Is that the way you go or do you continue on William St until you get to Aberdeen? (that would make it a left turn rather than right)

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:09 pm

Right now, probably via the FOOTPATH to the new bus station north of the rail lines. Yes, annoying to dismount for 100m but that will take you onto the shared path north of the rail line alongside Roe St, head west until either Lake St and use this (or Milligan + shenton) to get to Aberdeen. Go west on Aberdeen beyond Fitzgerald and you'll find the bridge which takes you to the PSP.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

happyhappy

Postby happyhappy » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:08 pm

[/quote]

I tried that route once but didn't like it as no one would let me get across the lanes on Roe St to turn right at Fitzgerald St then there were lots of impatient drivers buzzing me until I got to the start of the PSP. Is that the way you go or do you continue on William St until you get to Aberdeen? (that would make it a left turn rather than right)[/quote]

i go immediately left onto roe street (psp) at the bottom of the horseshoe bridge at the lights and follow path past new bus station to start of where the old perth arena footbridge used to be. There are cycle lights there to cross roe street and into milligan in front of russell sq (think that's what it's called, irish pub on the right corner with James, car park on your left.

Left into james, then imed right into shenton street, then left into cycle lane on aberdeen st, cross the lights over to the start of the bike path, or alternatively left into james, up to lights at end of james, right at lights, left at church onto start of bike path.

no need to go on the roads out of cycle lanes at all.

good luck!

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:50 pm

Same route as me then, although I sometimes stay on the road along roe and turn right at the lights by the footbridge.