Audax: the Perth-Albany-Perth 1200km on 6-9 Oct 2014

just4tehhalibut

Audax: the Perth-Albany-Perth 1200km on 6-9 Oct 2014

Postby just4tehhalibut » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:29 am

The 5th edition of the Perth-Albany-Perth is on in early October this year, it is hoped that about 100 riders will take on this course and so far half that field is booked, including riders from overseas. The route is still being worked on but it will loosely be based on the previous edition in 2010, there are of course changes because of little things like new roads down Busselton way and the Forrest Hwy (how WA roads change) but all can be shown right now is the old 2010 Bikely map. There's more info on the Audax Aust website.

The ride actually has options for 1200km, 1000km and 200km. There is however another event, the PAP Recon; if you have opted to be a volunteer for the main event in October and therefore unable to ride you can do the vollies' ride and that's coming up on 12/04/2014. If you're thinking of this you need to contact the ride organiser now. There's a few BNA members already signed on.

For those with grander plans the PAP and PAP Recon will help you qualify for some of the interesting overseas rides including next year's PBP in France.

Feel up to the challenge?

jonhanson

Re: Audax: the Perth-Albany-Perth 1200km on 6-9 Oct 2014

Postby jonhanson » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:53 pm

I've been wondering about doing this and reading the blogs of the past riders including some very funny ones. But I'd appreciate any thoughts anyone has. I do maybe 300k per week at a reasonable pace about 30K. But doing 1200K over four days ? Sounds tough. I don't mind a challenge but fear this may be a step too far. You ride as far as you can then have a sleep for an hour or two then get up for some more ? And are we talking normal road bikes or tourers ? Plus what do you need to carry with you and what goes in the sag wagon ?

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:01 am

johnhanson wrote:
I've been wondering about doing this and reading the blogs of the past riders including some very funny ones. But I'd appreciate any thoughts anyone has. I do maybe 300k per week at a reasonable pace about 30K. But doing 1200K over four days ? Sounds tough. yep it is

I don't mind a challenge but fear this may be a step too far. You ride as far as you can then have a sleep for an hour or two then get up for some more ? well kind of - there are specific sleep controls, where beds and tucker are provided, but you can organise your own accommodation, or sleep on the side of the road.....I reached the first sleep control at 17hrs, but continued on to the next arriving at 23hrs, then got two hours sleep. I suspect you would be a little quicker than me, with fewer wheels and other anvils that I carry

And are we talking normal road bikes or tourers ? all kinds, the last one had spoke challenged carbon machines at one end to a *cough* a heavy steel trike at the other

Plus what do you need to carry with you and what goes in the sag wagon ? right, ok, need to carry what you need :wink: the best way to work that out is ride some shorter audax rides and decide if its for you, and from that what you need to carry. one riders anvil is another riders necessity :D last time the sag wagon carried one duffel type bag per rider, which was dropped at nominated sleep controls. from memory mine carried a sleeping bag, pillow and some fresh clothing etc

hope that helps, at least a little. have a crack and see how you go!
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

patkhaw

Postby patkhaw » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:13 pm

Hi, I joined Audax in November and have done several rides with them including a 300. If you like I can ride some of the permanents with you. I want to rack up a few more long rides as I am new to this type of bicycling.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:46 pm

Hi Patrick, there's already plenty of locals doing permanents here for various reasons if you want to tag along, best to ask the perm coordinator (Kym) about any upcoming group perms. He and a small group just did the Toodyay 2-up last night, a Friday night perm seems the thing here for those who suffer 9-to-5 schedules. I did the 400km Long Flat One down to Bunbury and back a fortnight ago and apparently that's the longest perm this year, everyone's happy with the 200km's although there is still lots of talk of doing the 600km Hourglass course. Maybe the actual distances will ramp up just before the PAP in October?

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:22 pm

"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:01 am

And note that the route now uses Mowen Rd behind Margaret River across to Nannup. They finally sealed the bit between Sues Rd and the Vasse Hwy, opened the new road in March. For tourists you now have another route out of Margs.

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:18 pm

the new route (compared to 2010) through Nannup appears to add 1000+m of ascent using Ridewithgps : ( not that accurate I know, but wishing I hadn't seen that.......

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:48 pm

chuckchunder wrote:the new route (compared to 2010) through Nannup appears to add 1000+m of ascent using Ridewithgps : ( not that accurate I know, but wishing I hadn't seen that.......
I find Ridewithgps elevation inaccurate. For example Swanning Around was stated at over 1100m ascent. On the ride all the garmins recorded like 530m. I've seen other instances of this that are doubling the elevation so don't believe it with a grain of salt.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:08 pm

Baalzamon wrote:I find Ridewithgps elevation inaccurate. For example Swanning Around was stated at over 1100m ascent. On the ride all the garmins recorded like 530m. I've seen other instances of this that are doubling the elevation so don't believe it with a grain of salt.
ah ta for that. I'll just go back out to the garage and strap a couple of anvils back on again.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:14 pm

The event is on this Monday, at 5am there'll be about 120 riders on some very serious machines heading out from South Perth to the Narrows then down the freeway path. The course is here.

If you want to follow the ride there'll be ongoing write-ups on the Audax main page and live tracking during the event for those using SPOT trackers. You won't have 120 cases of "where's Wally" to amuse you over the following 90 hours, the club has 10 trackers and these will be used by the leading edge and lanterne rouge riders. But it will be interesting to follow.

Tomorrow morning there will be the bike registration and checking at Mends St, South Perth. And tonight apparently there'll be a freeforall at the Windsor Hotel. Most of these riders have come from interstate and overseas, today I saw a Moulton being ridden by a UK rider and several lowracer recumbents, lots of well kitted road bikes, also met a few riders who'd ridden across to Perth for the event. Good luck to them all and may they wear out a few cranky magpies.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:47 am

Well that had been fun, I got 4.5 hours sleep during the 4 day event and I was just a vollie. We had riders finishing in South Perth on the Wednesday night when the majority were still pulling into Williams 200km back. And one guy had his gear cable break inside the brifter, had to ride on the one rear cog from Albany onwards, the 600km.

I've been told that we missed picking up a few of the direction and event signs, if anyone sees signs still up let me know and I'll see about collection. The next PAP is in 4 years so those signs are doing nothing.

Dez

Postby Dez » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:01 pm

Congratulations to all the riders who completed this massive challenge. A very impressive achievement indeed!

I was driving along Pinjarra-Williams Road and passing riders a number of times throughout the day and I would just like to note an observation. The difference in visibility between those riders using fluorescent clothing and front and rear lights was significant. The stretch of road east of Dwellingup has a number of crests and corners, and the shadows cast by the forest makes it more difficult to see dark shapes on the road. The riders without fluoro and lights were difficult to see in some situations, even for me, an experienced country driver and experienced cyclist. The riders with fluoro and lights I could see from a long way away.

With a number of oversize vehicles using these roads, increasing your visibility may be something to consider for future events.