Cyclists Fined During Police Blitz

Bergsey

Re: Cyclists Fined During Police Blitz

Postby Bergsey » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:28 am

CXCommuter wrote:Was down at Fitzgerald Street yesterday morning - of the 8 cyclists I saw- 6 broke laws - 5 crossing against the red, 1 no helmet, didn't check bells though. 2 waited with me at the lights for the green then 2 cyclists ran the red heading west and I almost collided with them as I turned right (after indicating).

Good to see the message is getting through at a dangerous/busy intersection
Since starting to commute more regularly I would say that 80% of riders I see break obvious laws e.g. crossing at a red light

Hutton st on Mitchell PSP being one of the worst... unfortunately it appears that the guys with the full racing kit are the worst offenders

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:50 am

If CXCommuter is referring to Fitzgerald/Aberdeen, its rare to go through in peak times without moron motorists queuing through the intersection including bus drivers. Police should be blitzing this !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! while its down the road from their office

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:44 am

Bergsey wrote:
CXCommuter wrote:Was down at Fitzgerald Street yesterday morning - of the 8 cyclists I saw- 6 broke laws - 5 crossing against the red, 1 no helmet, didn't check bells though. 2 waited with me at the lights for the green then 2 cyclists ran the red heading west and I almost collided with them as I turned right (after indicating).

Since starting to commute more regularly I would say that 80% of riders I see break obvious laws e.g. crossing at a red light

Hutton st on Mitchell PSP being one of the worst... unfortunately it appears that the guys with the full racing kit are the worst offenders
My observations are different- all types doing it- if close shaves of pedestrians, , dangerous overtaking, wheelsucking and riding to fast (sometimes guilty of this :mrgreen: and why I use the PSP less these days). Red lights and jaycycling (is this a word?) done universally.

roids

Postby roids » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:42 pm

Riding to my usual Thursday ride group, just turned on to Canning Hwy at 5:15 AM, copper on a motorbike pulls up beside me and tells me I've forgot to turn my tail light on.. No fine or lecture just 'have a safe ride' that is the way to police..

Bergsey

Postby Bergsey » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:54 pm

Saw 6x police on bikes on the PSP this morning around 7:30am heading north towards leaderville. Weird but on the way home noticed a few piles of horse manure on the PSP from the church to loftus st - I'm assuming police horses?

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:27 pm

:lol: lovely. Mounted cops should really be taking poop-bags with them and cleaning up after their animals.

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:24 am

Bergsey wrote:

I have to say I always stop at red lights when riding on the road, but at the Hutton and Karinyup intersections on the Mitchell psp I rarely wait for a green, especially as the crossing lights do not coincide with the reds on the road for that carriageway. I have seen the majority of cyclists doing the same, and also seen no issue raised by drivers or peds there. To me there is a huge difference between running a red on the road, and crossing a road against a red light, when the road you are crossing is also on red.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:44 am

^ Agree, particularly as the 'green' signal at Hutton Street does not give cyclists priority over anyone, so you are very likely to get skittled by a right turning vehicle.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:47 am

And this is happening on Beeliar drv shared path. Lights go green and if you have gotten there before they go green and have pressed the button, the crossing remains red. One would think the numpties would have the lights and crossings synced. Means you don't need the extra hardware costs for having a button.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

franjae

Postby franjae » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:59 am

We all like to be law abiding cyclists, but some lights are just not set up for cyclists or pedestrian. Have contacted Mains Road and was told that some intersection has too many variables and nothing can be done about it. You'll be waiting for a while if you did the right thing ......

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:30 pm

Main Roads love to make excuses to do nothing.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:09 am

At Franjae... so what about this *particular* intersection?

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk