Another car crashing off the freeway

rodneythellama

Another car crashing off the freeway

Postby rodneythellama » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:21 pm

I'm kinda getting sick of seeing evidence of cars which have exited the freeway at the wrong place. Either the smashed up car itself or a hole in the fence. Here was another one I saw this evening between Mount Henry and Canning Bridges.

I hope the car occupant(s) are OK, but I also hope whoever is at fault loses their license.

ploz

Re: Another car crashing off the freeway

Postby ploz » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:05 am

Was there not long after this happened. Apparently the lady driver suddenly swerved sharply across the freeway and rolled it. She was trapped but conscious and otherwise ok. As to why, no idea. Just glad no-one was in her path when she lost it.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:23 pm

Given I saw a lady driving with two phones in hands texting and steering wheel between knees getting all over the dual carriageway 70kph road passing traffic left/right weaving no indicating with knees steering, the possible reasons i wouldnt imagine I have the creativity to match.

SuperSix

Postby SuperSix » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:58 pm

So why are you sick of it? What's it got to do with you?
Have you ever crashed a bike?

rodneythellama

Postby rodneythellama » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:13 pm

SuperSix wrote:So why are you sick of it? What's it got to do with you?
Quite simply because I don't want myself or any other PSP users getting wiped out by one of these out of control drivers. :shock: You're probably not familiar with this section of freeway. A driver would have to be seriously inept and/or reckless to crash off it. You're right to point out that bike riders can also crash. But the consequences for others are rarely grave.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:08 pm

SuperSix wrote:So why are you sick of it? What's it got to do with you?
Just think what your reaction would be if you had been next to that vehicle as it's starting to crash. Would you have forced crash yourself to avoid possible impact with an out of control car?

Quite simply, a mesh fence is not enough protection for vulnerable users. And I'm worried that one day someone will get killed and only then will they wakeup and find that these mesh fences are not enough protection and upgrade them to something that is. There is more than one location on PSP's where there is insufficient protection for cyclists.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:17 pm

Or, crazy idea I know, there could be a half decent licencing system in place to stop people just crashing their brains out for no reason.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

SuperSix

Postby SuperSix » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:50 pm

No I don't know the road. In Melbourne wire rope barriers are going up along a lot of our freeways. They are excellent for containing wayward vehicles. It sounds like what you need. Maybe start a campaign to put them in.
And I'm never surprised by drivers taking every opportunity to crash their car.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:51 pm

Just be a little careful taking photos at crash sites (that you are not involved in). Emergency services hate this type of thing ( I know because I work for one!). So just a word of warning.

Sent via Tapatalk so expect the odd typo and mis-posting!
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

uglybob

Postby uglybob » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:02 pm

SuperSix wrote:No I don't know the road. In Melbourne wire rope barriers are going up along a lot of our freeways. They are excellent for containing wayward vehicles. It sounds like what you need. Maybe start a campaign to put them in.
And I'm never surprised by drivers taking every opportunity to crash their car.
so if you've got no idea about the road / safety barriers in the picture above because you don't even live in the state, why bother commenting? :roll:

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:53 pm

That is actually just one small section of the Freeway without such barriers SuperSix. There are a fair few wire barriers all over the place, but generally where the PSP runs significantly closer to the Freeway (closer than what you see in the pictures above).

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:22 pm

Are we talking the wire rope barriers that motorbike riders know as guillotines? They may stop cars diverting, but they are a death trap (or limb trap) for motorcyclists.

I don't know if there is a solution for all road users.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:24 pm

If concerned about vulnerable people, check the data on tensioned steel cable rails and secondary harm to scooter/motorcyclists. From what I recall the data is not good for rider injuries and advocates try to stop it being implemented, but I have noticed also it is the new barrier of choice.

P.s. jinx MB, I think there are alternatives but presume it is a dollars per kilometre equation.

SuperSix

Postby SuperSix » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:38 pm

It's all about numbers. Sure hitting a wire barrier on a motorcycle is less than ideal. But the math has been done and the stats say that as most motorcyclists are also car drivers and passengers, they are more likely to be saved by the wire barriers than harmed by them. It's not perfect but it's just how it is.
My uncle was head of road safety for Vicroads for many years and now consults around the world. I've asked all these questions as I'm also a motorcyclists and he has all the answers and it's all been considered. I guess as long as cars are the default setting in Australia, the wire barriers will stay.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:44 pm

One example and I'm already aware of an incident with a car ending up on the PSP after coming off Kwinana Fwy.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:37 am

rodneycc wrote:Just be a little careful taking photos at crash sites (that you are not involved in). Emergency services hate this type of thing ( I know because I work for one!). So just a word of warning.
I'm interested to know why they would hate it?

SuperSix

Postby SuperSix » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:54 am

Summernight wrote:
rodneycc wrote:Just be a little careful taking photos at crash sites (that you are not involved in). Emergency services hate this type of thing ( I know because I work for one!). So just a word of warning.
I'm interested to know why they would hate it?
You're dealing with a rather traumatic event in someone's life. What if it was you or your kids in that car. Would you want rubber-neckers taking pics?

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:12 am

Supersix has got it. Firey's deal with a lot of traumatic events and most are just volunteers like you and me in the street. You never know if its a fatal accident or not. Some photos are fine for insurance purposes, witnesses etc. But if you are not involved and overstay your welcome taking photos (or even worst would be to get in the way!) then expect a stern word from our emergency services friends.

Cheers Rod.

PS not having a go at the OP just expressing my concern and trying to give the forum some good advice...
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:39 am

Ah got it. Not the same as if you had video running on a camera you carried as you went past and took stills from the video later. It is more the rubber-necking and hanging around that is the annoyance to the emergency services.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:48 am

There are a lot of claims and attacks on this thread - talking of numbers and data, people berating others for commenting without being familiar with the section etc, etc.
Chillout guys. If you post then you should expect some comment.

The OP implied strongly that cars landing in our space is common place. Not in my considerable experience.

I DO know the route as I have been riding from Bateman to the city via the Kwinana Freeway stretch since even before the particular segment was built. In all In all I have probably ridden the Kwinana freeway route route around 10,000 times spanning four decades. Though I am sure that it has happened a few times, off hand I can recall once seeing any evidence of a car crashing off the Kwinana Freeway and onto the PSP.

However, in that time I HAVE seen many trees and boughs across the paths from winter storms, loose gas bottles left on the paths and tools riding bikes like tools. Last year I was personally present at three cases of riders being down and out along that stretch. None involved cars. If I was to post of being "sick"of anything it is gonna be a number of other hazards before this.

(Yes, I know that out-of-control cars have a greater potential for tragedy than, say, a bike or a loose bit of rubbish or a tool of a rider. But in terms of risk management cars crashing off the freeway are not a biggy.)
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

rodneythellama

Postby rodneythellama » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:15 am

Here's one from this morning near Canning bridge.

It seems to me to be a regular occurrence.

My favoured solution is a 3m high concrete wall at the edge of the emergency stopping lane. It would have benefits.other than just keeping vehicles on the freeway. A wall would reduce noise and light pollution and help drivers focus on road hazards.

roller

Postby roller » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:56 am

What the.....?
inflammatory statement or idea

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:32 am

roller wrote:What the.....?

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:42 am

Gads, I was wondering what that was. Came by a bit before 8 and they were still cleaning up. WT indeed ...
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

rodneythellama

Postby rodneythellama » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:08 pm

There was also a lady cyclist assisting the driver of a commodore which was involved. And passers by were attending to the poor astra driver who was still wedged in his car at the time the police arrived. In true "people power" spirit I just took a photo and left.