SBS WA live cycling race times....

J Quinton

SBS WA live cycling race times....

Postby J Quinton » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:58 pm

Why is it that every year SBS put the cycling races on 2-3 hours delayed in Western Australia?

Their TV guide website states that the tour of Flanders starts at 11:55pm for NSW. But it also starts at 11:55pm in WA.

Same thing happened for San Remo a few weeks ago. Is it meant to be live?

SBS do this for all the grand tours as well, eliminating the advantage of being out west.

If SBS want to keep WA viewers, instead of finding a live stream, I suggest they put it on live, and make us all happy.

What do you think?
Last edited by J Quinton on Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Parker

Re: SBS WA live cycling times....

Postby Parker » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:34 pm

It's crap

jlh

Re: SBS WA live cycling race times....

Postby jlh » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:01 pm

I think find a live stream (we don't even own a TV)

Grev

Postby Grev » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:11 pm

What happened to Cycling Central on Sundays?

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:04 pm

jlh wrote:I think find a live stream (we don't even own a TV)
Yes, but they do tend to drop out at the worst of times, and the quality isn't the best.

captain peacock

Postby captain peacock » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:17 pm

If u can afford it, get Foxtel! Eurosport shows all races live...all the grand tours, the classics, and just about every race under the sun! Some nights they'll show 2 races that are on simultaneously ie: paris nice/tirreno adriatico.

telecasts usually start 9pm-ish and finish 11pm-ish, and often the races are repeated the next day.

Graeme H

Postby Graeme H » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:11 am

Grev wrote:What happened to Cycling Central on Sundays?
It has been rebranded as (Subaru) World of Cycling, 5pm Sunday on SBS1.
This show seems to have bounced around a lot of time slots over the past couple of years.

roller

Postby roller » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:01 pm

I too think it's ridiculous that of the 3 channels they have available they can't squeeze the cycling live for us over here.

I can't understand why we have to watch it delayed while the Eastern States get it live, it just doesn't make sense.

This Sunday though I'm going to roadtest using my ipad to stream Ronde de Vlaanderen live and patch it through my TV, hopefully that will be good, but I worry that it will have a youtube-pixelated feel about it.
inflammatory statement or idea

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:24 pm

Hopefully SBS change their minds about this, but it happens every year, in every race.

Imagine the outrage if they showed the races delayed in Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide.

If they are going to delay it in WA, they may as well delay it until 5 or 6am...

matthecat

Postby matthecat » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:33 pm

Hi all - long time lurker, first time poster.
Enjoy all the local information I receive through the WA section of the forum.
The SBS site says the telecast for the Paris - Roubeaux is 9.30pm (EDST) so does that not mean we'll get it at 7.30pm (as I believe DST end this weekend over east).

Mr Squiggle

Postby Mr Squiggle » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:13 pm

J Quinton wrote:Why is it that every year SBS put the cycling races on 2-3 hours delayed in Western Australia?

...SBS do this for all the grand tours as well, eliminating the advantage of being out west.

What do you think?
I'm fairly certain that at least the past few years, SBS has shown the Tour live into WA, but still not the televised stages from the Giro or Vuelta :( This just frustrates me twice as much though as if they can do it for the Tour, why not other races (which are 99% of the time far more entertaining than the Tour anyway)...

Definitely hats off to SBS for showing more and more cycling into Australia, but I am really starting to get sick of them always going on about showing this race and that race "LIVE" when it never is for us. Every time I see Tomolaris on TV lately he is gobbing on about every Giro stage this year - LIVE!! Not holding my breath...

roller

Postby roller » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:05 pm

roller wrote:This Sunday though I'm going to roadtest using my ipad to stream Ronde de Vlaanderen live and patch it through my TV, hopefully that will be good, but I worry that it will have a youtube-pixelated feel about it.
not as easy as it seems, need myself an apple TV.

looks like i'll just be sitting REALLY close to the ipad to get that big screen feel
inflammatory statement or idea

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:09 pm

roller wrote:
roller wrote:This Sunday though I'm going to roadtest using my ipad to stream Ronde de Vlaanderen live and patch it through my TV, hopefully that will be good, but I worry that it will have a youtube-pixelated feel about it.
not as easy as it seems, need myself an apple TV.

looks like i'll just be sitting REALLY close to the ipad to get that big screen feel
Buy a hdmi cable and u can do it directly from your pc/laptop

I mainly just put stuff i want to watcg on a usb stick and plug it into the tv but obviously that doesnt work for live streaming

bianchi928

Postby bianchi928 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:06 pm

J Quinton wrote:Why is it that every year SBS put the cycling races on 2-3 hours delayed in Western Australia?

Their TV guide website states that the tour of Flanders starts at 11:55pm for NSW. But it also starts at 11:55pm in WA.

Same thing happened for San Remo a few weeks ago. Is it meant to be live?

SBS do this for all the grand tours as well, eliminating the advantage of being out west.

If SBS want to keep WA viewers, instead of finding a live stream, I suggest they put it on live, and make us all happy.

What do you think?
I feel your frustration but I think, it's free (as compared to Foxtel) therefore I am not "entitled" to live coverage and given no other station will provide coverage (and after Channel 9's TDU debacle, do you want them covering cycling), delayed telecast etc are something to put up with.

SBS owe me nothing (unless my tax dollars go toward their budget, in which case, play it live :) ) and I am grateful for the coverage they give and understand if I want decent telecasttimes and coverage of more races, I have to pay for Eurosport etc.

I would rather have delayed than not at all.

That said, I wish Mike Tomalaris would stop saying "live coverage" when it's not.

Cheers
Stand on my dog I cut off your head

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:22 am

SBS receive $568.7 million in government funding over 3 years.

Roobar

Postby Roobar » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:38 am

Out here in the country where we paid through the nose for satellite tv (vast) we get east coast SBS. One of the few perks apart from empty roads we get.

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:01 am

They manage to get live coverage working for the tour so why not the rest? It's almost as bad as chan 9 with TDU a few years ago.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:20 pm

I emailed SBS about this. The first point of contact said she was going to refer the matter to their sports department. They never got back to me, even though I sent them a follow up email. Therefore, to date, there is no explanation for the delay.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:03 am

Amstel about to start on SBS. Just finished on Eurosport. I hope the commentary on SBS is better
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:28 pm

Looks like SBS are showing LBL live this sunday. Sweet.

bianchi928

Postby bianchi928 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:29 am

Red Rider wrote:SBS receive $568.7 million in government funding over 3 years.
In that case, lift your game SBS.
Stand on my dog I cut off your head

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:29 am

J Quinton wrote:Looks like SBS are showing LBL live this sunday. Sweet.
Nope 2 hour delay in WA unfortunately. Will be over when is starts on SBS WA. Live in Eastern states however, and live on Eurosport if you have Foxtel
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:57 pm

Yes, you're correct. Balls. And balls to SBS.

Roobar

Postby Roobar » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:41 pm

As a random thought for you city folk (and a bit late for LBL) if you know a gray nomad or Winnebago owner there is a chance they have a vast box installed for sat tv on the go. Might be worth borrowing it and having Sunday night BBQs if it ever stops raining. Or buying a bike just before the Giro and using it as a doghouse.

cray-

Postby cray- » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:56 am

Roobar wrote:Or buying a bike just before the Giro and using it as a doghouse.
Haha, took me a second to get my head around that concept but good thinking.

My excuse to stay up and watch the delayed telecast comes in the form of our 7 week old, second born. He's been a bit restless so I had him sleeping on my chest for the whole of LBL last night. Dadda may have also drifted off for awhile (damn comfy recliners), but woke in time to watch the last 20km. That final 7km was an amazing bit of road, and what a finish! No spoilers but, DAMN!