Wellington Street Service Upgrade Works -April 7th

archetuthus

Wellington Street Service Upgrade Works -April 7th

Postby archetuthus » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:30 pm

just wanted to get this warning out before tomorrow as I know this will impacts ride to and from work.
---

Works are currently underway in Wellington Street to undertake major service infrastructure upgrades including water, drainage, power, gas and telecommunications.

From 7 April to 24 May, works will be undertaken within the intersection of Wellington and Milligan streets. The following traffic restrictions will be in place at the intersection:

Access to the Perth Arena car park will be ‘left in, left out’ on Wellington Street only
Cars heading east on Wellington Street - no right turn onto Milligan Street
Cars heading west on Wellington Street - no right turn into the Perth Arena car park
Cars heading north on Milligan Street - no right turn onto Wellington Street
On Perth Arena event days, a two-way traffic arrangement along Market Street will be in place to assist with post-event traffic exiting the Arena car park.

More info. http://www.mra.wa.gov.au/Projects/Perth ... source=eDM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

worzel

Re: Wellington Street Service Upgrade Works -April 7th

Postby worzel » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:11 am

It is getting to the point where it feels like City of Perth is trying to stop people cycling in to the city by creating a series of obstacles. :roll:

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:19 am

wonder if pedestrians can cross there

archetuthus

Postby archetuthus » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:06 pm

I emailed Main Roads asking about pedestrian crossings being active during the works and what was being done for the many cycling commuters that use this route. Only gotten the automatic response thus far. If/When I hear back ill post up the reply.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:34 pm

Please do archetuthus. Doubt we have been considered at all. It's going to be mightily inconvenient for the hundreds using Milligan Street to get to the PSP.

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:37 pm

worzel wrote:It is getting to the point where it feels like City of Perth is trying to stop people cycling in to the city by creating a series of obstacles. :roll:

I didn't think the City of Perth dealt with water, drainage, power, gas and telecommunications.

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:33 pm

What is anyone planning on doing to get over to the Northbridge side, heading North East?

Come from further West on Wellington and still use the footbridge, or head East and miss this intersection and go over the horse shoe?

worzel

Postby worzel » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:53 pm

Sinner wrote:
worzel wrote:It is getting to the point where it feels like City of Perth is trying to stop people cycling in to the city by creating a series of obstacles. :roll:

I didn't think the City of Perth dealt with water, drainage, power, gas and telecommunications.
They have to authorise it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:59 pm

worzel wrote:
Sinner wrote:

The client is MRA and infustructure is for COP, Western power, Atco, Telstra, Aarnet etc etc, nothing to do with Main Roads. This particular works (in red) is for new Western Power conduits which was to be a open excavation (5-6m wide and 2m deep same as to the east) which would of stopped you in your tracks. The contractor put forward the request to underground bore the conduits to minimise the congestion/impact, which was accepted. This does still require some pot-holeing to ensure the new conduits remain on line and miss existing services, hence the lane closure. Remember guys the workers, traffic control etc are just doing there job and all agree that the works on both sides of the CBD is a pain in the arse. Im not a supporter of the pond but think the city link should be a good thing for you commuters once completed

BTW the drainage, street lighting, some comms conduits are COP assets, as will be the final street scapeing etc. Water corp are also upgrading there main drainage line.......separate works and nearing completion

archetuthus

Postby archetuthus » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:33 am

MRA got back to me last night about this intersection:

Hi Archetuthus,
The eastern-most pedestrian crossing at this intersection will need to be closed to accommodate the works, however full pedestrian/cyclist movement will be maintained at the other three crossings, with crossing timings optimised as part of the traffic signal modifications.

If you have any further queries, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Regards,
Janelle

Janelle Gaunt
Communications Coordinator

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:06 am

archetuthus wrote:MRA got back to me last night about this intersection:

The eastern-most pedestrian crossing at this intersection will need to be closed to accommodate the works, however full pedestrian/cyclist movement will be maintained at the other three crossings, with crossing timings optimised as part of the traffic signal modifications.
Ahhh, that makes things a bit easier.
Cheers!

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:36 pm

The client is MRA and infustructure is for COP, Western power, Atco, Telstra, Aarnet etc etc, nothing to do with Main Roads.
Main Roads control temporary traffic management and they have an entire team set up just to manage all the CBD roadworks.

worzel

Postby worzel » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:04 pm

With the pedestrian crossing north-south on the western side of the intersection its not too bad in the morning.

Getting out was another matter last night. The city was gridlocked at 4.40 for some reason and after negotiating the Central Park exit / Hay St intersections of both William St and Milligan St that had impatient drivers blocking the intersections / turning lanes, I found myself forced into the northbound lane of Milligan St that is closed off. Thankfully someone let me across the front of them so I could get to the footpath.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:33 pm

Yep, this morning wasnt so bad crossing at the pedestrian crossing on the western side (perth arena side) crossing. this was about 6.40am though, so i wouldnt say peak hour.

Home time is via the horseshoe for me, so cant comment in the arvo.

worzel

Postby worzel » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:08 pm

jaseyjase wrote:Home time is via the horseshoe for me, so cant comment in the arvo.
I think I might try that tomorrow

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Mon May 19, 2014 9:15 am

Looks like Milligan and wellington is completely blocked off this morning, so had to ride up the footpath up Milligan after crossing from Arena side.

Can see that getting very congested during peak.