Mounts Bay Road Two-Way Project

rolandp

Mounts Bay Road Two-Way Project

Postby rolandp » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:26 pm

From City of Perth Council Minutes:
The first stage of implementation of the approved Masterplan is the two-way conversion of Mounts Bay Road between William and Mill Streets, and the installation of a new shared path to extend the existing bike network to William Street.
Works are programmed to commence in mid April 2014. However, this will be subject to scrutiny by the Inter-Agency Transport Working Group, chaired by Main Roads WA, in consideration of traffic flows around the city and any other traffic management plans that might impact on this project being constructed. Ultimately, the decision as to when it is best to construct this project will be made by this group.

Looking forward to this.

Red Rider

Re: Mounts Bay Road Two-Way Project

Postby Red Rider » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:30 am

I just fell off my chair!
Is there a map?

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:12 am

Red Rider wrote:I just fell off my chair!
Is there a map?
Yes and no. Yes, there is a map in the minutes (100-odd page document, but search for Schedule 8 ) but is only for the main development area, but does not show the extension of the shared path to William St, hence why I copied the relevant text, in particular, subject to group agreement, will start later this month.

There will still be intersections with buses leaving the station, but finally that little bit of shared path under the freeway will again take us somewhere.

If you travel around this area, there was some work recently to err disguise the route to the shared path that went down to the foreshore which was closed to build the Mandurah train line, or, to put a positive spin on it, potential forward work for this extension (and so no-one got lost by taking the old path to nowhere).

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:24 am

Work has started on building the shared path along Mounts Bay Road near the Convention Centre.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:22 pm

Heard from City of Perth today:
Mounts Bay road dedicated lanes will be open within a couple of weeks

Not currently working in the Perth CBD, but will be doing so again in the new year. Anyone seen what they will look like?

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:15 am

rolandp wrote:Heard from City of Perth today:
Mounts Bay road dedicated lanes will be open within a couple of weeks

Not currently working in the Perth CBD, but will be doing so again in the new year. Anyone seen what they will look like?

They are looking good already. It's a shared path next to the Busport which links William Street to the shared path at Spring Street. A few complications whilst those building Brookfield 2 do some work for the new footbridge over Mounts Bay Road, but it should prove to be a useful link.

Talks_to_Swans

Postby Talks_to_Swans » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:00 pm

According to Main Roads the shared path opens midday this Sunday. The road will probably open then but it will be interesting to see whether the shared path is open, and how usable it is.

https://www.mainroads.wa.gov.au/AboutMa ... tsbay.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:27 pm

My son's Yr 5 primary school class are doing a ride from Bull Creek to the city on Tuesday, this could come in handy!

crazioldjane

Postby crazioldjane » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:44 pm

we gate crashed the opening at about 5.30 this morning... just another bike path that doesn't give much consideration to foot/bike traffic mingling and then riding continuity... it will interesting to sit and watch the crowds spuiing out of the bus/train station and how it all goes... i already avoid the path along there if i can due to the crowded pedestrian chaos...it gets very narrow at mill street and i found it easier and quicker to jump onto the road and just do the TCL...for me a place to avoid except very early in the day...
" faith is the substance of things hoped for..the evidence of things not seen"

Talks_to_Swans

Postby Talks_to_Swans » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:04 pm

Just for once I would like to be surprised by the City of Perth doing something for cyclists. The shared use path was closed this morning.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:45 pm

Talks_to_Swans wrote: The shared use path was closed this morning.
Oh dear :( CoP FTW... again
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:21 pm

The path was open again at lunch time.
Mill St has had some paint applied also:

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:31 pm

Wasn't there already a bike turning lane on Mill St? Painted brown, and not as long as the new green one.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:16 pm

Yep, it was on the right side of the lanes next to the island, about 10 metres long. As Mounts Bay Rd is now two-way, with cars turning right from Mill onto Mounts Bay, that lane would be particularly hazardous, hence the new paint job.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:11 am

If you turn right from Mill St into Mounts Bay Rd, is there a way to get on the shared path? Or do you have to bowl through the pedestrians waiting at the kerb ramp next to the signals?

Talks_to_Swans

Postby Talks_to_Swans » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:51 am

Still closed again last night, but good luck to Mike Dufty's son, looking out the window at the weather I'm incredibly jealous. I hope the dolphins make an appearance for them.

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:50 pm

Worth noting that now the mounts bay road is changed, the traffic light sequence and priorities are changed at the mounts bay/william street intersection outside the esplanade station, so for those cycling into the city on the path by Elizabeth quay, which spits you out to that intersection, the pedestrians green light which most use to enter the road to head up the hill to the cbd is not when it used to be.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:00 am

Red Rider wrote:The path was open again at lunch time.
Mill St has had some paint applied also:
Using Red Rider's images, I took a ride here last night, currently not working in Perth CBD so interested to see how this works.

There are the bike lanes to get us OUT of Perth CBD, but none to get us IN. I wonder why?

And why is there 'end of 40kph' sign, same at corner of William St. Do we magically become less vulnerable at these intersections?

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:20 am

Although Mounts Bay Road went two way and the project includes some on road cycle facilities and a new shared path, the shared path isn't going to be open until next year. The guys constructing Brookfield 2 apparently need to dig holes in it to do surveys for foundations for their new pedestrian bridge across Mounts Bay Road, so the nice pristine shared path will be dug up. There's not much point opening up the path to close it again for the bridge surveys.

Talks_to_Swans

Postby Talks_to_Swans » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:48 am

Thanks for the update Sinner, it wouldn't be half so annoying if CoP just stated that it would be delayed, and why, instead of just ignoring the matter on their conversion update pages. As it was it was interesting salmoning up mounts bay road against the busses.
It may be overly pessimistic of me, but I feel that at some point the Elizabeth Quay William Street bike path will be closed and this will become the new route into the city. Here's hoping I'm wrong.

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:37 pm

The William Street shared path will change as the Elizabeth Quay works progress, but will be partly on the same alignment. So there will still be a route, but it might fluctuate a bit whilst works go on.

Talks_to_Swans

Postby Talks_to_Swans » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:37 pm

I really, REALLY, wanted to agree with Sinner and be an optimistic cyclist, but Main Roads are closing the Riverside Drive path and sending all of the cyclists along the new Mounts Bay Road shared path for at least three months. https://www.mainroads.wa.gov.au/UsingRo ... nance.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:07 pm

Looks like I'll be riding on the road. The Mounts Bay path is a deathtrap* waiting to happen with that much traffic on it.

It's annoying there is not a decent connection from the foreshore shared path onto the eastbound roadway from Pt Lewis to William St, which actually has a great shoulder for cycling. Unfortunately you need to either go cross country to get there or deal with two lanes of speeding traffic entering the freeway. A permanent path connection to the shoulder just before you go under the second tunnel would be fantabulous.

* Probably not death, but severe facial mangling

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:02 pm

I think for the more confident cyclist, William Street and the link to Point Lewis Rotary will be useful, particularly for heading towards the western suburbs. Coming east is a bit more challenging.

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:38 pm

Going east I was going to try parliament hill, mount street overpass and st George's terrace, then back down barrack st if you're going as far as the foreshore