Esperance to Albany ... Route Input

Aushiker

Esperance to Albany ... Route Input

Postby Aushiker » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:30 pm

It is getting around that time of the year to start planning an bit of escapism on the bike. I am looking to revisit Esperance but this time to ride west to Albany for a few days. Had thought of riding through to Perth again by a different route but the appeal of exploring as much of the coast as I can wins out this year.

If anyone knows of good camping spots especially west of Bremer Bay heading towards Albany. I think I will need an overnighter on that section. Any other thoughts welcome. I will be riding my Surly Long Haul Trucker so as long as the dirt roads are not sand traps should be good. The draft route is at http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4432720" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Andrew

Baalzamon

Re: Esperance to Albany ... Route Input

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:48 pm

200km mark there is Munglinup Beach Caravan Park if you need it.
Maybe wild camping at Little Beach
And when are you planning on going? If your happy I could be persuaded to tag along with my Surly LHT.
Now if I was to do this, fishing rod would be coming with me. Too many good spots to throw a line for some fresh fish. Catch what you can eat and that's it.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:28 pm

Thanks Stuart. At this stage it will be either late June/early July or more likely late November/early December ... need to allow a couple of weeks with busing to Esperance and then the same back from Albany.

Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:52 pm

Oh I thought you were perhaps cycling back from Albany. Lets just see if I get a job or not. If not gotta find out about centrelink n holidays :)
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:44 pm

Hi Andrew,
Your route looks OK but I don't know about the bits in the Fitzgerald National Park.
Back in my day a lot of that was 4WD. That was many years back and it has probably changed a lot.
Don't forget to call in when you get to Albany.

John

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:14 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Oh I thought you were perhaps cycling back from Albany. Lets just see if I get a job or not. If not gotta find out about centrelink n holidays :)
No time ... pushing my limits now :)

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:15 pm

John Lewis wrote:Hi Andrew,
Your route looks OK but I don't know about the bits in the Fitzgerald National Park.
Back in my day a lot of that was 4WD. That was many years back and it has probably changed a lot.
Don't forget to call in when you get to Albany.

John
Thanks John and will do. Planning to have a "day off" in town so will have the time to call by. With regards to Fitzgerald all pretty much 2WD roads now days. I don't think I picked any 4WD only roads but if I did they would be ones to camping areas ... easy enough to simply move on to somewhere else to camp.

One thing I would like to do is get into Bremer Bay via the sandbar but don't know when that closes up ... guess in summer so late November maybe to early. Anyway can ask at Quaarlup they should know at the time.

Andrew