Contacting councils nets results.

archetuthus

Contacting councils nets results.

Postby archetuthus » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:20 pm

If you've ever thought about incorrect signage, bike lanes, cleaning of road shoulders, any related bicycling infrastructure issue, no matter how small. Write an email to the local council.

On my daily commute I take an off ramp from Reid hwy through a rat run in Balga. It's less busy than mirrabooka ave at that time and actually has some bike lanes. Much to my surprise though they are actually signposted as a true bike lane only during school zone hours. The property's adjoining this shoulder all have huge frontages so not an issue with parking. So I emailed the city of stirling to question the legit act of the signs and whether the restriction could be removed and bike stencils painted so drivers were aware.

Much to my surprise as I'm probably the only person that would raise the complaint but I got a phone call back on the se day asking some questions and an email in the evening stating:

Dear OP
Thank you for your email in which you requested the City of Stirling to remove time restriction of the bike lane on Walderton Avenue and painting some bike stencils to make create a full time bicycle lane.
It appears that time restriction on the bicycle lane was introduced to ensure drivers don’t park on the bicycle lanes while picking-up and dropping-off school children. However, It seems also reasonable for those bicycle lanes to be effective bicycle lane all the time.
Walderton Road is going to be modified to reduce traffic speed. As part of this project Main Roads WA approved the installation of bicycle stencils on the bicycle lane. (Please refer to the attached plans for more information).
In the next few days I will liaise with Main Roads WA for the removal of the bicycle lane time restriction sign and the installation of additional bicycle stencils and signs as required.
I trust this information is satisfactory, however, if you wish to discuss this matter further, please do not hesitate to contact me at the City on 9205 8555.
Kind Regards

RESULT!

rheicel

Re: Contacting councils nets results.

Postby rheicel » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:25 am

Great response from your council. Well I got told by my council to wait as my request is under review an in budget consideration in the last 3 years. So this only means continuously inhaling dog poo on all my morning commute for now :(

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:32 am

My record is around 7 years to have bike signs installed on Loftus St/Thomas St 'emergency' lane, as they are not wide enough to fit a car, they are an ideal width for a bike lane, and we are currently using them as a bike lane. Response from City of Perth 'We will consider this for the near future'.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:44 am

I've been impressed with City of Stirling's recent work to get better infrastructure for cycling.

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:09 pm

Stirling has a pretty good focus and relevant staff to deal with cycling issues. Not everybody might agree with everything they do, but overall their work is bringing consistent improvements to enable safer cycling in their area.
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

Sweeper59

Postby Sweeper59 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:58 pm

From my experience, both as a cyclist and ex-council engineer, you only have to mention the words 'council liability' to get a response.

I also know that 'the squeaky wheel does get the oil' from Council. The more complaints they receive - the more likely they may address the issue. I use a free iPhone app called 'Snap, Send, Solve', allows you to photograph an issue, records the location on a map, and you can add a comment. The issue is then sent to the relevant section of Council. I reckon every cyclist should download this app - and use it regularly.
Giant TCR 0
Nobody looks back on their life....and remembers the nights they got plenty of sleep !!

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:27 pm

Yes, I was also going to suggest Snap, Send, Solve. I've had a 100% strike rate with issues raised via that app so far.

MN GLXR

Postby MN GLXR » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:13 pm

Me too TraceyG.