City of armadale grand fondo

AdsPear

City of armadale grand fondo

Postby AdsPear » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:58 pm

I was wondering if anyone else has signed up for the grand fondo this year? I've just registered and at the moment am doing it solo, as all of my mates are busy or not interested. Did anyone else do it last year? Would you recommend trying to find other riders around the same speed as myself or should I just not worry and enjoy myself? I normally ride most weeknights on my own, so i don't think it will be too much of an issue, but will be he longest ride and the most climbing I've done so should stretch me. Thoughts?

flashpixx

Re: City of armadale grand fondo

Postby flashpixx » Tue May 06, 2014 1:19 pm

I was thinking the same thing myself. I haven't registered as yet. My longest ride is 55 km last week. (Maylands - Freo via Subi). I have only been riding for 3 weeks, after a 15 year break, and I'm the wrong side of 50!!

I'm keen to do it as a 70km ride is on my schedule, but not sure about the hills.
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Tue May 06, 2014 7:04 pm

Yes - 150km ride.
Hopefully we have both done enough :-)
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

AdsPear

Postby AdsPear » Tue May 06, 2014 11:57 pm

Good to see there's a few others on here doing it. I'm really looking forward to it, just hoping that the weather is good too! The hills still worry me a bit, but I've found a couple of smaller hills near my place that I am going to do repeats on to try and build up my strength.
Might even meet a few people from here on the day

jonhanson

Postby jonhanson » Wed May 07, 2014 12:16 pm

Cancelled I heard. Not sure if it's right or not ?

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Wed May 07, 2014 12:42 pm

jonhanson wrote:Cancelled I heard. Not sure if it's right or not ?
Definitely not cancelled: http://armadalegf.com.au/
Gordon

jonhanson

Postby jonhanson » Wed May 07, 2014 2:31 pm

Thanks for clarifying flashpixx

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Wed May 07, 2014 5:16 pm

Racing in the Kermesse but not doing the GF.
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

chiselite

Postby chiselite » Sat May 10, 2014 10:54 am

I'm toying with the idea of doing a 70km ride. Only just found out about the event so I haven't registered yet. Kinda worried because my longest ride to date has been 40km.

If I do register, I won't have any friends to do the ride with. I'll be down to form a rag-tag team if circumstances permit.

AdsPear

Postby AdsPear » Sat May 10, 2014 10:56 pm

chiselite wrote:I'm toying with the idea of doing a 70km ride. Only just found out about the event so I haven't registered yet. Kinda worried because my longest ride to date has been 40km.

If I do register, I won't have any friends to do the ride with. I'll be down to form a rag-tag team if circumstances permit.

I'm in the same boat as you, although my longest ride is 60ks, haven't climbed over 400m in a ride before so the hills might test me. I'm riding solo as well, so hoping to find some people about the same ability to enjoy it with

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Sat May 10, 2014 11:40 pm

That makes three :D I'm doing a 70km ride tomorrow, but expect the hills will be alot gentler than next weekend. I will decide by Wednesday when I know how the weather looks.
AdsPear wrote:
chiselite wrote:I'm toying with the idea of doing a 70km ride. Only just found out about the event so I haven't registered yet. Kinda worried because my longest ride to date has been 40km.

I'm in the same boat as you, although my longest ride is 60ks, haven't climbed over 400m in a ride before so the hills might test me. I'm riding solo as well, so hoping to find some people about the same ability to enjoy it with
Gordon

chiselite

Postby chiselite » Wed May 14, 2014 9:55 pm

Well, I've finally committed to the ride and registered. No wimping out like I did when the Bupa Bike Hike was around the corner. I hope I run into you guys there!

AdsPear

Postby AdsPear » Wed May 14, 2014 11:05 pm

Yeah hope to run into you too. I got my pack today, not sure what the little toolkit has to do with cycling?!?

I might be easy to spot, I had a crash on my bike on monday, so i've got bandages up my arms at the moment. I came off doing about 40k's on Beeliar drive when i mistimed going up the kerb... lucky my bike wasn't too badly damaged, only a buckled wheel and had to get the brake lever straightened.

chiselite

Postby chiselite » Thu May 15, 2014 6:50 pm

AdsPear wrote:Yeah hope to run into you too. I got my pack today, not sure what the little toolkit has to do with cycling?!?

I might be easy to spot, I had a crash on my bike on monday, so i've got bandages up my arms at the moment. I came off doing about 40k's on Beeliar drive when i mistimed going up the kerb... lucky my bike wasn't too badly damaged, only a buckled wheel and had to get the brake lever straightened.
Well, if you see an Asian guy riding a Reid bike that's a little too big for him and kitted out in Reid branded clothes, that'll be me.

AdsPear

Postby AdsPear » Thu May 15, 2014 10:08 pm

I'll keep an eye out, I'll be on a white Avanti Giro with a blue/yellow/white top on

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Sun May 18, 2014 12:55 pm

Well so much for that then :-( work schedule changed so I'm looking outside from inside today.

Hope all the riders have a great day, take care on the wet roads

managed a 66 km peddle yesterday so all is not lost
Gordon

chiselite

Postby chiselite » Sun May 18, 2014 2:42 pm

Congrats Ad for finishing the ride! The ride was a lot better with someone else around. I hope to see you at another one.
flashpixx wrote:Well so much for that then :-( work schedule changed so I'm looking outside from inside today.

Bad luck mate. Don't worry, you may have dodged a bullet. Ad and I were struggling quite a bit on both hills but we finished ahead of quite a lot of people. Heaps of people were struggling with the hill climbs apparently to the point where people were pushing each other to the top. It was a pretty amazing day though.

AdsPear

Postby AdsPear » Sun May 18, 2014 7:41 pm

Thanks Chris. I really enjoyed it, pity
It was so wet thou! You did pretty good too for the first time in the hills, and yeah much better riding with company as well. My wife was saying when she drove up the hill there was a few people pushing their bikes up the first hill, so that makes me feel better that we got all the way up that one. My bike was pretty filthy my time I got it home.

Gotta say it was a well organized event to, with the exception of the lack of signage out the back of champion lakes, the rest was well managed

There is a photo of us at the start line on pihcg's Facebook page as well

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun May 18, 2014 7:57 pm

Would that be Nettleton Rd hill? I know the 150km route was doing that. I was going to ride to Jarrahdale today but bailed when I saw that. I ride up Nettleton Rd.
It kicks 3 times very nicely then settles down easily.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

AdsPear

Postby AdsPear » Sun May 18, 2014 9:46 pm

No the one in the 70k ride was soldiers rd leading up to churchmans brook

AdsPear

Postby AdsPear » Mon May 19, 2014 11:01 pm

results are online now too: http://www.bluechipresults.com.au/Resul ... =573&EId=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Tue May 20, 2014 12:06 am

chiselite wrote:Congrats Ad for finishing the ride! The ride was a lot better with someone else around. I hope to see you at another one.
flashpixx wrote:Well so much for that then :-( work schedule changed so I'm looking outside from inside today.

Bad luck mate. Don't worry, you may have dodged a bullet. Ad and I were struggling quite a bit on both hills but we finished ahead of quite a lot of people. Heaps of people were struggling with the hill climbs apparently to the point where people were pushing each other to the top. It was a pretty amazing day though.
Well done to you both!
Gordon