City of Vincent - Consulting on Infrastructure Changes

Aushiker

Re: City of Vincent - Consulting on Infrastructure Changes

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:47 pm

and the Guardian Express take on the evening.

Andrew

archetuthus

Postby archetuthus » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:54 pm

Aushiker wrote:
I don't know if this is the business but the comments are not to positive and seem to tie in with what happened. Anyone have anything more specific?

Andrew
Its not exactly specific but these few articles show that the owners are regulars:

http://perthvoiceinteractive.com/2013/0 ... r-council/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"“You come here week after week and hurl insults at councillors who are volunteering their time to take this council forward,” she said."

http://perthvoiceinteractive.com/2014/04/03/targeted/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Stuart Lofthouse, who operates Greens & Co on Oxford Street, is a regular and vocal attendee of council meetings. He claims council processes lack transparency and that the council often fails to follow its own processes"

http://perthvoiceinteractive.com/2013/0 ... 1am-close/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Sixty-two locals, including diehard Leedy critics Stuart Lofthouse (from Greens and Co) and Debbie Saunders opposed the extension."

And this falls in line with comments made by the mayor.

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:22 pm

Time to make Greens and Co the new coffee stop for bunch rides. They'll love that

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:50 pm

dmwill wrote:Time to make Greens and Co the new coffee stop for bunch rides. They'll love that
and take up a car parking spot at the same time :)

Andrew

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:19 pm

dmwill wrote:Time to make Greens and Co the new coffee stop for bunch rides. They'll love that
:idea:

There I was thinking I would have to stop going there - but: nonviolent direct action with cake? Everyone's a winner! :wink:
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Clownshoes

Postby Clownshoes » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:45 pm

I can't fathom why a known attractor of bicyclist activity (cafe) would be so against a plan that makes cycling more accessible and might therefore increase patronage at their business. 6 bikes = 1 car's footprint. What's a couple of carparking bays?!

SInce they have been so constructive in their criticism of City of Vincent's plans, I suggest people here leave equally informed comments about their offerings on Urbanspoon :mrgreen: :

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/338/1449093 ... eederville" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wexford

Postby wexford » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:48 pm

Did Greens and Co not recently have a couple of Oxford St car bays replaced with extended pavement seating for moar customers? I recall seeing something being built out the front recently. Seems a bit hypocritical.

Perhaps they're just jealous that Crank'd are getting all the cyclist business :-)

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:26 pm

Either way, the end result is the plan was unanimously passed, I'm really looking forward to the reduction in car traffic and the area will be a better place to visit. There is a huge area of central Leederville taken up by car parking, good to see the public spaces returning to use by people. I'm very confident the concerned citizens will be converted to happy faces when the plan is in place.

archetuthus

Postby archetuthus » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:26 pm

The council Meeting minutes are now available if anyone would like to read them

http://www.vincent.wa.gov.au/files/7b1a ... 140722.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:40 pm

archetuthus wrote:The council Meeting minutes are now available if anyone would like to read them

http://www.vincent.wa.gov.au/files/7b1a ... 140722.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks. Page 54 refers. The comments attachments are interesting reading.

Andrew

chee

Postby chee » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:50 pm

The other cafe in question is 50ml.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:26 pm

archetuthus wrote:The council Meeting minutes are now available if anyone would like to read them

I couldn't help but giggle at this bit:
2.20m wide verge - Comprising a 1.50m wide concrete footpath (existing) and a 0.7mm wide nature strip (to be paved/mulched/planted).
0.7mm nature strip? So.... single blades of grass then?

(You give a detail-oriented, compliance person a document and you take your risks :D )
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

hooman

Postby hooman » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:52 pm

Goodness me! Just imagine! If these losers have such foul mouths in public, just imagine the filth they harbor behind the scenes! I'd hate to think what the health department would find behind the counters!! YUK!!

If you can't show care, you can't provide good service (as shows in the horrible reviews of their establishment)!

They don't deserve to have a successful cafe. I sure as heck ain't ever going there!
'09 Giant TCR C2 Shimano 105
'10 Cervelo RS Shimano Ultegra
'11 Time NXR Instinct SRAM RED Black
'12 Pinarello Dogma 2 Shimano DuraAce DI2

archetuthus

Postby archetuthus » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:14 am

Further to the original stories WATODAY have written a piece as Mr Lofthouse has now set up some signs at his shop:
http://www.watoday.com.au/comment/leede ... zwege.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dispute2.0

Postby dispute2.0 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:37 am

archetuthus wrote:Further to the original stories WATODAY have written a piece as Mr Lofthouse has now set up some signs at his shop:
http://www.watoday.com.au/comment/leede ... zwege.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don't read the comments, don't read the comments, don't read the comments *scrolls down* "ah crap"

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:45 am

dispute2.0 wrote:Don't read the comments, don't read the comments, don't read the comments *scrolls down* "ah crap"
The comments are better here :)

Andrew

dispute2.0

Postby dispute2.0 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:02 pm

Also looks like the owner 50ml is trying to defend her position on her FB page
Neil Francis You come across as quite obnoxious in the council minutes that are now out. Instead of acting and speaking as you did, you could have made the argument about poor design at the council meeting. I usually drive now, but was once a regular commuting cyclist who has often had car doors opened into my path and I agree that placing the lanes along footpaths is safer - but this would still require widening the paths, and would still mean losing the parking bays. So I'm not convinced you're really supportive of that. You could also have argued for more parking being created nearby, but you didn't do that either.

http://www.vincent.wa.gov.au/.../7b1acc ... 140722.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm pretty reluctant to go into 50mL now when I've been a regular customer at night - the Luna Cinema's cafe is only a short distance away and also open late.
15 hours ago · Edited · Like
50mL That's a shame neil, and if last night was the only interaction i had ever had with council, i could understand your views. Truth is, i have been attending nearly every meeting for the past 7 years. I spend many hours a week reading through reports and emailling council. The frustration that results from this is simply too great to explain. I do this because i care about leederville and don't want to see it ruined like subi or cottesloe. I don't complain when derogatory or sarcastic comments are made about me by the mayor or councillors, i accept the frustration is mutual.
What i don't accept though is being told to leave a meeting for something i simply did not do. I don't accept the verbal abuse and physical abuse inflicted on myself and stuart by an acting director and 2 men who did not identify themselves.i don't accept the subsequent lies that are being told by the mayor and some members of the public and i certainly don't accept the malicious remarks being made by cyclists who are wrongly accusing us of being anti cycling. Stuart doesn't even own a car and uses a bike to get around and i have read countless reports on safety standards and best practice in bike lanes and have questioned council constantly about their failure to comply with the austroads standards.
I cannot make people think of me in any particular way but i do hope that they either listen to the audio of the meeting or read the article in the Voice newspaper which offers the only version that even begins to resemble the truth.
Again, Im sorry you feel like you do but i assure you my actions all come from a place of concern to preserve this community.
Debbie Saunders
10 hours ago · Like

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:13 pm

In Sydney we had irrational opposition to the Bourke Street cycle path by traders claiming that removing parking spaces would hurt business but this has not been the case. The article below is worth reading in its entirety but I've grabbed the relevant section relating to the business case for bike paths.

Research by Alison Lee sought to identify the economic value of replacing car parking with bike parking in shopping strips. The case study in Lygon Street Carlton in Melbourne showed that cycling generates 3.6 times more expenditure. Even though a car user spends more per hour on average compared to a bike rider, the small area of public space required for bike parking suggests that each square metre allocated to bike parking generates $31 per hour, compared to $6 generated for each square metre used for a car parking space, with food/drink and clothing retailers benefiting the most from bike riders.

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/rooted/2011/ ... se-prices/

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:12 pm

From the City of Vincent ...
The first phase of the City’s Bike Network Plan has commenced! The works will transform key arterial roads and create safer and smarter cycling routes....

Phase 1 - Establishing an east-west connector route across Vincent
» Vincent Street (from Oxford to Bulwer): On-path bike lanes

» Bulwer Street (from Vincent to Palmerston): On-road bike lanes

We are starting with works on the northern side of Bulwer Street, between Vincent and Fitzgerald Streets, and then Fitzgerald to Palmerston. We will then move on to the southern side of the street.

Works will occur 7.00am - 4.00pm, Monday to Friday and will take around 8-12 weeks.

The works will include improvements to the access ramps at intersections for pedestrians and cyclists, the embaying of parking in certain sections of Bulwer Street and the installation of on-road bike lanes between Vincent and Palmerston Streets.

Works on Vincent Street, between Charles and Bulwer Streets, are due to commence on Sunday 24 August, weather permitting.
Andrew

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:27 am

Having read that response from Debbie Saunders I almost have to change my view about them. She is absolutely right to be concerned about door zone cycle lanes that Vincent are installing.
That said, i really dont see any alternative way of providing cycle lanes unless you remove parking completely on one side of the street to avoid the door zone issue.

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:03 pm

City of Vincent mayor has confirmed the bike plan is still going ahead despite the recent 3.2m budget bungle

watoday.com.au

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:19 pm

From City of Vincent Facebook:
Roadworks alert… Oxford Street (Richmond Street to Anzac Road) to create new bike lanes. Works start this Monday 22 September, 7am to 4pm. There will be road closures within the work zone, plus all on-road parking will be banned while the works are in progress. Detours will be in place.

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:05 pm

Found today that Richmond St Leederville heading west x Loftus St is now left turn only. This is a somewhat popular east-west run to get to the Freeway PSP.

Map here

City of Vincent comments here, council minutes

No mention of impact to cyclists, only cars and parking. Seems it is a six month trial. Now cyclists have to move to the footpath to cross Loftus St.

Dept of Transport map indicates it is a local bicycle friendly street (link)

Hugor

Postby Hugor » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:41 pm

wellington_street wrote: That said, i really dont see any alternative way of providing cycle lanes unless you remove parking completely on one side of the street to avoid the door zone issue.

From a very interesting article. I'm also opposed to the door zone lanes on Bulwer. They will cause accidents.
If your going to do it, then do it properly. Giving people a false sense of safety with these painted lanes is worse than doing nothing at all IMO.

http://www.vox.com/2014/9/8/6121129/bik ... c-new-york" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:28 pm

nachoman wrote:Found today that Richmond St Leederville heading west x Loftus St is now left turn only. This is a somewhat popular east-west run to get to the Freeway PSP.
Request for something like this to be installed