City of Vincent - Consulting on Infrastructure Changes

Aushiker

City of Vincent - Consulting on Infrastructure Changes

Postby Aushiker » Fri May 02, 2014 6:39 pm

The proposed Bike Network Plan will spend an unprecedented $2.5 million and deliver 10km of much-needed cycling paths and infrastructure, which will make Vincent one of Australia’s most bike-friendly Councils. The Plan aims to create safer and smarter routes which encourage people to cycle, help relieve traffic congestion and improve access between our urban villages.

The new cycling paths have been carefully researched and chosen by the City . In 2012, the City contracted AURECON Transport Engineers and Planners to develop the Plan. The draft was then presented to other expert groups and promoted to the community for comment (via workshops and online surveys, Dec 2012 - Feb 2013) before being approved in principle for formal consultation in October last year.
As part of the City’s overall Greening Plan, reconfiguring verges will result in opportunities to plant trees and create waterwise garden beds in the nib areas with more appropriate species that require little water or fertiliser. We’ll make the most of the opportunity.

Community consultation

We’re consulting the community on these important infrastructure components in two stages:
- Vincent/Bulwer Streets - between 28 April - 23 May 2014
- Oxford Street and Scarborough Beach Road - between 30 May - 20 June 2014.
A detailed brochure outlining works on Vincent/Bulwer Streets is being delivered to all houses surrounding the area directly affected by the works between 28 April and 5 May, but can also be accessed here. Please take the time to read it and consider commenting on the Plan - we welcome all feedback, reasons why you oppose the Plan, or positive comments and support for what we're trying to do.

Comments can be made online.

Andrew

nachoman

Re: City of Vincent - Consulting on Infrastructure Changes

Postby nachoman » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:38 pm

From City of Vincent Facebook:

"Very exciting! Last Tuesday, Council approved in principle the install of new bike lanes along Vincent and Bulwer streets, reflecting the very positive community feedback received. The decision incorporates four additional recommendations that came from our extensive community consultation campaign, which aim to ensure people using the paths at crossing points get priority over vehicles. All this will be reported to Council on 22 July and if approved, the works on Vincent and Bulwer streets will start within the next three months! Thanks to everyone who commented! Read more: http://www.vincent.wa.gov.au/Your_Commu ... _principle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; "

Grev

Postby Grev » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:01 pm

Wow, this is good work by Vincent. Just imagine how much better it will be when they are taken over by the City of Perth.

Just a minute - I think I have said something wrong!!

archetuthus

Postby archetuthus » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:32 pm

Just got a reply email from City Of Vincent after filling this in way back in may:

Subject: FW: Post-consultation communication > Bike Plan
Hi everyone

Thank you for commenting on the Vincent Bike Network Plan; we appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback and help us in our decision making.

Please see the web pages below for where it’s all currently at. Note that the Oxford Street section of the Plan is going to Council next month (we’ll email you with the results; you can look out for it in upcoming agendas via the ‘Agenda and Minutes’ page of our website, here). http://www.vincent.wa.gov.au/Your_Counc ... da_Minutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

> Vincent/Bulwer Streets - Approved in principle by Council at 24 June meeting; read more here. (http://www.vincent.wa.gov.au/Your_Commu ... _principle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) Recommendations going back to Council 22 July meeting.

> Scarborough Beach Road - Approved at the 8 July Council Meeting; read more here. (http://www.vincent.wa.gov.au/Your_Commu ... n_approved" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Thanks again everyone.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:57 pm

It seems that the Oxford Street plans are not being appreciated ...
THE first voices of dissent to the City of Vincent’s Bike Network Plan were heard at last week’s council meeting.

A petition, signed by 75 people, was submitted to council requesting the Oxford Street plans be abolished due to the added safety risks when people leave driveways and shortening of footpaths.

The petition highlighted the dedicated bike path along Britannia Reserve, which could be used by cyclists as an alternative to an Oxford Street cycle path.
Full article at the Guardian Express

If you have views on this please let the City of Vincent know, please post a comment on the Guardian Express.

Andrew

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:07 pm

It also indicates:
A Mt Hawthorn cyclist also spoke against the plan at the meeting and said the demand did not justify the expense.

Own up, was it a forum member?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:49 pm

Also there is an analogy in there.
“Without this infrastructure, you don’t get the growth in cycling,” just like we build more roads and they will be used or add more lanes and they will be used.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

archetuthus

Postby archetuthus » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:03 pm

I think maybe a few of us need to go to the next council meeting and air our views. Just got another response from city of Vincent.

Hi everyone

Following our previous email from yesterday – we wish to correct our notice regarding upcoming consideration of the Bike Plan by Council.

Please note that the Oxford Street section of the Bike Plan will also be reported to Council at the 22nd July 2014 meeting. This is in addition to the final consideration of the Vincent/Bulwer Street proposal.

It was originally intended that this go to the August 2014 meeting however as the report was completed early the Director of Technical Services included this in the 22 July 2014 Council agenda with the approval of the Acting Chief Executive Officer.

Please also note that if you wish to attend the 22 July Council meeting, public question time commences at around 6.00pm and each member of the public who wishes to speak has 3 minutes to address the Council on this issue.

If you have any further queries regarding this matter please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:51 am

archetuthus wrote:I think maybe a few of us need to go to the next council meeting and air our views. Just got another response from city of Vincent.
If you get along (great suggestion BTW) please do update us on what happens.

Regards
Andrew

archetuthus

Postby archetuthus » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:25 pm

Got held up at work and couldn't make it. I hope some others here got down to have a say.

archetuthus

Postby archetuthus » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:51 pm

Well sounds like I missed something big. Saw this on BTA Facebook

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:50 am

Not good. Reminds me of a workshop at the City of Melville on their bike plan. Meeting starts, and local gentleman gets up and tells exactly what he thought of us inconsiderate cyclists, and walks out.

Glad BTA made it to the Vincent meeting and aushiker or cyclesnail hopefully will give us an update.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:31 am

rolandp wrote:Glad BTA made it to the Vincent meeting and aushiker or cyclesnail hopefully will give us an update.
It was Geraldine that made the meeting; I was at a Fremantle Bicycle User Group meeting. Some small improvements to Hampton Road coming for local cyclists BTW.

Andrew

Grev

Postby Grev » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:39 am

The BTA statement above is a good summary. About 6 speakers spoke in favour - supporting their case with reasoned arguments and referenced facts.

Those against (few in number) resorted to barrages of foul language and, as noted above, a wrestling demonstration I had not seen since watching it on TV in my youth!

End result - not sure? Those against the cycling plan must have been very dismayed by the bogan-like behaviour of the people they will now be limped in with.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:13 am

Geraldine's post on the Bicycle Transport Alliance Facebook page has been quoted on ABC 720 this morning as part of an interview with the Mayor the City of Vincent. It seems the two aggressive opponents are local business people on Oxford Street who the Mayor of Vincent commented they oppose every the council does.

Also it seems that the opposition is about a few car parking bays ... I don't understand how they seem to think a few car bays is going to make that much difference to their business versus making it a much more pleasant place for PEOPLE to go and therefore spend money in their vary business.

Well done to the Bicycle Transport Alliance and the City of Vincent on putting up this bike plan. Bring it on and by all accounts and the way the Mayor spoke it is going ahead.

Regards
Andrew

archetuthus

Postby archetuthus » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:29 am

If i had have been there i could have quoted the data showing that cycle lanes improve spending at local business's.

Just a note this also made 'the west' - http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/pair- ... zvwsx.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

archetuthus

Postby archetuthus » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:53 am

The 720 interview is now live online - https://soundcloud.com/720abcperth/my-s ... onal-abuse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:43 pm

Can we ask what businesses oppose this?

dampier

Postby dampier » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:57 pm

They are cafe owners

archetuthus

Postby archetuthus » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:15 pm

From what I've read online, so don't take this as fact, greens & co. Maybe take your caffeine buying fix elsewhere.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:21 pm

archetuthus wrote:The 720 interview is now live online - https://soundcloud.com/720abcperth/my-s ... onal-abuse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the link.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:34 pm

archetuthus wrote:From what I've read online, so don't take this as fact, greens & co. Maybe take your caffeine buying fix elsewhere.
From the BTA Facebook page ...
Yep, that's them. Mr Stadler & Mrs Waldorf. Serial offenders. They hate bikes, nature parks, rainbows, puppy dogs and kittens.
and from a Facebook about Greens & Co page ...
arrogant owners only concerned with their own interests - no community spirit at all
I don't know if this is the business but the comments are not to positive and seem to tie in with what happened. Anyone have anything more specific?

Andrew

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:41 pm

ABC News Article:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-23/p ... ed/5617488" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brilliant quotes from the Mayor.
"When you bring out bike plans there is concern about the loss of car bays and their general effect on the street but what it actually shows is in fact the opposite; that if you put in cycling lanes you actually get more economic activity, cyclists drop by, they linger longer.

"Of course, it's not just about that, it is about creating safer streets, being smarter and ultimately saying that we [value] people, pedestrian and cyclists, before cars."

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:23 pm

Article online at the West Australian.

Andrew

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:36 pm

Scott_C wrote:ABC News Article:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-23/p ... ed/5617488" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Disgraceful! I understand people being passionate about issues and getting worked up. I do. But you know you are gone too far when:

"There were scuffles between rangers and the two individuals and the police were called in."
<removed by request>