City of Vincent - Consulting on Infrastructure Changes

wellington_street

Re: City of Vincent - Consulting on Infrastructure Changes

Postby wellington_street » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:55 am

nachoman wrote:Found today that Richmond St Leederville heading west x Loftus St is now left turn only. This is a somewhat popular east-west run to get to the Freeway PSP.

Map here

City of Vincent comments here, council minutes

No mention of impact to cyclists, only cars and parking. Seems it is a six month trial. Now cyclists have to move to the footpath to cross Loftus St.

Dept of Transport map indicates it is a local bicycle friendly street (link)
Thanks for the heads up. Of course cyclists aren't even considered.

NewStew

Postby NewStew » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:57 am

Actually I have to give props to the City of Vincent as they are trying to do the right thing by bikes and generally doing a good job - for example while the bike lane up Vincent is in between the traffic and the parking the lane is going to be 1.8m wide and therefore plenty of room to be in the lane away from the traffic and away from the door zone.... the only thing that would make that better (without being totally separated) would be to mark a zone between the cars and the lane (making the lane a bit smaller) to encourage less experienced riders to stay out of the door zone.

Oh and the sign above would be perfect.

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:22 pm

nachoman wrote:Found today that Richmond St Leederville heading west x Loftus St is now left turn only.
On closer inspection there is no signage to indicate left turn only, only 'No Right Turn'. So I guess we can navigate the seagull island and go straight still ? :roll:

http://imgur.com/TFilH3V" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:53 pm

nachoman wrote:
nachoman wrote:Found today that Richmond St Leederville heading west x Loftus St is now left turn only.
On closer inspection there is no signage to indicate left turn only, only 'No Right Turn'. So I guess we can navigate the seagull island and go straight still ? :roll:

http://imgur.com/TFilH3V" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Based on the photo, yes you can go straight.

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:46 pm

Left turn only sign is now in place at Richmond St

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:56 am

nachoman wrote:Left turn only sign is now in place at Richmond St
With bicycles excepted plate?

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:25 am

Anyone seen this in Newcastle Street, Leederville?
The former four-lane pavement has been resurfaced to create a parking lane, door zone shoulder(?) and then a traffic lane but the strange thing is that bicycle symbols have been placed in the traffic lane. I thought to myself that maybe Council have realised door zone bike lanes are a terrible idea? But then I remembered they are currently spending $2m to put in door zone bike lanes...

What's also strange is that the road has been like this with no line marking on the red/black asphalt join since December...

Hugor

Postby Hugor » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:44 am

I wouldn't ride in that red lane. You'd be asking for a dooring incident. I would ride in the traffic lane and use the red lane as my door zone buffer.
Drivers would get annoyed and probably aggressive that I wasn't using the obviously marked bike lane.
Some would perform dangerous passes or road rage to demonstrate their frustrations.
Inexperienced cyclists would use the lanes thinking they were safe, but actually at greater danger than if they were using a regular road with no bike lane.
Nice work City of Vincent!
Its great that you went to all the effort of a user consultation only to ignore the advice and waste shire funds on a pointless project.
At least I pay my rates to Bayswater!

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:54 am

The other stupid item is the solid centreline - illegal to safely pass a cyclist who is riding where the symbols are. Hopefully we get the 1m legislation that makes it legal to cross the centreline to overtake

NewStew

Postby NewStew » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:03 pm

wellington_street wrote:...... But then I remembered they are currently spending $2m to put in door zone bike lanes...
Actually the works on Oxford St look pretty good (I live just off there) - the bike lane being installed is very wide and you should be able to ride along about 0.5m inside the white line and be clear of the door zone. Would have preferred better but it will be a whole lot better than it was where you were constantly pushed into the door zone (they created the extra space by indenting the parking bays). The council also lobbied to get the speed limit lowered on Oxford St which is also a plus.

Probably the only thing that I think they could have done better on Oxford St (given the constraints of not wanting to reduce pedestrian amenity by removing the median space) is to paint it up with a clearly marked door zone and a skinnier bike lane - that way inexperienced riders (who will be attracted by the seemingly safe infrastructure) will ride in the safe part of the current bike lane.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:47 pm

Sounds promising NewStew, I look forward to riding it. I have ridden the recent work on Bulwer and it sounds similar to those, which aren't great but aren't skinny door zone lanes.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed May 13, 2015 10:24 pm

Rode Oxford St for the first time since the bike lanes were put in. They are Ok...ish...wider than the door zone lanes in the CBD but still in the door zone and traffic speeds are quite high still (60+). Heading north they stop at Britannia Road (I think it is) and abandon you to ride in the right lane on an uphill grade to the lights at Scarb Beach Rd. Heading south they abandon you in front of the stadium to deal with parked cars. The transition at the end of the bike lane is pretty rubbish too.

Also rode into town from Leederville via Vincent/Bulwer/Palmerston Streets recently. Basically nothing has changed between Oxford St and Charles St - the path is a horribly bumpy, jarring ride and still doesn't have "shared path" signs or markings. Door zone lanes on Bulwer are similar to Oxford St but feel a bit more comfortable. The eastbound pinch point at Fitzgerald St is pretty bad too - difficult merge while drivers are accelerating after the red light.

Great to see cycling investment but the details of the implementation are sorely lacking still.