Curtin Ave Cottesloe

flashpixx

Curtin Ave Cottesloe

Postby flashpixx » Sat May 03, 2014 7:17 pm

Riding down to Fremantle tomorrow via Stubbs Tce and Claremont Ave. My memory of Curtin Ave is that it doesnt appear great (safe) for cyclists. Is it OK, or should I shoot down Grant St to Marine Pde? What about the Marine Pde / Curtin roundabout?

https://www.google.com.au/maps/(AT)-31.987 ... a=!5m1!1e3 I do like this map :D

Really do appreciate the ongoing advice re paths and routes, thanks guys and gals :D
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

velocopedant

Re: Curtin Ave Cottesloe

Postby velocopedant » Sat May 03, 2014 7:40 pm

Curtain Ave has a sealed shoulder all the way through. Add to that, there are no parked cars or 'dooring zones' to contend with. It's my normal route when heading towards Freo.

dampier

Postby dampier » Sat May 03, 2014 7:44 pm

I ride that way most days, just take the PSP to grant street station and onto the cycle lane on Curtin Ave. If you are worried about the roundabout, take the path to the left and it will return you to the lane after the roundabout.

SquareWheels

Postby SquareWheels » Sat May 03, 2014 9:22 pm

Can third the previous replies. I ride Curtin ave on a fairly regular basis. It's one of the better stretches of road for sure. Depending on what time you are riding it seems to me that most folk in cars are used to lots of bikes along there and tend to act well.
I got hit by a car that failed to give way once - it really hurt

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Sat May 03, 2014 10:43 pm

Thanks all. Looking forward to the ride :D
Gordon

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Sun May 04, 2014 5:58 pm

First ride down to Freo, really enjoyed it thanks. Longest ride to date of 55km after only having the Domane for 3 and a bit weeks. Not bad for a 55 yo who hasn't ridden a bike, or done any other exercise for 15 years! Lost 6 kg too :D
Gordon

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Sun May 04, 2014 8:52 pm

Good stuff Flash, happy exploring. :)

Trucker Jord

Postby Trucker Jord » Sun May 18, 2014 10:27 pm

Some roadwork is going on along curtin ave near eric st at the moment. They've blocked off the shoulder with witches hats so now you have to mix into the main traffic lane with the heavy vehicles heading into port. Still a 60 zone and no signage warning motorists that the shoulder is closed or to expect cyclists to have to mix with traffic. Not much fun at dusk on way home from work on friday.

Anyone know when the psp will get constructed to freo? Or has it been mothballed by the gov?

the-waves

Postby the-waves » Sat May 24, 2014 5:35 pm

Trucker Jord wrote:Some roadwork is going on along curtin ave near eric st at the moment. They've blocked off the shoulder with witches hats so now you have to mix into the main traffic lane with the heavy vehicles heading into port. Still a 60 zone and no signage warning motorists that the shoulder is closed or to expect cyclists to have to mix with traffic. Not much fun at dusk on way home from work on friday.

Anyone know when the psp will get constructed to freo? Or has it been mothballed by the gov?
Would also like to know about this - you have to worry when Curtin Avenue is regarded as one of the better bike paths.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Sun May 25, 2014 1:07 am

City of Fremantle was given a grant for design work for the PSP from North Freo to Freo. The remainder of the missing link is not listed as commencing this year or next:
http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/activetr ... /25720.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The WABN Plan states:
Grant Street to Fremantle along the Perth–Fremantle Railway

The existing PSP from Perth finishes at the Grant Street Station in Cottesloe. From this point to Fremantle cyclists are required to travel on-road in sealed shoulders and through signalised intersections that do not have provisions for cyclists.

The first stage of the PSP extension will continue through to Jarrad Street just south of Cottesloe Station. The second stage will continue the PSP to the Beehive Montessori School. The path will then terminate at this point with a road crossing to join the existing coastal RSP.

The full completion of the PSP south of this point is unlikely to be achieved within the first stage 10-year timeframe for the Western Australian Bicycle Network Plan 2013-2031 (WABN Plan).

However, opportunities will be taken to include PSPs in the planning for other projects such as the replacement of the Fremantle Traffic Bridge. The construction timing of such projects will then influence further stages of the PSP extension.
Another section notes that the PSP extension from Grant Street will have partial grade-separation.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue May 27, 2014 2:00 pm

wellington_street wrote:City of Fremantle was given a grant for design work for the PSP from North Freo to Freo. The remainder of the missing link is not listed as commencing this year or next:
http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/activetr ... /25720.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The WABN Plan states:
Grant Street to Fremantle along the Perth–Fremantle Railway

The existing PSP from Perth finishes at the Grant Street Station in Cottesloe. From this point to Fremantle cyclists are required to travel on-road in sealed shoulders and through signalised intersections that do not have provisions for cyclists.

The first stage of the PSP extension will continue through to Jarrad Street just south of Cottesloe Station. The second stage will continue the PSP to the Beehive Montessori School. The path will then terminate at this point with a road crossing to join the existing coastal RSP.

The full completion of the PSP south of this point is unlikely to be achieved within the first stage 10-year timeframe for the Western Australian Bicycle Network Plan 2013-2031 (WABN Plan).

However, opportunities will be taken to include PSPs in the planning for other projects such as the replacement of the Fremantle Traffic Bridge. The construction timing of such projects will then influence further stages of the PSP extension.
Another section notes that the PSP extension from Grant Street will have partial grade-separation.
My understanding is that this is not going forward in any substantive manner until at least post 2016 and realistically it might eventuate in 2017/2018 if we are really lucky. If this bothers anyone please ask for clarification from the Minister of Transport ... unless we do this we are not going to get much movement on it.

As to the City of Fremantle local grant this is in I think relation to a possible piece of path behind the Swan Hotel on Queen Victoria Street. It is only a design study so do not expect to much. There is a Fremantle BUG meeting tonight so will try and get more information on it otherwise will follow-up with a key Councillor.

Andrew

Trucker Jord

Postby Trucker Jord » Wed May 28, 2014 6:27 pm

Thanks WS and Andrew,

I understand what grade-separation is but what is partial grade-separation?

Interesting that the WABN plan is really quite vague about completion of the section from Beehive to Tydeman road ever happening at all.
will draft up a letter to the Minister and DOT tonight, maybe one of them will be able to clarify.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed May 28, 2014 6:38 pm

Trucker Jord wrote:I understand what grade-separation is but what is partial grade-separation?
My interpretation would be that some intersections will be grade-separated, others not. The Fremantle PSP from Perth to Cottesloe is a good example of partial grade-separation.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed May 28, 2014 9:36 pm

Aushiker wrote:As to the City of Fremantle local grant this is in I think relation to a possible piece of path behind the Swan Hotel on Queen Victoria Street. It is only a design study so do not expect to much. There is a Fremantle BUG meeting tonight so will try and get more information on it otherwise will follow-up with a key Councillor.
Phil Adams from the City of Fremantle was at the meeting so got the full update. The design report has pretty much been completed. The design is for a bridge over Tydeman Road with the path going behind the Swan Hotel to come out at the bridge. I believe it will cross Queen Victoria Street (underpass?) and then the plan is cross the river on the east side of the Fremantle Traffic Bridge but I might have that aspect wrong. There was a lot of cross discussion happening.

There is also a proposal for a bridge across Port Beach Road to allow safer access to the beach etc. This has come from demands from other groups/community (it is not all about cyclists ... shock horror.)

Oh I forgot to mention but one previous obstacle, the Fremantle Port Authority has suddenly changed tune and is now making land available for the path. Prior to this they had flatly said no, so this is quite a turn around in attitude.

Andrew

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed May 28, 2014 11:11 pm

East side of Freo Traffic Bridge makes no sense when you want to be on the west side both north and south of the bridge. Did they explain the reason for using the east side?

dampier

Postby dampier » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:46 pm

I noticed a few centreline symbols on the western side of Curtin avenue, starting from Jarrad street yesterday. They go up to the new psp along Forrest street. They are about half a meter from the curb, so it could indicate future construction in this area. It is potentially dangerous as this is where it goes from the double lanes to a single one.
Anyone know if there is anything happening?

Trucker Jord

Postby Trucker Jord » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:33 pm

Hey Dampier,
was looking out for the road markings you mentioned but haven't seen them, did notice they have repainted all the line markings along that stretch but all in same place as old (except for around the roadworks at Eric st) . I emailed Cott council and they said not aware of any other planned roadwork.

here is their reply: The Curtin Ave/ Eric St job is just a small widening on 3 sides and narrowing of the median strips to try and ease traffic congestion for cars wishing to turn left or right to cross the bridge (depending on what direction they are travelling). Basically the widening will allow more cars to be stacked on the turning lanes and allow less delay for vehicles travelling straight through. This work is being funded under the Main Roads blackspot programme and approved by them. Main Roads will install the lines and signs at works end which I am lead to believe will finish this Friday.
I know of no works scheduled for Jarrad St/ Forrest St although there has been some increasing requests from residents for a pedestrian crossing at Forrest St. Very expensive and unlikely to happen as Council would have to fund 100% as it is not classed as a blackspot.

the-waves

Postby the-waves » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:37 pm

Awesome news re tydeman road - not so much Curtin Ave.

Hugor

Postby Hugor » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:47 am

Personally I think Curtain Ave is very dangerous.
I won't use it at any other time other than dawn.
The recent news report on the increasing cyclist deaths on Perth's roads cited it as number 1 for cyclist/car related injuries.

This road more than any in Perth should be the highest priority for building a protected cycle path.
Instead the local council spent funds on the PSP on Forrest St which nobody wanted.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:56 am

Hugor wrote:The recent news report on the increasing cyclist deaths on Perth's roads cited it as number 1 for cyclist/car related injuries.
Do you have the details about this news report?

I am very curious about this statement as the last news article that I am aware of that has seen the light of day here in these forums is the Sunday Times/Perth Now article from May 30, 2014 and it was wrong on a number of fronts.

The latest data I have seen from the Western Australian Police which was released late May 2014 also does not support this claim. To quote myself in respect to that the report,
The two worse roads are Canning Highway (one crash in 2014 due to in attention, was of a rear-end nature and caused two critical injuries) and the other road of concern is Mandurah Road (a crash of unknown cause in 2009 and a crash in 2010 as the result of fatigue resulting in the rear ending of cyclist).
The actual Police report is available via my Dropbox if you are interested in it.

Andrew

Hugor

Postby Hugor » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:32 am

Aushiker wrote: Do you have the details about this news report?
Andrew
It was only on last week after the story by RPH trauma quoting the 40% increase in cyclist deaths on Perth roads.
The News (ch9) followed with a story on Perths cyclist hot spots. I'll try and find it on the web.
They cited Curtain Ave as No1 followed by Stirling Hwy.

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:50 am

Hugor wrote:
Aushiker wrote: Do you have the details about this news report?
Andrew
It was only on last week after the story by RPH trauma quoting the 40% increase in cyclist deaths on Perth roads.
The News (ch9) followed with a story on Perths cyclist hot spots. I'll try and find it on the web.
Stirling Hwy is not even safe for motorists let alone cyclists. When I lived in the area I completely avoided these streets.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:08 am

Hugor wrote:It was only on last week after the story by RPH trauma quoting the 40% increase in cyclist deaths on Perth roads.
Ah okay, well I have the latest report as supplied by Royal Perth Trauma Services which is based on 2012 data and that is not a claim I can find in it as yet and the nature of the report is such that I would be surprised if it is made at all.

The Royal Perth Trauma data as supplied by the Hospital to the West Australian is posted in this thread. This data was provided by the A/State Trauma Program Manager, Clinical Nurse Manager, Trauma Services, Royal Perth Hospital.
I am not familiar with the Channel Nine news report, only the Channel 7 one and it does not make these claims but going by the Police data provided via the Minister of Road Safety the Curtin Avenue statement is not a claim supported by it, well as at April 22, 2014.

Andrew

NewStew

Postby NewStew » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:34 pm

My opinion on Curtin Av is that there are a few small areas that with some changes would vastly improve the safety. Firstly, at each of the traffic lights the bike lane needs to be installed so it is continuous through the intersection rather than pushing the bikes back into the cars. Secondly, the roundabout at the southern end of Marine Parade (I think it is called that - the road that runs along cottesloe beach) needs to be re-thought - best option would be a section of grade separated path for those coming down the hill towards fremantle, going the other way actually isn't too unsafe but maybe a lane that runs through the roundabout going up the hill. Thirdly, just make sure that there is a proper on road bike lane the full length all the way down to Tydeman Rd.

The less said about Tydeman Rd the better - that place gives me the cold sweats when it is busy with cars!!

Actually had a really interesting incident on Curtin Av as well. Was riding with my two boys (7 and 9) to Fremantle from Perth and we rode along there. Other than the two traffic lights it was fine. At the first set of lights though we were verbally abused by some numpty in a 5 series BMW for not riding on the bike path.... I colourfully replied that there wasn't one and that he should consider his worth to the human race.... needless to say my lads learnt some bad words. I wish I hadn't reacted like that but it was the first time the boys had properly mixed with cars and I was a little uptight! But what a plonker!

farnorth

Postby farnorth » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:00 pm

This afternoon I was squeezed out by a roadtrain at the Eric St traffic lights, where the cycle lane disappears and two lanes of traffic need to merge into one as the road heads towards Swanbourne. Coming north, I had stopped for a red light and on the green accelerated away up the slight incline. A truck which was the 3rd or 4th vehicle in the left hand lane cut me off by driving close to the kerb at the merge point and I had to brake to avoid being run off the road or squashed. There should be enough room even for a large vehicle in the merging zone, though I couldn't see whether there was another vehicle on the outside of the truck. Unfortunately I couldn't see the name of the trucking firm (note the rhyming slang) so that's the end of it for today, but someone could easily die there. It's a major route for trucks using Fremantle Docks.