Paid parking at train stations

soennecken

Re: Paid parking at train stations

Postby soennecken » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:01 pm

softy wrote:
soennecken wrote:
worzel wrote:....
-I heard yesterday that night shift workers will get penalised for not paying for the time after midnight
More specifically, night shift workers can not pay for the time after midnight, because the system doesn't let them. The $2 payment is for the whole day or part thereof, so it expires at the end of the day (midnight). If you want to pay for the next day (the rest of your night-shift), you would have to return to the station where you have parked to buy a ticket or swipe your card. You can not pay online or via the Transperth app because Transperth have decreed that they won't let you pay this way. If you haven't returned to the station carpark by 7 am then you will get a $50 fine.
Ouch!
That is poor planning by PTA. Why should shift workers pay twice, especially when the carpark is empty!
Fares should reflect busy period vs quiet periods

Shift workers should be paying less.
The problem isn't that you should pay twice. The problem is that you can't pay for the time after midnight. Then you get a parking fine.

The parking payment is for the day you park, and expires at midnight. You can't pay online for the rest of the night because Transperth's website won't allow it. You're at work all night, so you can't get back to the station where your car is parked to pay for another ticket. When you return, maybe by 830 am, it's too late - you've already been fined, even though Transperth has (seemingly deliberately) made it impossible for you to pay for your parking.

I have written to Transperth, the PTA, the Minister, and they haven't bothered to fix the problem, or even acknowledge that night shift workers ought to be allowed to park at stations on the way to work. The Attorney General, to his credit, agreed, and wrote to the Minister. It appears that the Minister ignored the Attorney General.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:56 pm

rolandp wrote:Experienced my third flat in two weeks - what happened two weeks ago - Gribble Road gravel - is there a connection - one can only shake the head.

Anyway, walked to Warwick train station (thank you so much to two fellow cyclists who asked if I was OK this evening), where I noticed:

A beautiful pedestrian crossing from the overpass bridge, except, at some point it has been locked off and pedestrians are then forced right over to the car park, and make their way from the east end.

And yet it is OK to install a whole pile of smart-rider machines to allow for motorists to pay for their parking, when one couldn't be installed at the pedestrian crossing shown above and instead block the pedestrian crossing off (don't ask me when it was blocked, I can count on one hand the number of times I use public transport a year due to cycling).

I'm just not 100% sure we have the priority correct in relation to access to train stations. Perhaps paid parking will sway some people from driving, and only time will tell.

Well done on BTA and getting into the local press.
Wow, that is moronic. In one foul swoop, PTA have added nearly 200m to the walk from the top of the escalators to that footbridge. That's 1/5 of the walking catchment (assuming 1km catchment) gone. And a big "F U" message to pedestrians as well.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:59 pm

soennecken wrote:The problem isn't that you should pay twice. The problem is that you can't pay for the time after midnight. Then you get a parking fine.

The parking payment is for the day you park, and expires at midnight. You can't pay online for the rest of the night because Transperth's website won't allow it. You're at work all night, so you can't get back to the station where your car is parked to pay for another ticket. When you return, maybe by 830 am, it's too late - you've already been fined, even though Transperth has (seemingly deliberately) made it impossible for you to pay for your parking.

I have written to Transperth, the PTA, the Minister, and they haven't bothered to fix the problem, or even acknowledge that night shift workers ought to be allowed to park at stations on the way to work. The Attorney General, to his credit, agreed, and wrote to the Minister. It appears that the Minister ignored the Attorney General.
Keep up the good fight! This sort of Government stupidity must be opposed.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:42 am

To this point in time if I google transperth trains parking midnight I hardly get a hit so it is obviously not on the publivcs radar and so the government is happy to ignore the issue.

I think it'll take a dozen highly valued shiftworkers out there - nurses for example - taking some direct action and calling the media in to witness them all getting to the train station and then leaving it to park on dark streets a half kilometre away in order to get anyone to pay attention.

AFAIK they have not yet hit any such workers with fines. Does anyone know any different?
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:15 am

Commuters go bush to catch train
Commuters are being forced to trek through makeshift bush paths to get to and from the Stirling train centre, four years after the State Government and the City of Stirling committed to creating a "safe, convenient walking environment" in the precinct.

One commuter said she risked breaking an ankle to get to the train every day, while another said the level of general traffic in the area meant it was dangerous to walk or cycle to the station.

Many of those affected are shoppers at Ikea, workers at Innaloo retail outlets and staff from the Department of Transport who have recently moved into the nearby six-level Tassels building.

Some are also using free parking near the Ikea building.

The precinct is being developed by the Stirling City Centre Alliance, a joint venture between the State Government and the City of Stirling.

In its 2010 access and parking strategy, the alliance said the health and vibrancy of the precinct depended on "good accessibility by walking, cycling, public transport and car".

It said the high amenity of the area would be enhanced by "a safe, convenient walking environment", with low levels of congestion and "few barriers to movement".

But regular commuter Richard Goodwin, of Wembley Downs, said the plan to build a pedestrian link between the commercial hub and the station had been allowed to gather dust over the past four years.

"What's happened in the meantime is the poor pedestrians have taken it upon themselves to carve access paths between the two," Mr Goodwin said. "Pedestrians and cyclists are surely at the bottom of the pile when Perth thinks transportation."

Another commuter, Phoebe of Scarborough, said it was dangerous using the bush paths but the alternative was longer and more inconvenient. A Department of Transport spokeswoman said work was under way between the City of Stirling and Main Roads to improve pedestrian access at the station.

Stirling mayor Giovanni Italiano said approvals were in place to improve pedestrian access around the Tassels building.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:46 am

rolandp wrote:Commuters go bush to catch train
Commuters are being forced to trek through makeshift bush paths to get to and from the Stirling train centre, four years after the State Government and the City of Stirling committed to creating a "safe, convenient walking environment" in the precinct.

One commuter said she risked breaking an ankle to get to the train every day, while another said the level of general traffic in the area meant it was dangerous to walk or cycle to the station.

Many of those affected are shoppers at Ikea, workers at Innaloo retail outlets and staff from the Department of Transport who have recently moved into the nearby six-level Tassels building.

Some are also using free parking near the Ikea building.

The precinct is being developed by the Stirling City Centre Alliance, a joint venture between the State Government and the City of Stirling.

In its 2010 access and parking strategy, the alliance said the health and vibrancy of the precinct depended on "good accessibility by walking, cycling, public transport and car".

It said the high amenity of the area would be enhanced by "a safe, convenient walking environment", with low levels of congestion and "few barriers to movement".

But regular commuter Richard Goodwin, of Wembley Downs, said the plan to build a pedestrian link between the commercial hub and the station had been allowed to gather dust over the past four years.

"What's happened in the meantime is the poor pedestrians have taken it upon themselves to carve access paths between the two," Mr Goodwin said. "Pedestrians and cyclists are surely at the bottom of the pile when Perth thinks transportation."

Another commuter, Phoebe of Scarborough, said it was dangerous using the bush paths but the alternative was longer and more inconvenient. A Department of Transport spokeswoman said work was under way between the City of Stirling and Main Roads to improve pedestrian access at the station.

Stirling mayor Giovanni Italiano said approvals were in place to improve pedestrian access around the Tassels building.
Yes- have done that bush bash several times with the kids to get to Ikea (they love the free play area)- agree with everything in the article.

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:04 pm

I wonder if the "improvement plan" just consists of a big fence to stop people taking the shortcut.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:59 pm

mikedufty wrote:I wonder if the "improvement plan" just consists of a big fence to stop people taking the shortcut.
Hahaha, that does sound very Perth sadly
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:12 pm

Parking is nuts around Ikea, it's amazing the pedestrian bridge hasn't been built. I remember checking out how to walk to Ikea from the station, I was gobsmacked that these popular multimillion dollar facilites that are 260m apart door to door as the crow flies, takes 800m to walk between on footpaths. The footbridge would halve that.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:51 pm

Mububban wrote:
mikedufty wrote:I wonder if the "improvement plan" just consists of a big fence to stop people taking the shortcut.
Hahaha, that does sound very Perth sadly
Well actually they did just finish building one along the western edge of the station near the freeway exit there :roll:

At the risk of wandering too far OT that whole area really is the absolute worst for any kind of transport let alone foot/cycle. Were it not such a fustercluck at all times of day, I might think of it as "my local" for restaurant / cinema outings. As it is, much easier to ride the extra 5k to Leederville.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:51 pm

Another great term I can steal thanks Lizzy

Fustercluck

Why do I think of a hen going troppo after laying a particularly big egg, you know those 800gm/doz eggs

or maybe I am just going clucking mad