Paid parking at train stations

Thoglette

Re: Paid parking at train stations

Postby Thoglette » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:23 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:....and many drivers will discover their local bus feeds.
You found the silver lining in all of this. Well spotted
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

roller

Postby roller » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:53 am

worzel wrote:when I missed my train due to the queues..
that's the sort of thing that could tip people over the edge. . .

inflammatory statement or idea

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:49 pm

Roland said:
Rode past Glendalough, plenty of available bays. Saw lots of people parking in the side streets which City of Stirling has recently introduced paid parking ($5 per day ), so scratching my head trying to work out the logic of this when there were available bays for $2 per day.
Scratched mine too and came up with an answer. They were probably the very animal the PTA is seeking to control.

They used the free station parking instead of paid parking in Stirling and, after the first day not catching a train would have been banned from a second $2 day.

By the way, have you used the new PSP at Excalibur reserve yet, what do you think of it?

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:46 am

The West has an article in today's paper, which includes a photo:

These guys are lining up against an almost empty bike cage. OK it was raining yesterday, which would have turned some people of riding or walking to the station.

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:10 am

Also provides a good example of the lack of common courtesy and kindness inherent in today's society... Everyone in line, bar one, has an umbrella. In a situation like that, I would *always* share my umbrella with that person rather than letting them get soaked while I stay (relatively) dry beside them.. (this is of course making an assumption that no umbrella has been offered and refused, which is possible but IMO unlikely). Hell, the person two people back from them appears to have one of the Bunnings umbrellas, those things are big enough to shelter 5 people :P

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:16 pm

I bet that person sans umbrella signed up to SmartParker as soon as they got to work :mrgreen:

softy

Postby softy » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:11 pm

Why couldn't they of placed them near the entrance so you just wind down the window and swipe. I know this may not always be practical, but surely PTA must have figures of the number of cars, peak times of travel etc, to calculate usage at a specific time and fit a number of machines accordingly.

This que is crazy, come on PTA more machines and better planing,

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:34 pm

Red Rider wrote:I bet that person sans umbrella signed up to SmartParker as soon as they got to work :mrgreen:
or even downloaded the Transperth app and now know when the bus passes by a local stop. 8)
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:44 pm

softy wrote:Why couldn't they of placed them near the entrance so you just wind down the window and swipe. I know this may not always be practical, but surely PTA must have figures of the number of cars, peak times of travel etc, to calculate usage at a specific time and fit a number of machines accordingly.

This que is crazy, come on PTA more machines and better planing,
A week or two from now and most people will have worked out their new habits. And as more like their smartriders to the parking it will become more like checking into the station.

Besides, its no bigger deal than the lines we get at any parking machine. It's just that at the moment it's topical. Except that linked smartriders will make it more efficient than the average parking machine in due course.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

roller

Postby roller » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:32 am

my name is roller, i haven't commuted for 1 day and this morning I paid for parking.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:40 pm

roller wrote:my name is roller, i haven't commuted for 1 day and this morning I paid for parking.
Was is so difficult and expensive that you are now going to abandon the idea of public transport altogether and just drive to work? :wink:
<removed by request>

FXST01

Postby FXST01 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:29 pm

citywomble wrote:By the way, have you used the new PSP at Excalibur reserve yet, what do you think of it?
Love it, they straightened out the three way section for my ride.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:16 pm

From the Fremantle Gazette ... Peter Bartlett, Convenor of the Bicycle Transport Alliance sharing his thoughts on the the parking fee and riding your bike ...

THE best way to avoid the new parking fee introduced at station carparks last week is to cycle, according to Bicycle Transport Alliance convenor Peter Bartlett.

Mr Bartlett said the introduction of the $2 parking fee last Tuesday should provide the necessary push for those who live close enough to their nearest station to jump on their bike and cycle to the train instead of driving.

“Most journeys between people’s homes and the nearest train station are well under five kilometres, often they’re as little as one kilometre,” he said.

“Such short distances can be made by bicycle by almost everyone in our community, young or old and of all fitness levels.

“The problem isn’t that there are not enough car park lots at the stations, the problem is there’s a lack of attractive alternatives to get to the station, and bikes can help this situation.”
Andrew

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:22 pm

Experienced my third flat in two weeks - what happened two weeks ago - Gribble Road gravel - is there a connection - one can only shake the head.

Anyway, walked to Warwick train station (thank you so much to two fellow cyclists who asked if I was OK this evening), where I noticed:

A beautiful pedestrian crossing from the overpass bridge, except, at some point it has been locked off and pedestrians are then forced right over to the car park, and make their way from the east end.

And yet it is OK to install a whole pile of smart-rider machines to allow for motorists to pay for their parking, when one couldn't be installed at the pedestrian crossing shown above and instead block the pedestrian crossing off (don't ask me when it was blocked, I can count on one hand the number of times I use public transport a year due to cycling).

I'm just not 100% sure we have the priority correct in relation to access to train stations. Perhaps paid parking will sway some people from driving, and only time will tell.

Well done on BTA and getting into the local press.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:22 pm

From The Guardian
THE City of Gosnells is implementing parking restrictions in streets around its train stations, in response to the Public Transport Authority introducing paid parking at train stations, to deter long-term street parking.

Mayor Dave Griffiths said the City’s main concern was its residents.

“The restrictions will help ensure that people who live in streets around train stations are not inconvenienced by commuters who want to avoid paying for parking,” he said.

“Safety is our main priority and congestion of suburban streets, especially around schools and businesses, is dangerous.”

The City will issue warnings to rule-breakers during the transition period, but may start fining people if these have no effect.

It is presently installing signage and restrictions will be enforceable when this is complete.

It is good to see forward planning on this matter, given this was announced several months ago.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:51 am

rolandp wrote:It is good to see forward planning on this matter, given this was announced several months ago.
lol. Vic Park put their parking restrictions in place around oats street a couple of months before paid parking. It's amazing to see a council be pro-active and solve a problem ahead of time.
<removed by request>

cray-

Postby cray- » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:44 pm

This google street view image is out of date by a few years, but the city of cockburn have since installed proper roadside parking bays where the line of cars on the side of the road are:

Technically this is street parking/council verge, not part of the Transperth carpark right?

softy

Postby softy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:15 pm

cray- wrote:This google street view image is out of date by a few years, but the city of cockburn have since installed proper roadside parking bays where the line of cars on the side of the road are:

Technically this is street parking/council verge, not part of the Transperth carpark right?
On the east side of cockburn central the road (knock pl) is an old chip surface patched up to make it look good near the train station. A cycle shoulder has been installed, but it is very narrow.

When standing looking from the train station it looks new and lovely, as you transit away, the road deteriorates, the chip surface gets worse and the shoulder breaks up, then the bike lane disappears! This is not a very long road, once again a cycle shoulder that goes nowhere! Not even to the end of the street from the train station.

:(

roller

Postby roller » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:07 am

This morning I discovered that it is easy to forget to tag on at the station after already tagging on in the carpark.

Need to retrain the brain.

I explained the situation to the train ticket checker at perth station and he was quite understanding, seems to be a quite common occurrence.

worzel

Postby worzel » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:51 pm

roller wrote:This morning I discovered that it is easy to forget to tag on at the station after already tagging on in the carpark.

I explained the situation to the train ticket checker at perth station and he was quite understanding, seems to be a quite common occurrence.
I almost did the same last week. I was stood at the platform edge for a couple of minutes when I had this doubt whether I had tagged on a second time. I just had time to check (I hadn't) as the train arrived. I don't know why the car park tag on can't also count as the train tag on.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:08 pm

roller wrote:This morning I discovered that it is easy to forget to tag on at the station after already tagging on in the carpark.
Ouch. That could have been expensive. I train commute off and on and I have had a smartrider for years, so you think by now I would have learned to tag on. Anyway, caught the train in as usal and was chatting to my boss on the train. Just then a security walked into the carriage and I had a sudden sinking feeling that I had not tagged on. I looked a my boss and he couldn't remember if he had either. So, we left the train at McIver to walk into town. We both checked. I had not tagged on but he had. Lucky I checked. I would not like to be stuck in Perth stn with a smartrider I forgot to tag on with.
<removed by request>

roller

Postby roller » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:19 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:I would not like to be stuck in Perth stn with a smartrider I forgot to tag on with.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:28 pm

roller wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:I would not like to be stuck in Perth stn with a smartrider I forgot to tag on with.
:lol:
<removed by request>

soennecken

Postby soennecken » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:01 am

worzel wrote:....
-I heard yesterday that night shift workers will get penalised for not paying for the time after midnight
More specifically, night shift workers can not pay for the time after midnight, because the system doesn't let them. The $2 payment is for the whole day or part thereof, so it expires at the end of the day (midnight). If you want to pay for the next day (the rest of your night-shift), you would have to return to the station where you have parked to buy a ticket or swipe your card. You can not pay online or via the Transperth app because Transperth have decreed that they won't let you pay this way. If you haven't returned to the station carpark by 7 am then you will get a $50 fine.

softy

Postby softy » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:16 pm

soennecken wrote:
worzel wrote:....
-I heard yesterday that night shift workers will get penalised for not paying for the time after midnight
More specifically, night shift workers can not pay for the time after midnight, because the system doesn't let them. The $2 payment is for the whole day or part thereof, so it expires at the end of the day (midnight). If you want to pay for the next day (the rest of your night-shift), you would have to return to the station where you have parked to buy a ticket or swipe your card. You can not pay online or via the Transperth app because Transperth have decreed that they won't let you pay this way. If you haven't returned to the station carpark by 7 am then you will get a $50 fine.
Ouch!
That is poor planning by PTA. Why should shift workers pay twice, especially when the carpark is empty!
Fares should reflect busy period vs quiet periods

Shift workers should be paying less.