Retul bike fit ALS Cyclery

hooman

Retul bike fit ALS Cyclery

Postby hooman » Fri May 09, 2014 10:51 pm

Hi all, anyone had a Retul bike fit? ALS cyclery in Heathridge does it. Any experiences?
Thanks in advance.
'09 Giant TCR C2 Shimano 105
'10 Cervelo RS Shimano Ultegra
'11 Time NXR Instinct SRAM RED Black
'12 Pinarello Dogma 2 Shimano DuraAce DI2

ramp

Re: Retul bike fit

Postby ramp » Sat May 10, 2014 11:40 am

Have not experienced Retul but could not help but throw in a plug for Damian Oldmeadow at Star Physio West Perth. Outstanding result, got me riding better, longer and resolved a nagging injury. He has very good credentials and applies a human overlay

WarbyD

Re: Retul bike fit

Postby WarbyD » Tue May 13, 2014 3:05 pm

ramp wrote:Have not experienced Retul but could not help but throw in a plug for Damian Oldmeadow at Star Physio West Perth. Outstanding result, got me riding better, longer and resolved a nagging injury. He has very good credentials and applies a human overlay
Out of interest, are you able to share more info regarding your experience? approx. cost, what was done, were any parts changed, etc etc.. I'm looking to have a bike fit done in the near future and am trying to work out who to go and see. Really like the idea of seeing a physio for a couple of reasons (being able to claim part of the cost back on health insurance is a bonus, but mostly the fact that they've done alot more training and have a much better understanding of human physiology than the average bike store employee)

archetuthus

Re: Retul bike fit ALS Cyclery

Postby archetuthus » Tue May 13, 2014 4:53 pm

I saw Greg at Horizon Physio in Scarborough. Was a 1 hour session and obviously was charged to health insurance as initial physio visit which was great. A long time was spent on cleat set up and actual fit to the shoe. Getting the right contact pints etc. after that jumped on my bike on the trainer and did alot of fiddling. Moving of the seat backwards and forwards and up and down and spinning and raising hands of the bars. looking at the geometry of my leg movements. Using his fancy laser angle tool thing after each adjustment. Also recommended a change in my stem. Advised to only ride at 70% next few days to get used to the changes and noticed a vast difference almost instantly. knees weren't hurting any more, and some other issues resolved. And the service was just great. Better than when i went to an LBS which i wont name which basically scoffed at my suggestions of a proper bike fit. Definitely worth the effort.

Ray1684

Postby Ray1684 » Tue May 13, 2014 4:58 pm

hooman wrote:Hi all, anyone had a Retul bike fit? ALS cyclery in Heathridge does it. Any experiences?
Thanks in advance.
I've had a Retul fitting over at TBE Belmont and overall had a good experience; the team over at TBE Belmont were very helpful and were clearly motivated to help you to the best of their ability. Haven't had an issue since the fitting. I would say the measurements taken are much more accurate than freesight, but they were also able to tweak the fit to suit me as the rider rather than relying only on computer algorithms.

It is fairly steep in terms of pricing, but I managed to waiver the cost of the fitting as I picked up a new bike from them that week as well.

ramp

Postby ramp » Wed May 14, 2014 11:04 pm

Star Physio - I was told pre appointment to keep 2 hours free, in the end it took about 90 mins. I rode to the appointment so arrived "warmed up". Damo [to his mates] got me on the table for some flex assessments all the time charing and no doubt working out my profile in terms of activity level and my aspirations. On to my bike on rollers to start working out the bio dynamics. measures, plum bob and an experienced eye. very calm and patient but all the time working toward something. Shoe cleats changed significantly and some counter intuitive changes to saddle height and position. I already felt my stem needed to change so i had bought a new one from a LBS and they gave me 2 to take along knowing one would be returned. If you need parts he will refer you to TBE on Stirling Hwy. not sure how that would happen i.e. do you ride down and buy it then come back and resume the appointment? In any event good move by me to have the part with me which he fitted, still talking and asking questions and offering riding and exercise advice. I came away with a whole new position just in time for 3 Dams and was stoked about how goos I went on that and how I pulled up.

Cost was an extended physio consult at $235 and my miserable health fund [BUPA] gave me back $33.10 If you google Damien Oldmeadow you will see he works with some pretty high profile clients. You leave with a report sheet on on your pre and post measurements and a set of recommendations to help you ride better and a follow up phone call a few weeks later.

rabobank89

Postby rabobank89 » Sun May 18, 2014 2:30 am

I went to Al's and had a great experience. I had pain in my knee for a long time and after a proper fit and recommended exercises from Al I have been very happy.

You will be happy with his service.

Hugor

Postby Hugor » Sun May 18, 2014 10:31 am

I also had a Retul bike fit with TBE Belmont.
They made massive changes to my setup.
The benefits take a little time to be realised.
I can now ride in the drops comfortably for the first time, and my FTP has increased by 25% in 3 months.
Its not cheap but the benefits are far greater than any other expensive bit of kit that I've bought.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:18 pm

Horizon Physio have gone on 4 weeks holiday, back 4 July, so have booked into Star Physio for 18 June.

Will report back
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:10 pm

flashpixx wrote:Horizon Physio have gone on 4 weeks holiday, back 4 July, so have booked into Star Physio for 18 June.

Will report back
Star Physio didn't happen today... work commitment.
Gordon

BrownBike
Location: Perth - Looking for a north-south route across the CBD

Postby BrownBike » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:39 pm

You won't be disappointed with Damian at Star Physio.

hooman

Postby hooman » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:41 pm

Have had fits with:

Andrew Budge-- Great guy, very knowledgeable and experienced.
Greg at Horizon-- also great guy. Different approach. More eye than exact measurements.
Damian at Star-- also great guy. Very measurement based. To the book. Fit me up very well.
Leon Vogels at BodyLogic-- also great guy. Most dynamic of all. Videoed me to show faults.

All are great, no complaints. You couldn't pick a greater bunch of guys. However, my body seems to be the problem and neither has been able to nail it for me. That is why I asked about Retul as it seems to be more precise and results are dependent on facts from measurements on the computer rather personal ideas.

I want to get rid of my knee pain. That's all...
'09 Giant TCR C2 Shimano 105
'10 Cervelo RS Shimano Ultegra
'11 Time NXR Instinct SRAM RED Black
'12 Pinarello Dogma 2 Shimano DuraAce DI2

Hugor

Postby Hugor » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:54 pm

hooman wrote: Leon Vogels at BodyLogic-- also great guy. Most dynamic of all. Videoed me to show faults.

That is why I asked about Retul as it seems to be more precise and results are dependent on facts from measurements on the computer rather personal ideas.

I want to get rid of my knee pain. That's all...
Agree that Leon is a great guy and fitter. He also works as a consultant for TBE Belmont and does Retul fitting through the store.

flashpixx

Re: Bike Fit at Horizon Physio

Postby flashpixx » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:01 pm

Went to Greg at Horizon Physio on Friday.

Is very thorough, tells you exactly what he is doing and why. Added 2 shims to my left shoe, adjusted the cleat position on both, adjusted the seat down and fwd only slightly. Made some suggestions for riding position. Took just shy of the hour.

Have been on 3 rides since. Even after the first ride the pain and burning in my traps has reduced significantly. On the third ride noticed a definite increase in power and stamina with a consequent increase in average speed. Three rides totalled 100km.

Greg reckons it takes about 2 weeks for the benefits to be fully realised, and he guarantees results.

So far so good.

Recommended a follow up in 6 months. Didn't try to upsell anything, (like Physio even though I have a cactus upper back), or bike part suppliers...

Cost is $195 plus shims and is Health Fund rebateable - can do a direct on the spot claim through Hi-Caps.

FWIW I hadn't met Greg before Friday, and have no affiliation with him or Horizon, or Physios, or....
Gordon

flashpixx

Re: Bike Fit at Horizon Physio

Postby flashpixx » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:14 pm

Went for the follow up visit today.

Spent about 40 mins with Greg and cost $85.

Have been having some lower back soreness on the right.

Greg noted my right knee was not aligned (pushing out) so put a shim under the cleat. Also dropped the bars 5mm and adjusted the saddle to stop me sliding forward.

Once again has guaranteed I will see more power, less pain, and more stamina. Will report back in a couple of weeks.
Gordon

billy70

Postby billy70 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:11 pm

Interesting follow up Flash - I hope this sorts it out for you.

What intrigues me the most is IIRC, you purchased through Riders Choice and I expect were fit by Gary (who's definitely a genius with a great eye and affable style). I did the same ... so whilst I feel very comfortable on my Domane 5.2 it does make me wonder if I should invest in a Physio fit ... Hmm, we'll see ...

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:15 pm

billy70 wrote:Interesting follow up Flash - I hope this sorts it out for you.

What intrigues me the most is IIRC, you purchased through Riders Choice and I expect were fit by Gary (who's definitely a genius with a great eye and affable style). I did the same ... so whilst I feel very comfortable on my Domane 5.2 it does make me wonder if I should invest in a Physio fit ... Hmm, we'll see ...
Yeah I did get Gary to do a fit - a couple of times before I was comfortable. I saw a bike shop fit to get me to a point where I was comfortable but not provide the extra personal adjustments that a physio might provide. I have nothing but for respect for Gary he is a very nice bloke and always happy to have a chat. I didn't think it would reasonable to expect that next level of fit from a service that was free.

I see the physio fit as a positive thing, not only to fix things but to make those finer adjustments so not only am I comfortable, but I'm getting the most from my effort on the bike, without inadvertently injuring myself. :D
Gordon