Maylands bridge replacements (PSP disruptions)

matthecat

Re: Maylands bridge replacements (PSP disruptions)

Postby matthecat » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:10 pm

Variable message signs on road indicate Whatley Crs is closed this weekend.
I assume they will be lifting the decking on the approach ramps this weekend as they did on the other side last weekend.
Huge crane (270 tonne lifting capacity) in yard this morning so PSP may be closed as well.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:57 pm

Cant believe this bridge is being replaced. Im involved in some big 'waste of taxpayers money' projects at the moment, but this takes the cake. Ive never used this bridge in my life, and other than a few locals can't see anyone else's need to use it. There's 3 other crossings/underpasses within 200-300m east and west. The cost of the new bridge could build many Kms of PSP's

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:19 pm

NASHIE wrote: Ive never used this bridge in my life
captain obvious!!

From Mainroads site:

The bridge carries 3,500 vehicles per day.
Is over 100 years old and needs replacement with a wider, better accessed, safer for pedestrians and cyclists bridge

As you've not used it you won't realise that it is the only crossing in that vicinity that is not controlled by traffic lights. As a Maylands resident I can attest to the increased volume of traffic using Caledonian or Third avenue now that Seventh is closed.
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

Hugor

Postby Hugor » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:54 pm

Its a very useful link from my Maylands home to the best supermarket in the area - IGA 2nd Ave.
The 3rd ave crossing is terrible. It was a very dangerous bridge though.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:56 pm

:lol: Locals must of seen the bean counter and gone mad using the bridge :wink: Hope you don't get any traffic signals on your new bridge

fixed

Postby fixed » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:16 am

A few locals.
Been using this bridge since 1978 as a Mt Lawley local. Then moved to Inglewood. Then Bedford. Then Guildford where I used it as the best way to ECU and onto Perth CBD on a motorbike. Have used 7th ave bridge as the best way to the hills from Mt Lawley.
Central Ave, Carrington, 7th ave...
Guildford Rd, 7th ave, coode st, central
Those that dont know know used Caledonian Ave and Meltham Station bridge
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

Hugor

Postby Hugor » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:23 am

Such a great bridge IMO.
Sweeping views of the railway line, PSP, Wheatley Crescent, Eighth Ave and the northern precincts on the other sides of the rail line.
Hoping to see a separated bike path, fresh water fountain, hot dog stand and street theatre on the bridge when it reopens.
Cant wait.

Hugor

Postby Hugor » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:28 pm

Wheatley Cresent closed this morning as the massive concrete slab has just been suspended across the road. Historical moment!

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:33 pm

The PSP has been relaid in it's original position today. A bit of line marking and she'll be good to go shortly.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:26 pm

Red Rider wrote:The PSP has been relaid in it's original position today. A bit of line marking and she'll be good to go shortly.
saw that as I rode through. Good news a potential crash spot removed :)
Gordon

Hugor

Postby Hugor » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:21 pm

I'm really impressed how quickly they managed to do this development. It will be much easier to get to the Ankara kebab house now. :)

Grev

Postby Grev » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:22 pm

I agree, this has been a very well managed process. I was tempted to put pen to paper more than once to congratulate those at the coal face but did not know who was actually dong the work. Maybe they will read this forum.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:44 pm

Grev wrote:I agree, this has been a very well managed process. I was tempted to put pen to paper more than once to congratulate those at the coal face but did not know who was actually dong the work. Maybe they will read this forum.
Leanne Pitcher, Main Roads’ Community Relations Representative
Tel: 0408 923 249
Email: lpitch@bigpond.net.au
Gordon

Karati

Postby Karati » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:03 pm

Now the path is back in alignment I keep having to remind myself I don't need to brake for the diversion corner anymore!!

Killswitch

Postby Killswitch » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:12 pm

Very nice to ride straight through this morning. The guys did a great job to keep it hassle and car free.

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:06 pm

Killswitch wrote:Very nice to ride straight through this morning. The guys did a great job to keep it hassle and car free.
+1

I was impressed that they took a lane away from cars to allow for a safe cycling flow on the PSP
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

BayswaterpoliceWA

Postby BayswaterpoliceWA » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:32 pm

flashpixx wrote:
Red Rider wrote:The PSP has been relaid in it's original position today. A bit of line marking and she'll be good to go shortly.
saw that as I rode through. Good news a potential crash spot removed :)
Thank christ! No need to worry about the numerous who come around the blind corners on the wrong side of the narrow path at 30kmh +

numloxx

Postby numloxx » Wed May 13, 2015 9:01 pm

Hi all,

Newbie to this forum, but have heard on the news that the bridge is open to traffic again.
https://www.mainroads.wa.gov.au/AboutMa ... ning-.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully when they rebuild the Third Ave Bridge they take into account the cycle path as well.
My Ride - Reid Osprey Elite 2014 (Don't laugh). Shimano R540 pedals with Shimano R088 shoes.

matthecat

Postby matthecat » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:05 pm

To revive an old thread.
Bit of activity at the 3rd (?) Ave bridge over past few weeks.
Additional fencing on the northern side of the line which I assume will be the machinery & materials storage area.
There were a couple of guys measuring various bits & pieces on the bridge a few days ago (perhaps for scaffolding/barriers).
I can't see how they will be able to be as bike friendly on this part of the project.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:46 pm

matthecat wrote: I can't see how they will be able to be as bike friendly on this part of the project.
Agreed, the alternative diversion options on Whatley or Railway arent flash either
Gordon

matthecat

Postby matthecat » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:15 pm

Thinking about options this morning as I rode past (not much else to do at 5.30 in the morning is there).
What do you think of this?
There is an entry ramp onto the PSP that comes off the bridge and forms a T junction.
If they could straighten that out (temporarily) and give us the left turn lane (heading East from the city) that won't be needed whilst the bridge works are under way plus put a re-entry point back onto the PSP east of the bridge I think that would work well.
If they could seperate cars from bikes as well as the 7th avenue project might be a goer.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:04 pm

Sounds great!

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:05 pm

matthecat wrote:Thinking about options this morning as I rode past (not much else to do at 5.30 in the morning is there).
What do you think of this?
There is an entry ramp onto the PSP that comes off the bridge and forms a T junction.
If they could straighten that out (temporarily) and give us the left turn lane (heading East from the city) that won't be needed whilst the bridge works are under way plus put a re-entry point back onto the PSP east of the bridge I think that would work well.
If they could seperate cars from bikes as well as the 7th avenue project might be a goer.
I think that ramp is on the East side of the bridge. Problem will be the west side as there are ramp/stairs for the footbridge over to Mt Lawley Station.

Received a flyer in the mailbox from Main Roads last night outlining the plan which detailed the existing cycle path with be diverted onto Whatley. At the time I thought yeah, pinch the LH turning lane heading east on Whatley and convert the RH turning lane heading west into straight ahead.

I'm somewhat optimistic that the project will deal with cyclist/peds well, based on the success of the diversion for the Seventh St bridge.
Gordon

Grev

Postby Grev » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:57 pm

Looks like us cyclist will be diverted onto Whatley at the 3rd Ave bridge in the very near future. I hope it goes as well as when the 7th Ave bridge which was very professionally handled.

matthecat

Postby matthecat » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:15 pm

Noticed they had formed a ramp and marked the possible route in blue when I passed yesterday.
Just needs some hotmix and we'll be away!
As Grev says we can only but hope it's as smooth as the 7th Ave bridge-works