Cycle Box - cycling vendoring machine

rolandp

Cycle Box - cycling vendoring machine

Postby rolandp » Wed May 14, 2014 12:27 am

This appeared at our work:
It contains:

Their website gives no details are who they are, and I haven't heard/seen one installed anywhere else.

If you are based in Perth, and need spare tube, gas canisters, bike lock, even lights, etc then this is located at 40 The Esplanade, entrance from the lower public car park.

You can check out our bike cages whilst there.

dmwill

Re: Cycle Box - cycling vendoring machine

Postby dmwill » Wed May 14, 2014 2:14 am

Seen a few scattered around Melbourne - always spot a new one every time I head there.

Pretty broad range of things there - CrankBros tools and Knog lights.

ramp

Postby ramp » Wed May 14, 2014 9:11 am

How is the the pricing V local bike shop?

worzel

Postby worzel » Wed May 14, 2014 10:47 am

We have one in the secure Ride & Park compound of Central Park, though last time I looked it was almost empty.

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Wed May 14, 2014 11:01 am

hmmm, interesting.. will have to keep that in mind!!

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Wed May 14, 2014 11:58 am

worzel wrote:We have one in the secure Ride & Park compound of Central Park, though last time I looked it was almost empty.
Worzel, what bike do you ride? always trying to put BNA faces to a name especially if they're in the same building as me!

worzel

Postby worzel » Wed May 14, 2014 12:37 pm

jaseyjase wrote:
worzel wrote:We have one in the secure Ride & Park compound of Central Park, though last time I looked it was almost empty.
Worzel, what bike do you ride? always trying to put BNA faces to a name especially if they're in the same building as me!
I recently upgraded from my "undercoat grey" Cell SS2200 commuter bike and now have a blue Malvern Star Oppy C4. I wear a couple of Cell Bikes tops. What about yourself?

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Wed May 14, 2014 12:53 pm

worzel wrote:I recently upgraded from my "undercoat grey" Cell SS2200 commuter bike and now have a blue Malvern Star Oppy C4. I wear a couple of Cell Bikes tops. What about yourself?
cool, will keep eyes peeled!

matte black retro cannondale single speed conversion, usually in rapha china kit, brown crumpler messeneger bag.

vinski

Postby vinski » Wed May 14, 2014 1:24 pm

Very interested in the price of the Knog lights...any chance you can see if they have the Blinder Road 3 and the price? Just the next time you walk past.

Thanks!!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed May 14, 2014 2:25 pm

That is a great initiative. Thanks for sharing Roland.

Andrew

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed May 14, 2014 10:21 pm

vinski wrote:Very interested in the price of the Knog lights...any chance you can see if they have the Blinder Road 3 and the price? Just the next time you walk past.

Thanks!!
They are Blinder Road 3, price $95. For a small fee I can be your personal shopper.

There were other questions how they compared to LBS, last thing I purchased from LBS were tubes which ranged from $7 up to "thanks mate, but I'm not paying that for a tube". The ones in the vending machine are $8. I personally don't think you can compare, for example, I can purchase a can of coke from vending machine for one price, and purchase from supermarket for an other. There is also the easy factor of this is in my building, and if I'm ok with the price (even if it is more expensive) then I will purchase, rather going to the LBS, or waiting x-weeks for the online order. And if I don't like the price, then I look elsewhere.

It will be interesting to see how often it is used, and restocked, shame that the Central Park one is not stocked, but is also in a secure area, so maybe the supplier is having issues getting in. Ours is in a general public area, so anyone can access it when the car park is open (Mon -Fri)

neild

Postby neild » Wed May 14, 2014 10:40 pm

There is one of these at the Masters store in Melbourne on Toorak Rd. It was a godsend one morning a while ago when I was close by. Got a flat, the valve failed on my spare tube and the stick on patches I had to try to fix the original tube kept failing. I was probably doing something wrong but after changing the tyre 4 times I was glad I was within walking distance to buy another tube. Around $10 I think but saved my day as I was still around 15km from work.

So I think they're great for those essential need now items, not sure about lights and some of the other things that you could probably wait and go to a store / online to buy.
Norco VFR1 Disc, Merida 903, Mofo Single Speed, Giant MTB, soon to be vintage Gazelle fixie

vinski

Postby vinski » Thu May 15, 2014 1:09 am

Thanks Roland!

$95 for the Blinder Road 3 is cheaper than buying from Knog direct! Wiggle has it for just over $80 but for the convenience of having them now i think ill just pop on over during my lunch break and get them. They are definitely handy for when you need something right then and there like when you run out of tubes!

cray-

Postby cray- » Thu May 15, 2014 10:59 am

Pretty good idea but the company needs to sort out it's website and include a searchable map so we can find them if in need, mobile friendly of course.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Thu May 15, 2014 11:27 am

Prices are not too bad - compared to CBD shope where $15 tubes are the norm, I'd take the vending machine.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu May 15, 2014 4:02 pm

rolandp wrote:this is located at 40 The Esplanade, entrance from the lower public car park. You can check out our bike cages whilst there.
It seems a pilgrimage is in order so that I can genuflect in front of the monolith
Last edited by Thoglette on Thu May 15, 2014 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Thu May 15, 2014 4:04 pm

I can see this thing suddenly becoming the Perth CBD's most popular "lbs" - and it doesn't even have staff haha

vinski

Postby vinski » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:03 am

Gonna head there at lunch today - from the pic im assuming users can pay by cash or card?

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:50 pm

So what did you buy?

SuperSix

Postby SuperSix » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:00 pm

My first reaction was a snigger. But looking at it, it's brilliant. It seems well stocked with quality products.
Please guys, if you know the location of more of these please let us know. Great idea.

vinski

Postby vinski » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:09 pm

I got the Knog Blinder Road 3 - ive been stuck at work later these days and my 'to be seen' light just wasnt cutting it so time to shell out for a proper 'to see' light. Wasnt too keen on the red colout but it actually suits my bike!

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:06 am

vin, price? interested to see if its LBS pricing

GTPilot

Postby GTPilot » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:24 am

neild wrote:There is one of these at the Masters store in Melbourne on Toorak Rd. It was a godsend one morning a while ago when I was close by. Got a flat, the valve failed on my spare tube and the stick on patches I had to try to fix the original tube kept failing. I was probably doing something wrong but after changing the tyre 4 times I was glad I was within walking distance to buy another tube. Around $10 I think but saved my day as I was still around 15km from work.

So I think they're great for those essential need now items, not sure about lights and some of the other things that you could probably wait and go to a store / online to buy.
The things that are right under your nose. I ride past this store several times a week. Never knew the machine existed. Handy to know, thanks for that! :)

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:53 am

jaseyjase wrote:vin, price? interested to see if its LBS pricing
Here you go:
vinski wrote:Thanks Roland!

$95 for the Blinder Road 3 is cheaper than buying from Knog direct! Wiggle has it for just over $80 but for the convenience of having them now i think ill just pop on over during my lunch break and get them. They are definitely handy for when you need something right then and there like when you run out of tubes!

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:05 pm

cheers roland, shouldve scrolled up..bah.

need to check if theyve restocked the central park one.

chasing a knog blinder 4 rear light, might need to have a stroll to 40 Esplanade