Path around Trinity College

tallywhacker

Path around Trinity College

Postby tallywhacker » Tue May 20, 2014 10:12 am

anyone know how long the path under the causeway and around Trinity College will be blocked. This morning there was a selection of fences and barriers blocking the path. You can get around if you shoulder your bike and the tide is out. No warning of this or alternative routes.

wellington_street

Re: Path around Trinity College

Postby wellington_street » Tue May 20, 2014 10:44 am

Turns out it was a good choice not to ride that way after work! I would also like to know...

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Wed May 21, 2014 12:58 am

I rode that way last week and no signs. There was some surveying doing on (and with radio controlled camera drone thing) but the path wasn't blocked. I'm wondering if it is an extension of this work and only temporary ie the day?

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Wed May 21, 2014 5:14 pm

I have heard that the path has now been pulled up

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Wed May 21, 2014 6:10 pm

Had a quick look, but could not see any announcements on
https://www.mainroads.wa.gov.au/UsingRo ... nance.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mra.wa.gov.au/Projects/River ... s-Updates/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed May 21, 2014 6:24 pm

The path is, I believe, owned by CoP but I can't see anything on their site either.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu May 22, 2014 8:06 am

My mud map of the diversion below:

It includes 4 traffic lights where we are requested to dismount, and one uncontrolled crossing over Riverside Drive.

West end of diversion:

One of the traffic light crossings:

blkmcs

Postby blkmcs » Thu May 22, 2014 10:08 am

This area is part of the Riverside development administered by the Metropolitan Redevelopment Authority.

http://www.mra.wa.gov.au/Projects/River ... lications/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Their master plan on page 63 contains the following
7.3 Traffic and Transport, Sinclair Knight Mertz
The Riverside development is well located to take advantage of an excellent
public transport system through the implementation of Transit Oriented
Development (TOD) principles in an inner city development. These
principles are designed to encourage an appropriate mix and density of
land uses to ensure that walking and cycling are viable travel options for
daily and local needs. This includes a sustainable approach to parking
supply, land use and transport integration and the provision of a permeable
street and building layout.
So they have paid lip service to cycling and I guess that is probably all we can expect from them.

I have emailed them on reception@mrw.wa.gov.au and if I get a reply I'll let you know.
In the meantime if everyone affected by this were to also email them it might help.

Mike
Too old to live, too slow to die.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu May 22, 2014 10:50 am

Expect this to be a long term diversion as they are building right to the edge of the river. I can't see where cyclists belong in this render.

As blkmcs noted, the Master Plan has no detail whatsoever about what cycling facilities will be provided. In fact, anything other than vehicle trips is just ignored.

blkmcs

Postby blkmcs » Thu May 22, 2014 2:24 pm

rolandp wrote:My mud map of the diversion below:...

It includes 4 traffic lights where we are requested to dismount, and one uncontrolled crossing over Riverside Drive....
I went through this morning just to check it out and rather than follow your map I just crossed at the first set of lights on to Hay Street, then rode Hay Street to Plain Street, left at Plain Street and straight across at Adelaide Terrace and on to the Riverside Drive path at the end of Plain Street.
No dismounts, no uncontrolled crossings.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu May 22, 2014 2:42 pm

^ That's fine for roadies but not for less confident recreational cyclists.

Do the paths on the diversion have shared path signs and/or markings?

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu May 22, 2014 10:54 pm

I also contacted Main Roads, MRA, City of Perth, including my mud map and photos of the diversion. Response - nothing.

I had requested that the Perth CBD outage map needs to include this outage. It was updated today, but not with this diversion.

I don't recall seeing any shared path signs, but I'm used to that on the northern PSP where they are sadly missing (and before anyone asks, yes they have been reported, including a forum topic on the subject several years ago).

I also made a comment that we are now up to 6 dismount signs in Perth CBD diversions, which in my opinion is 6 too many.

If we look at the big picture, then visit MRA site and visit the Watermark guidelines page 13 which shows the cycling infrastructure being provided. I'm 99% sure that BTA provided a formal response, but just can't locate it now, as one of the concerns raised was ensuring that the bridge remained a 'shared bridge'.

Please take the time as blkmcs did earlier, and contact BikeWest, MRA, City of Perth, Minister of Planning, Minister of Transport etc, as we need to be informed of these outages, and even using mobile phone apps like Keep Perth Moving are worthless, when the state/local authority are not feeding these outages up.

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Fri May 23, 2014 2:23 pm

Apparently the Shared Path will reopen later today

klement

Postby klement » Sat May 24, 2014 4:09 pm

The path was open today when I rode it, but there is flooding so not very useable at the moment.

blkmcs

Postby blkmcs » Tue May 27, 2014 1:33 pm

Received a response from MRA this morning.
...Thank you for contacting the MRA about the shared pedestrian and cyclist path by the Causeway. A portion of the path was temporarily closed in order to undertake essential stormwater drain works in accordance with the City of Perth’s permit approval. I apologise for the inconvenience this may have caused you and would like to confirm that the path has now been reopened. Please note that some temporary closures of this path may be required in the future with detours in place to direct pedestrians and cyclists around the area via Trinity Avenue and Hay Street. I will keep your email address on file and endeavour to contact you when temporary path closures are expected...
If I do get notice of future closures I'll post the details here.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue May 27, 2014 2:07 pm

Hmm...that's half a positive response but there's no apology for not providing advanced warning to path users, or even proper signs on the first day or closure.

blkmcs

Postby blkmcs » Tue May 27, 2014 5:53 pm

wellington_street wrote:Hmm...that's half a positive response but there's no apology for not providing advanced warning to path users, or even proper signs on the first day or closure.
I did respond pointing out that it was the lack of notice that caused problems and have just received another email.
...Thanks so much for your feedback. I've passed it onto the project team who will ensure that more information about future closures will be provided to cyclists to avoid a similar situation occurring in the future. You will also be contacted directly in advance of any closures to assist in planning your journey...
Hopefully they will follow through.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue May 27, 2014 11:38 pm

I got the same response today from MRA - word for word.

Sending off my response now.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Wed May 28, 2014 12:52 am

Having a dig around, in 2009 this was the cycle network design guidelines in 2009:

Today, the renders look like this:
The shared path gets cut off completely. There appears to be nothing for pedestrians and cyclists to continue along the river, it looks like we'll need to go all the way around the complex.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed May 28, 2014 2:18 am

Red Rider, my email back to MRA included:
In addition, I am still waiting for MRA to publically publish cycling infrastructure which will be provided in the following projects
Perth City Link - meet with MRA Dec-2012
Elizabeth Quay - meet with MRA Feb-2014
Can I formally request again, that MRA publish exactly what/where cycling infrastructure will be provided in the above projects as well as the Riverside project.

Please use your images above and contact them as well, as they paint a very interesting picture.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Wed May 28, 2014 11:31 pm

Red Rider wrote:Today, the renders look like this:
Speaking of MRA renders I saw this one today for the redevelopment of the old Chem Centre site on the corner of Hay St/Plain St/De Vlamigh Ave:

Apparently, according to the renders, the redevelopment will feature helmetless salmoning cyclists. I guess they are trying to appeal to the hipster market.

EDIT: Link to source document (pdf): http://media.mra.wa.gov.au/Documents/Ri ... -Flyer.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu May 29, 2014 12:34 am

and no cars? :lol:

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:03 pm

There was some extra traffic on the path yesterday to contend with :roll:

방구 똥

Postby 방구 똥 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:27 pm

nachoman wrote:There was some extra traffic on the path yesterday to contend with :roll:

Where's our Brazillian friend when we need him? In Brazil?
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-29/s ... ff/6655696" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:34 am

Was there:
A match on at the WACA
Racing event at the track
School event
Building works for the school
Build works for the pedestrian (or is it shared) bridge for the stadium
MRA development for the Riverside project
Maintenance of the shared path

Or all of the above except the last one, as we know that never happens.

Report to City of Perth, they didn't do anything last time I reported similar at this location, but may be they will this time.