Another Kwinana FWY PSP Closure Starting Monday

WarbyD

Another Kwinana FWY PSP Closure Starting Monday

Postby WarbyD » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:51 am

Not sure where to look for information about it, but stopped to have a brief chat with some guys putting in place "Footpath Closed" signage on the Kwinana Fwy PSP north of Murdoch Station this morning. The guys were friendly and were trying to call out to almost every passing cyclist to inform them about the upcoming works (I haven't noticed any signage suggesting that it was coming.. but I also haven't been looking for it).

The path will be closed from Monday (although they had already put "Footpath Closed" signs at the north end, blocking south bound travel but deliberately leaving *just enough* space for north bound travellers to get between the signs) between approximately Goyder Place and Scouler Way for around 6 weeks to allow the extension of the PSP along London Way and Scandrett Way. Diversion I believe will be via Goyder Pl/Broadhurst Cres/Marsengo Rd/Scouler Way.

This will be inconvenient, but nice to avoid those couple of little road stretches once complete. Apparently there have been quite a few reported near misses as a result of interaction between cyclists and motorists (in particular entering/exiting driveways) which have prompted this work.

Fully sick "made in paint" mud map:

wellington_street

Re: Another Kwinana FWY PSP Closure Starting Monday

Postby wellington_street » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:00 am

Thanks for posting this WarbyD - once again WA fails path users when it comes to traffic management. I wonder which section "yelling at path users" sits under in the Traffic Management for Works on Roads Code of Practice?

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:06 am

heh, it's probably right alongside the bit with the "Slow Down" painted roughly on cones that have popped up along that stretch a few times lately ;)

jonhanson

Postby jonhanson » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:24 am

Next to the part that says put up a sign "Cyclists Dismount" when neither you nor the cyclists have any intention of this actually taking place.

Rusty6149

Postby Rusty6149 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:40 am

This will be good once it is completed. It will mean the only road interaction between the city and the deep south will be Cranford Ave.

Hopefully this will be a complete re-surface, as the path adjacent to the park was pretty bad.

Don't suppose they are taking out the trees along that stretch, so there will still be a gum nut hazard.

- Rusty

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:51 am

I believe the trees, on the road sections at least, will have to be removed. It appears that they're going to be putting the path in place of the small reserve (where those damned trees are) between the road and the wall.

There will also still be the section of Selway Rd, north of Bull Creek Station, that we have to travel along to/from Cranford Ave.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:58 am

This will make it that much safer as well. No more unexpected bikes shooting out on the wrong side of the path. Now how long will this be closed for. Just to think we were detouring around that a while ago and now have to do it again but for a different lot of roadwork. Each time they do something like this it costs that little bit more as things get more expensive the longer they leave it.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Rusty6149

Postby Rusty6149 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:05 pm

I forgot about Selway - I've had a few near misses along there.

We might also see an increase on parked cars on that road once Transperth start charging for parking at Bull Creek station.

I've noticed a few cars parked in London Way recently with the occupants walking to Murdoch - guessing that won't be an option during the construction works.

--Rusty

softy

Postby softy » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:13 pm

I have noticed the sticks and markings getting ready for this.

A good thing when finished. Always discomfort before making things better.
I do believe croydon road is planned to be removed in the future, as identified by the government as a danger spot.

All I can say is the south going freeway PSP is much better than the north going freeway PSP. So can't really complain.

newblah

Postby newblah » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:43 am

Anyone know if anything is happening here? The detour has been in place for a few weeks now but I never see anyone working on the path.

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:51 am

I saw some guys and a truck hanging out by the south end of the detour probably Friday morning. It looked to me like they were getting ready to take something away, but no sign since. The path part at both ends looks complete, not sure what it's like away from the extremities

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:10 pm

I might go a bit of a detour from the detour on the way home this evening to see how the rest of the path is looking.. if I remember heh

Rusty6149

Postby Rusty6149 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:14 pm

From what I've seen so far, the path through the parkland is untouched - it would be nice if they were going to resurface the whole of the closed path, as that bit is pretty bumpy, due to roots.

- Rusty

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:14 am

Didn't get a chance on Wednesday, and didn't ride yesterday, but went through for a look this morning - path appears to be complete through all but the parkland section. I even snuck through the "footpath closed" signs for a look (which meant hiking my bike around teh fence at the north end, oh well). Great job on the surface from what I can see. Not sure if they will be doing the parkland section (I assume so) or if there is any landscaping or road furniture installation to be done, but can't be much longer now!

ploz

Postby ploz » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:57 pm

Went through tonight. All finished bar line marking. I'm afraid they won't be doing the bumpy bit through the park adjacent, the budget probably only covered the 'grade separation - fixing a shocking bit of asphalt at the same time obviously didn't occur to those concerned.

Will be great to have a stretch all the way from Bull Creek to Mandurah with no vehicular interaction. Just Selway/Cranford to go!

softy

Postby softy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:48 pm

I really dislike that cranford crossing, it has that blind ramp.
I do believe this is earmarked to be upgraded.
:)

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:38 pm

Rusty6149 wrote:I forgot about Selway - I've had a few near misses along there.

We might also see an increase on parked cars on that road once Transperth start charging for parking at Bull Creek station.

I've noticed a few cars parked in London Way recently with the occupants walking to Murdoch - guessing that won't be an option during the construction works.

--Rusty
The fortunate thing about Sleway though is that it leads nowhere. The only traffic there are locals going to or leaving from home. I can't recall seeing any motorist along there do any hooning or carelessness. Though it is incumbent on any rider to be aware that any car reversing out of a drive can be a hazard and to assume that they do not see you. ie slow down and be prepared when you see reversing lights.

I have, once or twice, noticed some issues around house building. With so many undeveloped post war properties still this will arise from time to time.

There is plenty of span over unused road so it will probably be fixed some time. It would certainly be level, fast and clear lines of sight.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

softy

Postby softy » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:00 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
Rusty6149 wrote:I forgot about Selway - I've had a few near misses along there.

--Rusty
The fortunate thing about Sleway though is that it leads nowhere. The only traffic there are locals going to or leaving from home. I can't recall seeing any motorist along there do any hooning or carelessness. Though it is incumbent on any rider to be aware that any car reversing out of a drive can be a hazard and to assume that they do not see you. ie slow down and be prepared when you see reversing lights.

I have, once or twice, noticed some issues around house building. With so many undeveloped post war properties still this will arise from time to time.

There is plenty of span over unused road so it will probably be fixed some time. It would certainly be level, fast and clear lines of sight.
As I can see it, there is no problem going under cranford, it will be the freeway north onramp that will be the problem to deal with.

JBark

Postby JBark » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:58 am

Anyone else really, really hoping they open this back up before the psycho magpie on broadhurst starts bombing us again? :)

We've got a good couple weeks/a month before breeding season starts, so shouldn't be a problem, but it's getting close.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:13 pm

JBark wrote:Anyone else really, really hoping they open this back up before the psycho magpie on broadhurst starts bombing us again? :)

We've got a good couple weeks/a month before breeding season starts, so shouldn't be a problem, but it's getting close.
As a resident of Bateman, I am pleased to see the maggie do his worst. Far too many annoying cyclists around at the moment. :mrgreen:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

ploz

Postby ploz » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:33 pm

Painting lines today...

Rusty6149

Postby Rusty6149 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:30 pm

Good news - the path is reopened. Nice and smooth.. reasonable lines of sight, etc. Not quite sure why the southbound lane is twice the width of the northbound though.

Bad news - the un-resurfaced path through the park hasn't been swept, so be careful, there's a months worth of branches, honky nuts and other detritus on the path.

--Rusty

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:39 pm

That'll make my ride home interesting, I've never ridden that section, having only moved south of the river about a month ago, all I've known is the detour. Hope i don't get lost ;)

softy

Postby softy » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:00 pm

JBark wrote:Anyone else really, really hoping they open this back up before the psycho magpie on broadhurst starts bombing us again? :)

That's a black and white statement. :P

JBark

Postby JBark » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:40 pm

Nice to see another quick turnaround on path closures, just like we had down at Beeliar Dr. Shame that short section through the reserve wasn't redone at the same time, but it's a minor nitpick, and the rest seemed nicely done when I rode up this morning.

I wonder if the SLOW DOWN cones guy will be happy, or if he'll have his cones sitting out the middle of the path again here shortly? :)