Transporting Bikes by Car

prplhydra

Postby prplhydra » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:21 pm

So the new is filled with recent changes to road penalties including "a $1200 slug for an offence that previously didn't attract a fine or affect demerit points ... fitting a device that prevents effective identification"
http://www.news.com.au/national/breakin ... 6976260033

Now once my bike/s is on the bike rack on my car the plates are partially obscured. Does anyone know how WA law addresses this? (in NSW there are auxillary plates to attach over the top of the obstruction, but I've never seen anything like that in WA).

sorted

Re: Transporting Bikes by Car

Postby sorted » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:32 pm

I looked into this about 6 months ago and the conclusion I came to is that I couldn't legally use a towbar mounted bike rack on my car as the bikes would obscure the rear number plate.

I come from Europe, where, if using a rear-mounted bike rack that obscures your number plate or lights, you need to attach an auxilliary number plate and rear lights (brakes, tail lights and turn signals) to the bike rack. As I understand it, this isn't possible in WA because auxiliary number plates aren't available. I didn't get as far as tracking down the definitive bit of legislation but came across a few posts like this one, which sounded convincing enough:

http://rideons.wordpress.com/2012/12/11 ... mment-2895

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:08 am

Very good point.

Like many things, WA is behind VIC and NSW.

Might be time to fire off a few letters/emails to the right people.

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:11 am

My plates are somewhat unique to my car (though not personalised). They're fitted with security screws and have covers - stuff removing them every weekend.

WA just needs to catch up and have bike rack plates available.

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:16 am

dmwill wrote:My plates are somewhat unique to my car (though not personalised). They're fitted with security screws and have covers - stuff removing them every weekend.

WA just needs to catch up and have bike rack plates available.
What's the thinking (if any) behind WA not allowing accessory plates? Is there a crime wave in the eastern states because crims are using their bike rack plates for fun and profit?

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:30 am

I've often wondered about this... I have a boot mounted rack pretty much permanently attached to our territory (no towbar), which obscures most of the rear license plate. With a bike on there it completely obscures the license plate. It has been on the car for ... hmmm.. 5 months now I think? (I take the MTB out almost every weekend, got sick of putting it on/off so just left it on).

We've had police vehicles directly behind us plenty of times during that period, never been pulled over.. I suspect it falls into the category of "technically illegal, but as long as you're not being a prick then nor will the officer BUT if you do something stupid to annoy them, expect it to be added to the list of things they'll ping you for"

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:42 am

WarbyD wrote: We've had police vehicles directly behind us plenty of times during that period, never been pulled over.. I suspect it falls into the category of "technically illegal, but as long as you're not being a prick then nor will the officer BUT if you do something stupid to annoy them, expect it to be added to the list of things they'll ping you for"
I also have had coppers behind me when my huge 4 bike platform racks are on the back. I suppose the fact that I also mount a lightbar plastered with reflective tape convinces them that I'm trying to do the right thing. It only takes on jerk having a bad day to mess things up. I was amazed when the local shire licensing lady said there were no accessory plates issued in WA.

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:17 pm

It's like any minor traffic offence on the roads. The majority of police will turn a blind eye - they have better things to do, it's the TEG (Traffic Enforcement Group) cops who will ping you though. I've known a few guys who have done what they thought is right by having a hand written or printed piece of card with their rego on it and been pinged.
ball bearing wrote: What's the thinking (if any) behind WA not allowing accessory plates? Is there a crime wave in the eastern states because crims are using their bike rack plates for fun and profit?
Supposedly illegal to have 3 plates here.

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:21 pm

Hmmm, i think for the time being I am going to run with taking the wheels off and shoving the bike in the back when required while I wait to see if this is something they decide to make an issue of or not (or, until I get around to buying a roof rack and associated carrier)

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:49 pm

Oxford wrote:Remove the existing plate and relocate, making sure it is well lit. However in saying that, you will find most towbar attachments are illegal anyway. The ADRs specify that vehicle attachments and associated loads ie bike racks with bikes on it must not exceed certain dimensions. Simply put measure your wheelbase, axle to axle, take 60% of this distance and then measure from the rear axle rearward. Where this 60% measure ends is as far back as any attachment and associated load is allowed to extend. You will find that for most 4wds, utes etc there is very little room past the towbar tongue. Its also why many utes have a towbar tongue that actually sits under the tray, its in order to keep it inside the allowance. However as with everything check your local regs for clarification.
Is a trailer considered an attachment when it is on the tow ball? If so, what is the difference between towing a trailer and towing a bike rack? A trailer will always extend beyond the 60% wheelbase.

It also throws up some oddities. For example, a stretch hummer:

That could legally have a massive protrusion at the rear.

Anyway, I have been pulled up with my Thule Euroway 3-bike platform carrier on the bike (for an RBT & defect check), and the police were rather interested in the rack. That is, they wanted to know where to buy one, how much it cost, how much weight it could take. They were also impressed as it had the integrated light bar and illuminated bike rack plate.
They did not whip out their tape measures and calculators to check the wheelbase and rear protrusion on the Mazda to see if the rack fitted into the guidelines for bike rack use in nsw http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/registration/ ... vsi_10.pdf
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

worzel

Postby worzel » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:28 pm

As well as rego plates, what about obscuring lights or being wider than the car? What made me think about that was I have friends with boats made in America and American boats are usually technically about 5cm too wide to tow without wide-load signs and being limited to daylight hours etc. I have never heard of anyone being pulled up by the police for it, but in theory if you could be and if you had a crash you would be uninsured.

Marmoset

Postby Marmoset » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:07 pm

I'm using my towbar rack brought over from the UK and tried to get another plate for it, only to find out you can't get another. Quite a crazy situation when all you're trying to do is avoid trouble with the law. I'll just keep on using it, happy in the knowledge that I have a set of working lights on it that are at least visible.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:13 pm

queequeg wrote: It also throws up some oddities. For example, a stretch hummer:

In NSW at least there are at least two measurements to meet, the 60% and another maximum protrusion from the rear of the vehicle. 1200mm max. for most vehicles the default is the 60% number as it is less than the 1200mm
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:18 pm

bychosis wrote:
queequeg wrote: It also throws up some oddities. For example, a stretch hummer:

In NSW at least there are at least two measurements to meet, the 60% and another maximum protrusion from the rear of the vehicle. 1200mm max. for most vehicles the default is the 60% number as it is less than the 1200mm
I should have read my own PDF :-)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

SNAKE ®

Postby SNAKE ® » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:56 pm

I use the Thule Proride 591 bike carriers and have never had an issue.
You can fit 4 on a roof with ease - if anyone is concerned about carrying bikes.

2011 CANNONDALE SUPERSIX SUPER RECORD TEAM LIQUIGAS
2013 CANNONDALE SLICE RS BLACK Inc
2013 CANNONDALE SCALPEL 29ER CARBON 1

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:42 am

^^^

Volvo looks familiar :)

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:39 am

Well, I got a reply after 1 month (and a follow-up email sent 1 week ago).

Still not holding my breath for any aux plate in the near future.

prplhydra

Postby prplhydra » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:08 pm

thanks for posting that dmwill
also not prepared to hold breath for auxillary plates...

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:50 pm

Thanks Dmwill,

I have this letter photographed on my iPad as a 'Get Out of Jail Free Card'.

If I get stopped when my bikes are on the tow bar rack I will be able to show the letter in mitigation and evidence of the Ministers intent towards leniency.

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:39 am

Yeah, will be keeping a copy in the car just in case.

SNAKE ®

Postby SNAKE ® » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:42 pm

dmwill wrote:Yeah, will be keeping a copy in the car just in case.
Good call.

Just for reference, a mate of mine just got a $1000 fine for "obscuring a number plate" on his new motorbike. Pre September it was $50.
Officer said the plate was not exactly 90degrees (it was about 85degrees). Thats was enough for the idiot traffic cop to issue a fine.
So just be aware, they're out there now with this new fine system looking to generate revenue with the most lame of reasons.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:28 pm

SNAKE ® wrote:Officer said the plate was not exactly 90degrees (it was about 85degrees). Thats was enough for the idiot traffic cop to issue a fine.
At $1000 it's worth considering taking that one to court. If you're lucky the issuing officer will fail to attend and it'll get thrown out.
(Do check the rules it's been decades since I've been involved in such cases - brand new ADR compliant bike pinged for "excessive exhaust noise")
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

SNAKE ®

Postby SNAKE ® » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:42 am

Thoglette wrote:
SNAKE ® wrote:Officer said the plate was not exactly 90degrees (it was about 85degrees). Thats was enough for the idiot traffic cop to issue a fine.
At $1000 it's worth considering taking that one to court. If you're lucky the issuing officer will fail to attend and it'll get thrown out.
Just saying that a case is not thrown out if the offers don't attend. I am $853 down to prove this :/

PA

Postby PA » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:32 pm

In South Australia we have plates to put on our bike racks. Like this.

The funny part about this is they are made in Western Australia!
Mouse magnet

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:17 pm

Yeah, that was the whole point of the letter I wrote to the Transport Minister.

Every other state has them. Just another simple thing that WA doesn't have.