Hills riding, a couple of questions

dampier

Hills riding, a couple of questions

Postby dampier » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:50 pm

I have started doing a weekly ride to Kalamunda, via Ridge hill road and Gooseberry hill road through to Mundaring and back through Darlington.

First question is are there any watering points along the way, particularly in Kalamunda. I have found the toilet block at Mundaring weir and carry two water bottles, but I tend to use one by the time I have finally climbed Gooseberry hill ( particularly that last 200m).

The second concerns energy, I can barely maintain 32 km/h on my return leg to Perth. My muscles are ok but just lacking the energy to pedal. Should I be eating / drinking anything extra or is it just a matter of waiting for my body to adjust?

Thanks

CXCommuter

Re: Hills riding, a couple of questions

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:14 pm

Thought I would jump in before the anti food brigade joins up (those who say they ride for hours on end on water only at an average of 40km/h).

Typically, a well fueled/rested body has energy reserves for 2 hours of moderate riding. If I eat something light before a 2hour ride I can do it but lag at the end. I carry gels/banana/muesli bar as a back up for anything over 1 hour of moderate to hard riding (about 35km distance) and would eat at regular pace before (emphasis here) I got hungry/lost energy.

Not sure about watering points other than at the Weir, tend to buy water on longer rides outside of known areas- good for a rest.

tomness

Postby tomness » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:10 pm

I am not sure what route you are using to get to Ridge Hill road but there is a tap at the shops / medical center in Helena valley on Scott road (near the corner with Helena Valley road). Take the 3 steps from the car park on the Scott St side of the medical center and there is a little garden bed in front of you and at tap on the right hand side of this garden bed. I use this in summer.

In Mundaring there are toilets at the sculpture garden which I have also used for water refills.

kenji44

Postby kenji44 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:15 pm

There's a toilet block on Railway Rd Kalamunda - near the ZigZag Gallery

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:52 pm

dampier wrote:The second concerns energy, I can barely maintain 32 km/h on my return leg to Perth. My muscles are ok but just lacking the energy to pedal. Should I be eating / drinking anything extra or is it just a matter of waiting for my body to adjust?
Firstly, I don't ever really worry about speed averages. I just go with what the prevailing conditions - and my current energy levels; distance & terrain yet to traverse etc. Take a small snack like a muesli bar/glad wrapped piece of cake or banana in your jersey pocket. Just nibble at in stages on the go. It's all relative, but on long (for me) Audax rides if I am sagging a little bit, I will eat maybe a quarter or third of a of bar. Sometimes it doesn't actually appeal, but I'll just make it a nibble, wash it down with some water and you will feel a difference shortly afterwards.

Unless of course you're a brand monkey/marketing victim and feel the need to buy energy gels and throw your rubbish around like a real Pro. :roll:
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

IncognitoMosquito

Postby IncognitoMosquito » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:26 pm

32kph sounds OK if you are riding all the way back to Dampier though.....

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:26 pm

That rides going to take a bit out of your legs, even if you do feel good.
There's a tap at the servo opposite Coles. Kostera's I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:39 pm

One water bottle should last you the 20km from Kala to Mundaring Weir.

If you must fill up there's a tap at Stirk Park.

PM if you want a riding buddy. I'm in Freo.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:57 pm

Yep, the Coles Express fuel station in Kalamunda near the round-about has a tap on the verge area. Everyone stops there.

Agree with CXCommuter, I eat if my ride is more than 1.5 hours. You'll know when you aren't riding your best due to hunger, you feel hungry! I find it takes maybe 3 hours before I begin to get a hunger flat, but it's good to eat long before you get to that stage. Difficult to know if 32kph is good or not (fitness, distance, conditions etc). Your muscles do build up endurance over time.

Kudos for tackling The Goose each hills ride :!:

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:33 pm

dampier wrote:second concerns energy, I can barely maintain 32 km/h on my return leg to Perth. My muscles are ok but just lacking the energy to pedal. Should I be eating / drinking anything extra or is it just a matter of waiting for my body to adjust?
I used to do a lot of long rides. I found what I ate the day before made the most difference. But I also ate on the ride too. I just take a couple of mueslie bars, banana or fruit cake. Or grab some choc milk at a servo. I know if I don't eat enough on the ride, like you I have no energy in my legs. For me, there was no adjusting. I ate or I ran out of energy. This did not change over 2 years of long rides.
<removed by request>

dampier

Postby dampier » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:53 pm

Thanks everybody, the watering points are just where I will need them. Nothing worse than trying to conserve water when you do not have to.

With regards to the eating, well it just confirms my suspicions that the gels and drinks will primarily designed for and benefit the athletes who sell them rather than people like me who are trying to reduce the layers around the gut.

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:51 pm

Can think of a few worse things than 'only' having 700ml of water to ride 20km.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnum9

Postby Magnum9 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:32 pm

I used to think gels were a load of crap too until I tried them, they definitely work, especially the ones with caffeine give a good boost.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:15 pm

might be worth investing in some bigger bidons if you havnt already, ie the 750ml ones

as for foods, my hills/mundaring run is usually about a 100km loop, i normally bring two bananas and an energy bar.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:36 pm

dampier wrote:Thanks everybody, the watering points are just where I will need them. Nothing worse than trying to conserve water when you do not have to.

With regards to the eating, well it just confirms my suspicions that the gels and drinks will primarily designed for and benefit the athletes who sell them rather than people like me who are trying to reduce the layers around the gut.
haha, yeah. I have done plenty of 200 km rides without gels or sports drinks. Just normal food and maybe a choc milk.
<removed by request>

paulz

Postby paulz » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:00 pm

Take some medjool dates along for the ride. They give you an energy hit, are easy to digest and can be easily carried in a ziplock bag.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:42 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:I found what I ate the day before made the most difference.
So true. Don't go hungry the day before.

Anyone tried dried apricots? Not the crumby organic aussie ones, the turkish ones are juicy and easy to digest.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:16 pm

casual_cyclist wrote: I used to do a lot of long rides. I found what I ate the day before made the most difference.
Yay Carb-loading! And we're not talking the 8 pints+ of Guinness kind, either... ;)

I always enjoy a good excuse for a big (guilt free) rice/pasta/spag/pizza nosh up the day before a big ride..
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:58 pm

HappyHumber wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote: I used to do a lot of long rides. I found what I ate the day before made the most difference.
I always enjoy a good excuse for a big (guilt free) rice/pasta/spag/pizza nosh up the day before a big ride..
I usually go the rice for lunch and pasta for dinner. It's makes a big difference for me.
<removed by request>