Postby AdsPear » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:15 pm

http://yhoo.it/1qZ5xnr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Saw this in twitter this morning. On a cycle path but not much more details

Thoglette

Re: 95 year old dies after being hit by cyclist

Postby Thoglette » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:29 pm

From ABC news
Elderly pedestrian struck by cyclist on Bassendean bike path dies
The crash happened on a cycle path next to Guildford Road about 2:30pm yesterday.

The elderly man sustained serious head injuries and was taken to Royal Perth Hospital by ambulance, where he later died.

The cyclist, a 53-year-old man, received minor injuries.

Police are seeking information from anyone who may have seen the crash, or who saw either the pedestrian or cyclist prior to the incident.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:10 pm

I'm not surprised. Hopefully we will not learn that the cyclist was striving to beat his PB on the shared path.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:28 pm

ball bearing wrote:I'm not surprised. Hopefully we will not learn that the cyclist was striving to beat his PB on the shared path.
I'm not familiar with the type of paths used in WA. Are there dedicated cycle paths and was this accident on one of those or was it a shared path?

dampier

Postby dampier » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:44 pm

shared path, recently constructed with clear line of sights Just a tragedy for all concerned.

AdsPear

Postby AdsPear » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:34 pm

Latest update says man was walking his dog as well

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:47 pm

ball bearing wrote:I'm not surprised. .
Not jumping to conclusions are we? Perhaps a job on Today Tonight is in your future?
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:34 pm

I don't know the exact area but this sign indicates shared.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/(AT)-31.919 ... MgrURQ!2e0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:46 pm

Unfortunately, for both the pedestrian and the cyclist, this is a shared path. It's actually a PSP, which is a Principal shared path, but that doesn't take away the fact that it is a shared path with an obligation for the cyclist to give way. Regrettably, for the unfortunate pedestrian it would have been better if it was a bike path as there is not really any great need for pedestrians to use it, other than dog walking, in which case he may have walked elsewhere and still be alive - which is why shared paths are so potentially bad for cyclists as pedestrians are the right of way user.

The implications for cyclists can be quite dire, not least because a few years ago criminal law was modified in response to a cyclist/pedestrian fatality, to provide for serious jail time if it happened again as the previous legislation was deemed deficient. This may be that time and this cyclist may face 'Culpable Driving' charges.
Criminal Code Act Compilation Act 1913. Section 284 of the Criminal Code which came into effect on August 1, 2008. Section 284 of the Criminal Code of deals with “Culpable Driving” of vehicles such as bikes, skateboards, scooters, animals and even shopping trolleys and provides for a penalty of 10 years imprisonment for culpable driving causing death and seven years for causing grievous bodily harm. Culpable Driving includes driving/riding a bike in a manner, including speed, that in the circumstances is dangerous to any person. This offence would apply to a cyclist running down a pedestrian.
I hope for the cyclist that there are other circumstances, however, sincere condolences to the elderly walker and his family for this tragic incident.

Karati

Postby Karati » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:25 pm

ball bearing wrote:I'm not surprised. Hopefully we will not learn that the cyclist was striving to beat his PB on the shared path.

Great trolling!

It's a very straight path where its right next to Guildford road and it is possible the older man stepped out to/from crossing the road.

I ride that path up to 12 times a week and it's pretty rare to even see a pedestrian round there.

Further back just before the Tonkin overpass there is a bit of a blind corner that could be dangerous though.

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:43 pm

Karati,
it is possible the older man stepped out to/from crossing the road
If that was the case, and while it may weigh slightly in the cyclists favour (in sentencing), it will not remove most liability or culpability.

In WA, any cyclist riding on a shared path is required to give way to any pedestrian ON or CROSSING the path. This is applicable to any pedestrian stepping out to/from the path to the road or from any other path. That is what makes shared paths so onerous for cyclists where, on a bike path, the onus is the other way round, the cyclist has right of way and any pedestrian must give way to any cyclist when crossing and is not permitted to walk along the path (rather like walking on the road)

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:25 am

Karati wrote:

Great trolling!
I fail to see how my statement and question could be considered trolling. I sincerely hope that we don't learn that the cyclist was being negligent and reckless. However, judging from the numerous fool-hearty cyclists' I see on the paths I fear the worst.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:07 pm

I have no idea what happened in this instance.
Either or both parties may have been at fault.
I do know on more than one occasion while riding on PSP's I have had oncoming walkers panic and step in front of me at the last moment.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:04 pm

Very sad. Being 95 he at least lived a long and hopefully fulfilling life to that point.

Besides the facts (or lack there of known publicly) of this case which I'll leave to the police and courts to ruminate over, people on bikes do need to be extra vigilant around pedestrians, occasionally they do not take a fast moving, silent bike into their calculations when moving around a shared area.

Marmoset

Postby Marmoset » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:10 pm

Agree with Red Rider, regardless of rights of way as someone in/on the faster moving mode of transport (Bike/car etc.)I always assume responsibility for anticipating an accident and drive/ride accordingly.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:17 pm

The dog does add another variable. For all we know the dog wandered over into the right lane where the cyclist should have been overtaking from and has veered left and either collected the leash if it was on or has connected with the poor fella from either him wandering right at the same time. I've had a dog veer out into my path before and I slammed on my brakes. I had the leash touching my arms.... If I had of gone thru at 5kph the force of that would have been enough to pull the pedestrian off her feet.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:58 pm

Why is it that we feel it is approriate to suggest scenarios - on cycling forums they usually favour the cyclist , funny that - without any knowledge specific to the case?

We know nothing other than a pedestrian came off second best. Until then, how about we exercise less excusing and more respect for the victim of a tragedy?

To say that peds do such and such, with the implicationtherefore that that may have occured in this case is absolutely the same as those offensive responses we see in comments following news reports of cyclists dying under vehicles. The sort where a cyclists is killed and idiot ahters start talking about red light jumpers etc as if it is somehow relevant to the particular tragedy being reported on.

Sexism, racism, cyclism and now pedism. All based on generalisations, not specifics.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:30 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Why is it that we feel it is approriate to suggest scenarios - on cycling forums they usually favour the cyclist , funny that - without any knowledge specific to the case?

We know nothing other than a pedestrian came off second best. Until then, how about we exercise less excusing and more respect for the victim of a tragedy?

To say that peds do such and such, with the implicationtherefore that that may have occured in this case is absolutely the same as those offensive responses we see in comments following news reports of cyclists dying under vehicles. The sort where a cyclists is killed and idiot ahters start talking about red light jumpers etc as if it is somehow relevant to the particular tragedy being reported on.

Sexism, racism, cyclism and now pedism. All based on generalisations, not specifics.
Well said.

Tandem

Postby Tandem » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:32 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Why is it that we feel it is approriate to suggest scenarios - on cycling forums they usually favour the cyclist , funny that - without any knowledge specific to the case?

Well said.

blkmcs

Postby blkmcs » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:50 pm

Tandem wrote:

Well said.
Very well said!
Too old to live, too slow to die.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:49 pm

Red Rider wrote:Very sad. Being 95 he at least lived a long and hopefully fulfilling life to that point.

Besides the facts (or lack there of known publicly) of this case which I'll leave to the police and courts to ruminate over, people on bikes do need to be extra vigilant around pedestrians, occasionally they do not take a fast moving, silent bike into their calculations when moving around a shared area.
Agreed :idea:
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

exadios

Postby exadios » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:33 am

+1