Whos the best bike mechanic in Perth?

rabobank89

Re: Whos the best bike mechanic in Perth?

Postby rabobank89 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:05 pm

Elite are ok...

The best mechanic in my experience is Aldo from quantum bicycles...

Parker

Postby Parker » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:49 pm

Aldo re-built my felt ar4 a - awesome work

Z350

Postby Z350 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:44 pm

In the last 3-4 years I have become totally self sufficient in maintaining and servicing my bike.
I am by no means the best mechanic but I do love a quiet , smooth and well adjusted bike.
With the internet and youtube and a few tools you don't need much more than that.
I bought a $150 set of tools from c r c and so far it has rebuilt , serviced and fixed many bikes with no problems.
About the only other thing you need is a torque wrench which is a must have for a carbon bike in my opinion.
Bunnings do a kingchrome torque wrench that does 2nm to 40nm $70-$80 well spent.
If I owned a lamborghini I would sell it and buy a better bike :D

Parker

Postby Parker » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:48 pm

To be honest I've become self sufficient as well, I just got myself a partner who is mechanical minded though, seemed like the better and smarter option.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:51 pm

ball bearing wrote: <snip> This is so much better than driving a couple of hours to drop off my bikes to the shop and collect them again in a couple of weeks <snip>
Wow..I drop my bike off in the morning - usually as part of commuting to work - and collect for the ride home. This is pretty easy for me and often has a phone call or two in there to let me know anything different than what was discussed ie chain wear, cracked whatzit, and quote for these additionals, not to mention a confirmation my bike was ready.

I may be lucky in my experiences, but certainly nothing has needed to remain in overnight unless I dropped the bike off early for my own convenience.

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:08 pm

moosterbounce wrote:
ball bearing wrote: <snip> This is so much better than driving a couple of hours to drop off my bikes to the shop and collect them again in a couple of weeks <snip>
Wow..I drop my bike off in the morning - usually as part of commuting to work - and collect for the ride home. This is pretty easy for me and often has a phone call or two in there to let me know anything different than what was discussed ie chain wear, cracked whatzit, and quote for these additionals, not to mention a confirmation my bike was ready.

I may be lucky in my experiences, but certainly nothing has needed to remain in overnight unless I dropped the bike off early for my own convenience.
I live in the sticks and the shop in the regional town is always flat out trying to keep up with all the repair/building work. It used to be different when there was a shop owned by a friend who would find the time to work on my bikes while I waited, but since he sold up I am stuck with being at the end of the queue. It might be a couple of weeks before I can get back to the shop even if the work has been finished before then and the prices for repair work have gone through the roof which has effectively paid for all my tools and stands.

Anyhow, setting my self up tool wise was the best thing I have done for a long while and I find myself really enjoying (mostly) my time tinkering in my garage and I have developed some skill in the bargain.

colinmc400

Postby colinmc400 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:58 am

Well that seems to have taken a turn off into left field!! Have i got any tools - plenty thanks and a work stand to put my bike on and a decent amount of mechanical/technical background. Will i do this myself - the answer is still no. Do i do most things myself, sure do, but the issue i have has me and my "normal LBS" a bit stumped. There is no point me continuing to guess or fiddle with it, in the hope i hit on the right answer. So as i would rather be riding the bike, i'll inlist the help from "the best bike mechanic in Perth" and learn from from what he finds. Coming from 20 years of racing road and offroad motorcycles, i learnt there were times when you have to use people who will always know more than you do and will likely have seen the very problem that you are loosing sleep over. I never asked the engine guy to do suspension and keen as the suspension guy was, he was never allowed to touch the engines.

So given a proper bike fit was well overdue, i think its time for a visit to Aldo.

Sith1

Postby Sith1 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:47 pm

Steve Harcourt hands down if you want to drop off and pick up
Eddy Hollands brilliant, and comes to you.