New advanced stop boxes

chee

New advanced stop boxes

Postby chee » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:41 pm

Anyone notice these new inclusions to the Perth CBD? Corner of Murray and Pier Street. Not a heavily trafficked area, but it's a good start.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: New advanced stop boxes

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:39 pm

Wow, that's huge, does that routes traffic justify the size?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:36 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Wow, that's huge, does that routes traffic justify the size?
I don't ride through this section but I can't see how it could be justified, the only 'roads' that feed into here are a pedestrian mall where cycling is banned (though apparently not enforced) and a cross street that has been waiting 6 years for promised bike lanes to be installed.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:07 pm

Sounds about right.
Build something big and shiny where it won't see much use to much media hype and then, when it's hardly used...
Sigh
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:20 am

chee wrote:Anyone notice these new inclusions to the Perth CBD? Corner of Murray and Pier Street. Not a heavily trafficked area, but it's a good start.
Isn't this on the corner of Murray and Elder St? Where the only option is to turn left, and no access back to the shared path on George St? If it isn't this location, then I'll dig up some photos as I'm pretty sure I provided some feedback to City of Perth when they installed a similar bike cage at Murray and Elder St earlier this year.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:50 am

rolandp wrote:
chee wrote:Anyone notice these new inclusions to the Perth CBD? Corner of Murray and Pier Street. Not a heavily trafficked area, but it's a good start.
Isn't this on the corner of Murray and Elder St?
It's definitely the corner of Murray and Pier as you can see Miss Maud's on the left of the first photo.

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:53 am

It was posted on the City of Perth facebook last week (scroll past all the Snowland complaints)

"The newly installed head-start boxes for cyclists on Murray Street East. To find out more about what is planned for the cycle network in the City visit -
http://www.perth.wa.gov.au/planning-dev ... -plan-2029" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; "

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:11 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Wow, that's huge, does that routes traffic justify the size?
Not in my experience thus far. But it may be a classic chicken-and-egg. Not much traffic is there IME but then not much cycle traffic goes anywhere inside Perth - just cyclists skirting around it because the infrastructure sux. More routes, more attention to our needs and so forth and then the traffic will come.

And, with the radical change in the mood and utility of the CBD in the last couple of years, I have a fair bit of confidence that we will see more of this, instead of past plans not acted upon.

So, maybe, with other lanes and stuff, this may get the traffic to justify it. (If it doesn't, I guess they can make it a Reserved-for-Transperth-Bus bay with minimal change in signage. :mrgreen: )

Or, as I said, the chicken and the egg.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:30 pm

Fair call Col, so, if the chicken does hatch would that stretch be likely to form part of a coherent network or just stay a little used spur?

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:22 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Fair call Col, so, if the chicken does hatch would that stretch be likely to form part of a coherent network or just stay a little used spur?

Shaun
Map at Page 32 at http://www.bwa.org.au/file/Draft%20Cycl ... eb)(1).pdf

It helps to have google maps zoomed to about the same scale on half the screen to amke sense of it.

On the intersection under discussion, an "integrated Cycling Route" (grey) goes through there from around the Freeway interchange to Royal Perth Hospital.

Also of interest to some is the Implentation Plan currently ineffect at http://www.perth.wa.gov.au/sites/defaul ... 0-2017.pdf

Pedestrian priority zones (the broken lines) can accomodate cyclists at controlled speeds but I suspect that it will not be universal across all such zones. Last I heard the ones around Betty's Jetty (sorry, Elizabeth Quay) were going to allow cyclists to use without dismounting. Others? Maybe, maybe not.

BTW, the Works Committee is now moving on enabling cyclists across trafalgar bridge in Claisebrook without dismounting. (It has had a bad history despite being built in the first place with cycling intended to share it.)
That Works and Urban Development Committee notes the City’s intention to investigate suitable design solution, including the status quo, that will facilitate the implementation of a Pedestrian Priority Zone at the Trafalgar Bridge, East Perth, within the current financial year to accommodate slow speed, controlled bicycle movements, in-line with the City of Perth Cycle Plan 2029.
Things ARE getting better. I think it is likely now that the impetus will build fairly quickly. Perhaps someone from BWA or BTA or AndrewAushiker or Roland or... can give a more informed opinion.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:48 pm

My bad, they are not the Murray/Pier St, these are:
East direction
West direction

I attempted to ride the length of Murray St, using this new facility, and, due to the lane begins/lane ends /lane located next to parked cars/experienced two people jumping out of 'non-moving cars' and failing to look, it was not the best experience.

At this time, they stop at William St (with no bike cage - not too sure why) as we still currently can not ride the Murray St Mall (or if we are there are no signs, and it was promised that we would some time in 2013/14), so you then need either go to St George's Tce or Wellington St, and make your way back to Murray St to continue using these facilities - I choose not to this time.

So I agree with chee, that they are a start, but at this time, I would not classify them as a 'good start'.

As an additional observation, I went back and used one of the bike cages to turn right, which meant I 'cut-in' on several motorists. I got a 'beep' from at least one motorists, so if we are legally allowed to do this (which I assume they have been installed this way so that we can), then education is required for some motorists.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:34 pm

They have similar treatment on Stirling Street, Northbridge recently:
It is pretty effective and much needed along here, particularly in the evening when there are queues of cars, cars parked adjacent, and cars often pulling out from neighbouring driveways. You can even see in this 'snapshot' a car blocking the bike lane waiting to move into the motor vehicle lane. The lanes are about 50% too narrow, it is a worry for doorings.

Also note Aberdeen Street at the intersection to the bottom was meant to have bike lanes done last financial year IIRC. Maybe this year?? :?