Riding partner or partners in mandurah area wa

Big Andy

Riding partner or partners in mandurah area wa

Postby Big Andy » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:47 pm

Hi all

I am a brand new member and this is my first post so here goes. I am a 50 yr old cyclist who recently had bi lateral TKR which were a great success. I have ridden for many years but I need to lose approx 20 kgs, and improve my fitness. At present I cycle roughly 30 kms in an hour, but want to improve my speed and endurance with the aim of doing longer rides and/or joining a club. I did consider joining a local bike shop club for rides but as I didn't buy my bike there they wouldn't let me. I will be working 7 days a week for the next 4/5 months so ideally I would be looking to ride after 4 pm. I have been training on a spinning bike for 2 months but that doesn't prepare you for a headwind slapping you in the face riding along the beach, as it did this morning :-( Hopefully I will get a reply or two. I will understand if I don't because 30 kmh for 1 hour is intimidating I realise :-)

moosterbounce

Re: Riding partner or partners in mandurah area wa

Postby moosterbounce » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:35 pm

Welcome Andy. Can't help you with the ride, but congrats for coming through the tkr. I had bilateral arthroscopic surgery - meniscal tears - almost 12 months ago and thought I was doing well until I ran a few hundred meters to escape rain the other week and have been suffering ever since!! Hope you are over up your rehab speed bumps.
Anyhoo...enjoy your stay :) I'm sure someone will pipe up soon with a ride invite soon.

Sith1

Postby Sith1 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:03 pm

Big Andy ,
go see Deb or Mickey at Fleets in Mandurah and join their shop rides ... you dont have to even buy a tube from them!

Big Andy

Postby Big Andy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:51 am

Hi Moosterbounce

I too had a meniscal tear a few years ago, so I know they can hurt like a pig. Do what I did and get both knees replaced, I know it may seem a bit extreme but on the plus side you get a note from your Doctor that excuses you from dancing :-) . Good luck with your recovery.

Big Andy

Postby Big Andy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:55 am

Hi Sith1

Cheers for your reply, but I'm sure they ride on a Saturday morning which unfortunately is when I shall be working :-(

Big Andy

Postby Big Andy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:06 am

Well I took my new bike out for it's maiden voyage this week and I was very pleasantly surprised. I couldn't say for sure what my speed was as I haven't swapped my trip computer over from my old bike yet. It seems I was managing more than 30 kmh though which considering I only had my new knees 13 wks ago is cause for optimism.
The day I went out was a typical English cycling day it started out in beautiful sunshine and finished with a stiff sea breeze and horizontal driving rain. One of my favourite comedians Billy Connolly states " there is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes".