Beginners road bike

Will2219

Beginners road bike

Postby Will2219 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:12 pm

Hi all,

I hope to buy a road bike at budget of $300. It seems not easy to buy one in this range of budget. But I still hope to see some.

I had done some research before open this post.I saw one brand name called REID are cheap which fits to my budget. However, I have checked some comments about this brand. Although Those guys said that REID is quite cheap price, but the customer's service is really bad. It takes a long long time to get their bike after purchase which out of their expectation. So I am worry about it and thinking purchase it or not.

So rather than REID, is there any cheap road bike recommend? I just have some requirements, the bike can run for at least 1 year and not easily broken (Because I dont want to go repair frequently).

Thanks guys

cherrycam

Re: Beginners road bike

Postby cherrycam » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:44 pm

For your price and quality requirements you may be best to look second hand, but you'll need to know what you're looking at. Also, no bike is without maintenance requirements, that's why YouTube wa created

Talks_to_Swans

Postby Talks_to_Swans » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:57 am

Second hand is definitely the way to go. Maybe someone here will offer you something. Reid are cheap, and you get what you pay for, I've got one and ride it every day. I think it's good value. They opened a store on this coast in Balcatta a year ago, so I'd recommend just having a look if you're passing by.

rambler1au

Postby rambler1au » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:41 pm

Reid at that point are OK but are generally , around the block bikes,not designed for long range cycling . You'll find the rims are cheap and the gears are lower quality than name brands.

But good for close commuting or short weekend rides.

So it really depends what you intend to do, if you want to take up serious cycling then go for a better brand second hand.

But If you know nothing of gears rims frames etc then second hand will be risky; unless you do some serious research into what you want.

Most important is make sure the bike fits you so make sure of your size before buying secondhand.

So if you just want a general recreation bike that you ride on weekends go for Reid at least theyll fit your bike to you.

If you get hooked you'll find you'll be upgrading before you know it.
What’s with these recumbent bicycles? Listen, buddy, if you wanna take a nap, lie down. If you wanna ride a bike, buy a bicycle

Will2219

Postby Will2219 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:15 am

Thank you for replying, guys.

After a deep think, second hand bike is not suitable for me. Because as rambler said, I know nothing about the frame gears rims. It is difficult for me to choose a bike fits me. Also, I prefer a new bike rather second hand lol.

For my propose of this road bike, it is just for a short riding (may be going gym and supermarket replace of walk.) and riding around the city as recreation at holidays.
Also, I want to get the feel of riding a road bike and get started of this sport. Let see will I hook with road bike riding.

Back to REID, I am going to buy REID condor if there was no other choice. In frank, is it possible for me to ride about 30km once a time? Because I really want to try a bit long distance riding, I don't to buy a road bike and use it in some simple ride. I know that the cheap price bike will not give the best for me, but I still want it to accompany me to go through the beginner stage lol.

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:16 am

Yep, 30kms is totally doable for a beginner, have fun!