Perth Aerial Photo Survey from 1965

HappyHumber

Perth Aerial Photo Survey from 1965

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:37 pm

Just love this.

Perth Metro Land Aerial Survey from March 1965

Punch in your address, or Point of Interest in 'Enter Location' and zoom in and around. For all the stuff that's changed, the funniest things are those that haven't in my browsing of it. The High Road Tav/Motel in what is now Riverton/Parkwood for one.... I can almost imagine scenes from a Sergio Leone Western Movie being filmed there; considering the desolation otherwise around it!
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

casual_cyclist

Re: Perth Aerial Photo Survey from 1965

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:11 pm

That's great! Belmont Forum was a paddock. I have share in a rental house near there and it's on the 1965 aerial but it was a dirt road back then, and on a dead end. Sealed and no dead end now.
<removed by request>

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:27 pm

Where I've lived was bush, my old shopping centre which I go to occasionally was market gardens (Phoenix shopping centre). Garden City shopping centre and area around it was bush.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:53 pm

To be living in Greenwood at that time I would have to have been camping!

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:21 pm

Everywhere I've ever lived was either bush or paddock :( lol

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:39 pm

Yes, I love how progress has turned thousands of hectares of desolate, sandy scrub full of nothing but white snails and wild oats into vast urban wastelands full of Midland brick McMansions, roll on lawns and discarded ab-rollers and treadmills sitting on kerbsides waiting for the next bulk rubbish collection.

Ah.. the serenity ;)
--

tomness

Postby tomness » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:12 pm

That is great. About half the places that I have lived in were there in 65. The CBD has certainly changed. Dumas House is under construction, but the freeway has not cut the city in half yet.

It is certainly interesting to see what has / has not changed.

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:56 pm

ah the memories - Weaver & Locke and Noonans factories on Mill Point Rd in South Perth, Bristile knocking out Wembley Ware in Subiaco, the ammo dumps in Byford, A B C D E F and G sheds at Fremantle Harbour all in their rightful places.......
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

Trepidious

Postby Trepidious » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:58 pm

That's brilliant, thanks for posting.

wexford

Postby wexford » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:14 am

Great post!

Landgate have something similar with mosaics dating back to 1953 (and many in between then and now). Hopefully Google will pick those up as well, because the Landgate one is pretty clunky compared to this.

Check out https://www.landgate.wa.gov.au/bmvf/app/mapviewer/# (you'll need Java...gah...)

redned

Postby redned » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:01 pm

In my neck of the woods, a narrow road west from Lake Goollelal in Kingsley sits right where the shared path runs from Montessori Ave to the freeway PSP.

Is this Perth's first piece of cycling infrastructure?

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:47 pm

redned wrote:In my neck of the woods, a narrow road west from Lake Goollelal in Kingsley sits right where the shared path runs from Montessori Ave to the freeway PSP.
I'm old enough to remember Kingsley being ripped out of the bush. That road was the original road in and had (what we thought were) old farm houses on it - the photos show subdivision along the road.

As Hepburn avenue and Kingsley drive were completed the road was pensioned off, but became a popular walking path. It must have been part of "the plan" back in the early eighties as the Kingsly Drive underpass was there from "day one".

I remember Greenwood being held up as a icon of "green design" due to the (then) many parks all interconnected by underpasses supposedly allowing pedestrian travel to the schools and shops. So I imagine that's what caused the retention of the road (whose name currently escapes me).

It's a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. (Can you imagine the uproar if someone were to go hunting for rabbits on that path today?)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:32 am

Thoglette wrote:
redned wrote:In my neck of the woods, a narrow road west from Lake Goollelal in Kingsley sits right where the shared path runs from Montessori Ave to the freeway PSP.
I'm old enough to remember Kingsley being ripped out of the bush. That road was the original road in and had (what we thought were) old farm houses on it - the photos show subdivision along the road.

As Hepburn avenue and Kingsley drive were completed the road was pensioned off, but became a popular walking path. It must have been part of "the plan" back in the early eighties as the Kingsly Drive underpass was there from "day one".

I remember Greenwood being held up as a icon of "green design" due to the (then) many parks all interconnected by underpasses supposedly allowing pedestrian travel to the schools and shops. So I imagine that's what caused the retention of the road (whose name currently escapes me).

It's a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. (Can you imagine the uproar if someone were to go hunting for rabbits on that path today?)

Spending most of my early childhood growing up in Greenwood, I was somewhat amazed when I moved into other suburbs and found those underpasses weren't "the norm" - As a kid, they were great. It was terrific to be able to hurtle around so much of the suburb with minimal road interaction.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:16 pm

HappyHumber wrote:Just love this.
Doesn't quite make it to Mandurah - but the cover photo from The Triffids "Born Sandy Devotional" shows the inlet c. 1961
(thanks to 'Evil' Graeme Lee - there's a bigger version there too)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:48 pm

Thoglette wrote:Doesn't quite make it to Mandurah - but the cover photo from The Triffids "Born Sandy Devotional" shows the inlet
Nice! I hadn't made that connection, but I have recently discovered the Triffids; I was pre-teen and cut off from culture in a small town WA when they were at their peak. I love all the WA references in their stuff.
--

wexford

Postby wexford » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:30 am

The road from Lake Goollelal to Kingsley and the freeway PSP was Robertson Road from the 60s (possibly earlier). My mum learned to drive there - it was sealed at the time. When the suburbs swallowed it, it was isolated from the local road network and left to rot, at which point it was a useful bike path. Later in the 90s it was resealed and made into what I believe is now named Robertson Walk.

Greenwood was a brilliant place to grow up with a bike. I could get all the way from Warwick Road through the Coolibah Drive shops at the bottom of the hill without barely touching any road. Laneways, underpasses and paths everywhere!

BaldPatch

Postby BaldPatch » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:46 pm

What is now the Railway heritage Trail in the hills is visible, think the track was decommissioned sometime in the 1960's.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:45 am

Thoglette wrote:

I've been wondering for a while why that dead straight shared path corridor exists through what is otherwise a cookie cutter suburb - thanks for posting those recollections. Ditto wexford.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:49 am

BaldPatch wrote:What is now the Railway heritage Trail in the hills is visible, think the track was decommissioned sometime in the 1960's.
The route through Mundaring ceased operation in 1954, the route through Swan View/Parkerville 1966 iirc.