Cyclist Hit by Car in Attadale

Scott_C

Cyclist Hit by Car in Attadale

Postby Scott_C » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:58 pm

From PerthNow & Channel 9 with video.
A Perth firefighter could be left paraplegic after a collision between his bicycle and a car on a notorious stretch of road in Attadale.

Ian Beard, 43, is in hospital with three fractured vertebrae, a damaged spinal cord and broken ribs after the crash on Burke Drive.

A security camera captured vision of the horrifying moment a car pulls onto the road as Mr Beard, a father of two, is cycling down the hill.
Apparently he was running Strava with a recorded speed of 52kph prior to the collision.

outnabike

Re: Cyclist Hit by Car in Attadale

Postby outnabike » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:09 am

A good man in hospital .It is a shame. Let's hope he recovers his ability to get up on his feet.So sad for the family.
Not the riders fault if a driver does that.The driver sat for nine seconds and went out into the riders path. People look but just don't see.
I have given up roaring down hills that have a road entering at the bottom, had too many close calls from cars just coming out or overtaking then left hooking me. I am starting to treat those places like pedestrian crossings.
But it takes the fun out of riding.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:23 pm

Scott_C wrote: Apparently he was running Strava with a recorded speed of 52kph prior to the collision.
It is relevant or appropriate that this is mentioned at all?

Surely (or at least, IMO) this comment only needs to come into play if that speed indicates the rider was exceeding the signposted limit for that street / road? If they were not, then it is completely irrelevant and does not excuse the driver from having done what they have.

Nevertheless, fingers crossed for a full and speedy recovery for the rider.

Shifter

Postby Shifter » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:01 pm

Dirty32 wrote:
Scott_C wrote: Apparently he was running Strava with a recorded speed of 52kph prior to the collision.

Surely (or at least, IMO) this comment only needs to come into play if that speed indicates the rider was exceeding the signposted limit for that street / road? If they were not, then it is completely irrelevant and does not excuse the driver from having done what they have.

Burke Dr is a residential zone - 50kph limit.
2017 Norco Optic C9.2
2010 Malvern Star Oppy A4

tomness

Postby tomness » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:18 pm

Dirty32 wrote:

Agreed. I hope he makes a full and swift recovery.

harmonix1234

Postby harmonix1234 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:19 pm

52 in a 50 zone. Had there been police doing speed checks at the time, that is within the accepted error margin. And a car would never be pulled over for a 2kph oversight. Also, had he been doing exactly 50kph or even 45, the outcome would have been identical, and that's because of what the driver did.
The 52kph argument is moot.

Bartek

Postby Bartek » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:40 pm

As a friend and colleague of Ian, I am shocked and angry that he has become another victim of the roads. I can personally vouch for Ian's safe driving on-road, off road and under emergency conditions. I would like to enquire as to what is being implied by "apparently he was running Strava with a recorded speed of 52 kph prior to to the collision" and where this information came from.

I think it is obvious from the video that in this instance the car driver was at fault and Ian was already taking evasive action. I hope we can all join in wishing Ian a speedy and full recovery!
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350

nescius

Postby nescius » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:21 pm

Bartek wrote:As a friend and colleague of Ian, I am shocked and angry that he has become another victim of the roads. I can personally vouch for Ian's safe driving on-road, off road and under emergency conditions. I would like to enquire as to what is being implied by "apparently he was running Strava with a recorded speed of 52 kph prior to to the collision" and where this information came from.

I think it is obvious from the video that in this instance the car driver was at fault and Ian was already taking evasive action. I hope we can all join in wishing Ian a speedy and full recovery!
Looks like the information comes from the Strava file linked in the first post. I would take any speed reported by the android or ios Strava app with a grain of salt, they aren't particularly accurate and you will often see speeds that you didn't actually hit (the highest I've seen is over 3000kmh). It's irrelevant in this instance anyway.

I also hope he makes a speedy and full recovery
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

ejaycarroll

Postby ejaycarroll » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:10 pm

This was in the news today:

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/injur ... zyvw5.html

As well as stating that we need to pay more attention and get off our phones (tick), he also stated this:

“As a cyclist, there’s no way we should be allowed to ride two abreast on the roads, we need to look at changing that rule," he said.

nescius

Postby nescius » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:39 pm

ejaycarroll wrote:This was in the news today:

As well as stating that we need to pay more attention and get off our phones (tick), he also stated this:

“As a cyclist, there’s no way we should be allowed to ride two abreast on the roads, we need to look at changing that rule," he said.
Well, he was knocked out so he probably has a brain injury, that can make you say stupid things sometimes.
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

kx315

Postby kx315 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:55 pm

This made my skin crawl yesterday when I heard the news all the best for a speedy and full recovery.

What Strava says is completely irrelevant in this case.

As for riding two up people can say the wrong things at times of great stress/injury :wink:
2012 Giant Cross City 2
2013 Giant Defy Advanced 0
2016 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:03 pm

Terrible. I owned a house near where this happened and I can tell you that I am surprised that these collisions are not more frequent. Motorists routinely cut corners, pull out of their driveways without looking, talk/text on their phones and otherwise drive like crazy.

Heal well, brother.

Tandem

Postby Tandem » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:53 pm

nescius wrote:
ejaycarroll wrote:This was in the news today:

Well, he was knocked out so he probably has a brain injury, that can make you say stupid things sometimes.
Not necessary do you need to be knocked out do make a stupid comment :)

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:14 pm

Bartek wrote:"apparently he was running Strava with a recorded speed of 52 kph prior to to the collision" and where this information came from.
Sorry, I must have phrased that badly as I certainly did not mean to imply any fault on the part of the cyclist, it was just a link to some further information that I thought was interesting. My own Strava history shows that I go through this same intersection at 51kph on a flat bar road bike with a cadence of 0, just rolling down the hill.

I was uploading my commute to Strava at the time I read the article so I did a quick search on the name and came up with the file.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:11 pm

So not only did smokeboxer wait before the pullout, a wait that would have given even Mr Magoo time to guess Mr Beards speed-had s/he looked for him, but when they finally noticed Mr Beard, they decided the best course of action was to stop directly in his path.

I hope Mr Beard makes a quick and full recovery.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

michelle_s

Postby michelle_s » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:32 pm

Scott_C wrote:From PerthNow & Channel 9 with video.
A Perth firefighter could be left paraplegic after a collision between his bicycle and a car on a notorious stretch of road in Attadale.

Ian Beard, 43, is in hospital with three fractured vertebrae, a damaged spinal cord and broken ribs after the crash on Burke Drive.

A security camera captured vision of the horrifying moment a car pulls onto the road as Mr Beard, a father of two, is cycling down the hill.
Apparently he was running Strava with a recorded speed of 52kph prior to the collision.
So he was heading down the hill going at 52km which was recorded on strava, was hit by a car and then found it appropriate to upload his ride on strava? Is that what you're saying? Or was this a previous ride.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:25 am

michelle_s wrote:
Scott_C wrote:From PerthNow & Channel 9 with video.

So he was heading down the hill going at 52km which was recorded on strava, was hit by a car and then found it appropriate to upload his ride on strava? Is that what you're saying? Or was this a previous ride.
It seems to be the same ride - same day as the accident. Much of the ride where he sets second-bests on a few segments are from the ambulance. I assume that strava can take live feeds from GPS.

The video quality is really washed out and I thought at first that is may be dusk. Perhaps at a stretch one could then understand how a driver could miss seeing a bike under conditions. But on on review there appears to be shadow under the car so. So am guessing it was mid-dayish and overcast and so making it VERY hard to see how a driver could miss seeing him.

So, it then gets down to things like clear lines of sight. I know the spot - I lived around there for a decade and am familiar with it's more recent, presumably current layout. It's a lengthy and respectable slope so 52kph is not hard to achieve . Using Google maps I estimate that there is clear line of sight of about 120m. At 52kph that makes it about 13 seconds from the point at which he should be seen to the intersection at which the car puled out from.

It looks to me that the rider flipped over the bars before the collision under braking.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:57 am

michelle_s wrote:So he was heading down the hill going at 52km which was recorded on strava, was hit by a car and then found it appropriate to upload his ride on strava? Is that what you're saying? Or was this a previous ride.
From the info on Strava he was running the Strava App on his Android phone which recorded a (perfectly appropriate for the conditions) speed of 52.2kph 49.8km and 1:37:48 into his ride at the corner of Carroll Drive and Honour Ave. It then abruptly drops to zero when the numpty in the car stupidly pulls out in front of the cyclist. The phone then remains stationary for around 30 minutes until it is apparently loaded into an ambulance which then earns a number of KoM's on the way to RPH where the Strava App continues recording for another 7 hours until it is stopped or out of battery.

I assume the phone app automatically uploads rides (or can be configured to do so) as the people I ride with who use the phone app always have their data uploaded when I get home and upload from my Garmin.

To me the Strava link just provided some interesting information about how hard the collision was. I was not suggesting running Strava had anything to do with the crash or that the cyclist was doing anything untoward. As a 'numbers' person I like to quantify things and it helps me to understand situations if I can look at the numbers. In this case I found that his speed was within 1kph of my speed rolling down the same hill which gave me a strong point of comparison and showed to me that he wasn't doing anything I wouldn't do myself and that it could just have easily been me in that situation rather than him.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:43 am

Hope he's doing alright. I can't recall ever being concerned with cars pulling out at that intersection, I will now! The driver must not have been paying the slightest attention to their surroundings.

Being lazy with our responsibilities on the road can be easy, particularly motor vehicle drivers who are in our protective cases, blunted levels of alertness and awareness by trip after trip in traffic. Handling 1.5+ tonnes of projectile is an onus that has to be taken far more seriously than many understand.

Thanks for the link Scott, very interesting. Amazing the phone battery lasted 9 hours with Strava running. It's very easy to save a ride using the phone app, just two taps and it's done, instant upload.

Rex

Postby Rex » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:23 am

No doubt the drivers excuse is he/she didn't see the cyclist.
Another case for running front lights day and night.

I hope he makes a full and speed recovery.

Rusty6149

Postby Rusty6149 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:40 am

Rather than comment on incident itself, I'd like to draw attention to the the statistic pulled out in the report that 5 other incidents involving cyclists have been reported at the same location. This would indicate that this is a particularly bad black spot on what is part of the popular "around the river" ride.

This suggests that there needs to be a re-examination of the junction, to reduce speed and increase road user attention. A mandatory STOP sign from the Point Walter car park, and speed bumps immediately preceding the junction on Bourke Drive would maybe help in this.

--Rusty

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:09 am

It says 'stretch of road', so not sure if it was this intersection for all 5 collisions.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:22 am

Rusty6149 wrote:Rather than comment on incident itself, I'd like to draw attention to the the statistic pulled out in the report that 5 other incidents involving cyclists have been reported at the same location. This would indicate that this is a particularly bad black spot on what is part of the popular "around the river" ride.

This suggests that there needs to be a re-examination of the junction, to reduce speed and increase road user attention. A mandatory STOP sign from the Point Walter car park, and speed bumps immediately preceding the junction on Bourke Drive would maybe help in this.

--Rusty
I reckon something needs fixing alright. What gets me is in this case, you didn't need a stop sign; the motorist stopped for 9 seconds. This blokes eye sight is the problem, it is vehicle oriented and specific. Doesn't worry about bicycles. Might be concentration?
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Bartek

Postby Bartek » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:47 pm

outnabike wrote:I reckon something needs fixing alright. What gets me is in this case, you didn't need a stop sign; the motorist stopped for 9 seconds. This blokes eye sight is the problem, it is vehicle oriented and specific. Doesn't worry about bicycles. Might be concentration?

I agree, the common denominator in most incidents of this type is lack of driver concentration (distraction) that will not be improved by speed humps and alteration of the junction. Drivers need to be trained/made to concentrate on the most important task at hand (controlling the vehicle) or they should be removed from the road.

Scott_C no worries, I was a little concerned as there seems to be a definite trend on some forums and definitely in the media and legal system to 'excuse' the driver by finding some way to apportion some blame to the rider.
Last edited by Bartek on Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:40 pm

Bartek wrote:Scott_C no worries, I was a little concerned as there seems to be a definite trend on some forums and definitely in the media and legal system to 'excuse' the driver by finding some way to apportion some blame to the rider.
That was my immediate concern, and probably why I took exception to the comment in my previous post.

All too often recently, people that dont cycle (or are involved in any recreational activity whereby someone is hurt) or that just dont like cyclists seem to be eager to apportion blame to an injured victim by citing irrelevant data, that they somehow excuse a suspect from what they've done.

Thank you for clearing that up Scott_C.