From Wangara to CBD: any recommendation?

jcdewit

From Wangara to CBD: any recommendation?

Postby jcdewit » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:11 pm

I want to cycle from Wangara to the AMP building on St. George's terrace. Any recommendations which route is the best?
Wannerroo road seems to be shortest, but not the safest.
Are there any more bicycle friendly routes?

Joop

archetuthus

Re: From Wangara to CBD: any recommendation?

Postby archetuthus » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:47 pm

Hey Joop, If it were me i would just go down Whitfords ave. Theres a cycle path along it the whole way and then your at the freeway PSP which will lead you all the way into town. I know it seems like a long detour - but more kms isnt necessarily a bad thing.

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:50 pm

Failing coming straight in along Wanneroo Road or Alexander Dve, have you considered heading uphill (various main roads or suburban routes depending on exactly where you are travelling from) to the Freeway and jumping onto the Freeway Cycle Paths all the way into the City?

You would have to think that the Bikepaths would be safer than travelling along a main arterial road (arguable perhaps, given what you sometimes read on here though)...

sorted

Postby sorted » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:33 pm

If it were me i would just go down Whitfords ave. Theres a cycle path along it the whole way and then your at the freeway PSP which will lead you all the way into town
^ This.

I've tried both and, although the Mitchell Freeway PSP is a few more km, it's a much more pleasant ride.

I don't know of any particularly good ways of getting from the PSP to St George's Tce, though. If it were me, I'd follow the PSP until it meets Aberdeen St, go along Aberdeen St and then turn right down William St.

jcdewit

Postby jcdewit » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:12 pm

Ok. I will try the Whitfords av and Mitchell Freeway PSP.
I think I will take Fitzgerald street, as Williams is a nightmare in the morning: chockablock with big busses.
Thanks for the info guys.

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:23 pm

Or once you hit Leederville / Loftus St, head up to either Wellington St / Kings Park Road and turn left, all the way down onto St Georges Tce.

If you'd rather stay on bike paths rather than head out onto the road, you can jump onto the bikpath just over the trainline and that'll take you to the back of the Perth arena (or you could stay on Aberdeen and come down Lake St, to the Roe St Footbridge and end up in the same place). Once you are there, its a clip up Milligan St onto St Georges.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:03 pm

I used to commute along Wanneroo Road when I was younger and dumber and before I had kids. Every single day, I'd have a close call. Now I ride 2/3 of my commute on the cycle paths and only 1/3 on main roads, and haven't had a major scare yet.

Go the extra distance and stay safe!
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

jcdewit

Postby jcdewit » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:39 pm

So I cycled into Perth this morning. No major dramas., but if you do this for the first time, there are some interesting junctions.
I cycled on the LHS of Whitfords avenue, where the paths have been designed by an obstacle course designer. I should have stayed on the road, but it was too busy for my liking.
The entrance to the path next to the freeway is challenge to find. There is no signage so in the end I had to use google maps to see where to pick up the track again but it took some meandering :)

Looking for the entrance

From there it was easy. But they really could do with better signage. First on Whitfords avenue, but also at the T junction on the bridge at the Kanangra Reserve: Left? Right? No clue. Google maps came to the rescue again and indicated right. From there onwards I left google maps on.

But the trip was good. So many different sections; it is very entertaining to ride that. Especially if you pass a long row of cars standing still on the freeway :)

Thanks for the advice guys.