Bike shops in WA negative/positive experiences

Aushiker

Re: Bike shops in WA negative/positive experiences

Postby Aushiker » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:43 am

Dirty32 wrote:In the case of Elite (and a couple of others in the same rhetoric), over and over again, many members seem to say similar things about them. That they go above and beyond expectation etc. and that would happily return / give them more business. Surely this constitutes a recommendation of sorts. Reading between the lines, it shouldnt take much for people in the market to realise that these would be a shop worth visiting.
Not sure how "reading between the lines" comes into here. I would have thought given the comments being made about these stores that one could make an reasonably informed decision about them.
In the same breath, if there are other shops that seem fairly central to many members that have not been recommended or even mentioned, reading between the lines, the perception would be that perhaps these are not the types of shops that would be worth visiting.
and this would be uninformed decision. Just because a shop is not named it does not make them a bad shop to go to, all it says is that they have not been mentioned.

You don't want naming and shaming but it seems that will accept shaming by silence. No thanks ... I prefer to be informed as best as possible to allow me to make a decision. BTW just because someone says something negative, an intelligent reading of the comments should be at a level to make an assessment of the criticism and to judge it on its merits.

There is a big difference for example in "xyz shop provides poor service and I will never shop there again" and what the OP posted. At least with level of detail provided by the OP an intelligent reader can make an informed assessment as to whether the the OP's experience warrants bypassing the shop or not.

To me it comes down to empowerment, to be able to make informed decisions; knowledge empowers, knowledge allows for informed decisions.

Cheers
Andrew

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:12 pm

Fair call... Play on.

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:31 pm

nevermind.. got distracted half way through the post, reading back over it it didn't make alot of sense and I've lost my train of thought haha

SNAKE ®

Postby SNAKE ® » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:41 pm

I have had nothing but great service and advice from Elite in Northbridge.
I have been through many NOR and SOR shops but Elite are the only place I trust with my bikes.
When you see the calibre of bikes they have for sale, including most of the best wheels on the market, there's little wonder why so many have nothing but positive feedback for this place. Ad to the fact, their customer service and mechanic ability is second to none.
2011 CANNONDALE SUPERSIX SUPER RECORD TEAM LIQUIGAS
2013 CANNONDALE SLICE RS BLACK Inc
2013 CANNONDALE SCALPEL 29ER CARBON 1

softy

Postby softy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:25 pm

SNAKE ® wrote:I have had nothing but great service and advice from Elite in Northbridge.
I have been through many NOR and SOR shops but Elite are the only place I trust with my bikes.
When you see the calibre of bikes they have for sale, including most of the best wheels on the market, there's little wonder why so many have nothing but positive feedback for this place. Ad to the fact, their customer service and mechanic ability is second to none.
I have dealt with them to, and are very good. Unfortunately, I have moved work and they are a bit inconvenient to get too. Also there language is not PG rated, if you are a bit sensitive like me.

All in all good to deal with, and stock performance equipment. :)

Parker

Postby Parker » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:20 pm

+1 for Elite Racing Cycles (from a female perspective)

NewStew

Postby NewStew » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:41 pm

After buying 10 different bikes from them (not all for me) I have only great things to say about Cyclemania in North Perth.... Wayne, Aaron and Nick have always looked after me with new stuff and given excellent advice (hence the 10 bikes). With regards to service Richard in the back room always gives great feedback on what needs to be done when I take the bike in to get things done I can't do myself and has even provided advice for me on jobs that I was attempting myself for the first time. A couple of times I have had a breakage (spokes, wheel truing and repairs after a high speed encounter with the pavement) and I have needed the bike back on the road in a hurry for an event and they have fitted me in even though their card was full.

Cannot recommend them more and will continue to, if they have what I want, buy bikes and bits and pieces from them and always will get my servicing done there (even if for some reason I bought a bike elsewhere).

softy

Postby softy » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:36 pm

NewStew wrote:After buying 10 different bikes from them (not all for me) I have only great things to say about Cyclemania in North Perth.... Wayne, Aaron and Nick have always looked after me with new stuff and given excellent advice (hence the 10 bikes). With regards to service Richard in the back room always gives great feedback on what needs to be done when I take the bike in to get things done I can't do myself and has even provided advice for me on jobs that I was attempting myself for the first time. A couple of times I have had a breakage (spokes, wheel truing and repairs after a high speed encounter with the pavement) and I have needed the bike back on the road in a hurry for an event and they have fitted me in even though their card was full.

Cannot recommend them more and will continue to, if they have what I want, buy bikes and bits and pieces from them and always will get my servicing done there (even if for some reason I bought a bike elsewhere).
This is my current go to shop. :)

jemima

Postby jemima » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:00 pm

Was in Elite a couple of weeks ago. They were very busy with customers, but I think that for road bikes, Elite and Glen Parker might be up the top, in Perth.

Visited Cycles Bespoke for the first time. Found the staff extremely down to earth and happy to chat.
Probably the best initial impression for me (customer service) of any shop in Perth.
Sure, they've got a kind of cool vibe appearance, but if you've got the money (for some of their bikes), that's fine with me.

toofat

Postby toofat » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:05 pm

Was stopped on the side of the road multitool in hand when a chap from Glen Parker stopped to help when i told him i was adjusting the uncomfortable saddle height he said it needed to go down but i was putting it up,
He rode behind me for a while then told me i was on the wrong size frame
Went and checked the Specialized sizing chart and i was bang in the middle of needing a 56 not the 54 i had paid over 3 grand for a year before as a first bike
And that shop was raving on about the bike fit system they had trained to do
On the bright side thats my only negative experience
Excellent work from Churchillls
Good advice at TBE belmont
Bought a bike at Glen Parker
Avanti Cannington gave me a derailer part free rather than sell me a whole new one

IncognitoMosquito

Postby IncognitoMosquito » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:10 am

The guys at Bikeforce in Cannington are always good to me. Always seem to be good with discounts on bits I buy. Bought my first bike there and got what I thought was a good deal, then bought my wife's bike but after that I didn't go back for about 12 months. When I next turned up looking at new bikes the boss knew he had sold me a white Trek and asked what had happened to it. I was well impressed.

Last visit they pulled my freehub apart for nothing even though they know I am doing more of my own repairs these days. The chap with the spanners said it was good to feel like a mechanic for a change!

Guys at Giant in Canning Vale are similar - helpful and always knock a bit off the price. Sorted out my carbon wheels a while back and didn't want anything for their time. Being Christmas I insisted they have $50 and buy a carton or whatever. They thought I was mad, but they had saved me hours of strife and it was well worth it.

Positive experiences also at Glen parker and TBE in Belmont.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:55 pm

Been to 3 bike shops in Perth:

Riders Choice in Leederville: These guys are great. Know me by name (am I in there that much!), always happy to help, nothing is too much trouble, always get a discount.

TBE Belmont: very friendly and apparently knowledgeable staff. Haven't tried to sell me something I don't need. Had a newbie question, didn't treat my like a fool.

Cyclemania: Big big ups for Wayne. Top bloke. The shop could do with some TLC but wouldn't hesitate to go there if I had the need.

So... 3 / 3 :D
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:47 pm

I've never had anything but good experiences with the shop the OP mentions, it's one of my LBS' and they've always been good to me despite never buying a bike from them.

As far as posting about bad experiences, I think you need to take you complaint to the shop before you go writing someone off online. Think of it as a right of reply, then if they haven't resolved the situation to your satisfaction take your complaint online.

That said, I'm not sure you can complain about a salesman trying to sell you something.
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

lynskey_rider

Postby lynskey_rider » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:05 pm

Glad you have had some positive experiences with them mate. That's why the title says both bad and good experiences.
As for posting the bad experience, we are all entitled to an opinion. I respect yours, but as far as I'm concerned, you don't treat any customer like that. Regardless of whether or not they have purchased a $10 tube or a $6000 bike from you.

You're not sure I can complain about a salesman trying to sell me something? So if you went to a car dealership to purchase a new windscreen and the salesman tried to ram a new car down your throat, you would be ok with that?

BiciBoy

Postby BiciBoy » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:25 am

Bike Force Success - very happy - dropped my dish wheels in on Saturday to be trued / serviced, done on Monday for $20!

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:52 pm

lynskey_rider wrote:Glad you have had some positive experiences with them mate. That's why the title says both bad and good experiences.
As for posting the bad experience, we are all entitled to an opinion. I respect yours, but as far as I'm concerned, you don't treat any customer like that. Regardless of whether or not they have purchased a $10 tube or a $6000 bike from you.

You're not sure I can complain about a salesman trying to sell me something? So if you went to a car dealership to purchase a new windscreen and the salesman tried to ram a new car down your throat, you would be ok with that?
I think you missed the main point of my post which was if you've had a bad experience I think it's down to you to take it to the shop before posting your criticism online and at least allow them to try and rectify the situation.
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:08 pm

Pravda wrote:I think you missed the main point of my post which was if you've had a bad experience I think it's down to you to take it to the shop before posting your criticism online and at least allow them to try and rectify the situation.
Why? Since when is the customer responsible for managing a business? I thought I was a customer, you know going their to try and purchase goods and services, I didn't realise I was there to run their business :roll: .

If shop management/owner is at all concerned, then I suggest the management of the bike shop take a far greater interest in what happens in their store, that they ensure they impart the appropriate customer service skills they consider is appropriate, they establish the values they want for their business and if they want to be informed about what their customers feel about their business they can ask and then if their customers wish they can give feedback, but frankly if you expect me as customer to do that for you, then bad luck as for me, in most cases it is simply not going to happen. Instead I will walk away, I will tell others about my crap experience and I will spend my money elsewhere. Don't like it? Don't treat me like this in the first place ... not exactly rocket science.

BTW all of the above is Business Management 101 ...

If you think all this is not possible, then a suggest a re-read of all the positive comments about Elite Cycles ... seems to me the owner/manager of that business has no problems actually treating their customers well and hence benefiting from it; funny that.

Oh BTW I purchased a watch online last week from a business in SINGAPORE. Guess what I got in my email box yesterday? Yep, a follow-up email asking me how I felt about the service. You see this little business cares about their business and their customers. They have a good reputation because they are smart; they got my business because of their reputation. JensonUSA is another business that takes the same approach and surprise surprise I go back there and yep I do recommend them. Not hard really to give a damn about your business and your customers; simply their choice.

Cheers
Andrew

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:04 pm

TBE Osborne Park gave me a follow up call a few weeks after buying my road bike to see how it was all going, etc.

softy

Postby softy » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:31 pm

Pravda wrote:
lynskey_rider wrote:Glad you have had some positive experiences with them mate. That's why the title says both bad and good experiences.

I think you missed the main point of my post which was if you've had a bad experience I think it's down to you to take it to the shop before posting your criticism online and at least allow them to try and rectify the situation.
Personally I don't bother trying to have a discussion as you just get excuses, I give them a few chances then vote with my feet.

Actions speak louder than words

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:30 am

Aushiker wrote: Oh BTW I purchased a watch online last week from a business in SINGAPORE. Guess what I got in my email box yesterday? Yep, a follow-up email asking me how I felt about the service.
An update on this. I gave them my feedback since they asked and in return they have offered me a discount on my next purchase from them as a thanks. Not hard really ...

Andrew

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:18 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Aushiker wrote: Oh BTW I purchased a watch online last week from a business in SINGAPORE. Guess what I got in my email box yesterday? Yep, a follow-up email asking me how I felt about the service.
An update on this. I gave them my feedback since they asked and in return they have offered me a discount on my next purchase from them as a thanks. Not hard really ...

Andrew
There's an old saying in sales: you can make a sale or you can make a customer. It's true. Customers can be fiercely loyal if you provide a good level of service. I went to Elite on the recommendation of people I trust and now I recommend them to people I know. Good customer service is a smart business model. Interesting to note is that my good customer service with Elite started long before I purchased a single thing from them.
<removed by request>

Parker

Postby Parker » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:23 pm

My loyalty to stating that Elite has good customer service dates back to my first trip to WA about 4 years ago when I wasn't even living hear and they replaced a cable for me that I'd screwed up whilst crashing, they either hardly charged me (pretty face) or the charged me something. I don't remember but there book was full that day.

BiciBoy

Postby BiciBoy » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:46 pm

LBS these days have to rely on awesome customer service - they knowingly can rarely compete online with bike shops, so it's all about customer service that brings you back.
My local is literally 2 mins walk from my office, and while he's not the cheapest, he does what he can, but more over, his customer service is awesome. That's what keeps me going in back, even if it's only for inner tubes.

lynskey_rider

Postby lynskey_rider » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:40 pm

softy wrote:
Pravda wrote:

Personally I don't bother trying to have a discussion as you just get excuses, I give them a few chances then vote with my feet.

Actions speak louder than words
Aushiker wrote:
Pravda wrote:I think you missed the main point of my post which was if you've had a bad experience I think it's down to you to take it to the shop before posting your criticism online and at least allow them to try and rectify the situation.
Why? Since when is the customer responsible for managing a business? I thought I was a customer, you know going their to try and purchase goods and services, I didn't realise I was there to run their business :roll: .

If shop management/owner is at all concerned, then I suggest the management of the bike shop take a far greater interest in what happens in their store, that they ensure they impart the appropriate customer service skills they consider is appropriate, they establish the values they want for their business and if they want to be informed about what their customers feel about their business they can ask and then if their customers wish they can give feedback, but frankly if you expect me as customer to do that for you, then bad luck as for me, in most cases it is simply not going to happen. Instead I will walk away, I will tell others about my crap experience and I will spend my money elsewhere. Don't like it? Don't treat me like this in the first place ... not exactly rocket science.

BTW all of the above is Business Management 101 ...

If you think all this is not possible, then a suggest a re-read of all the positive comments about Elite Cycles ... seems to me the owner/manager of that business has no problems actually treating their customers well and hence benefiting from it; funny that.

Oh BTW I purchased a watch online last week from a business in SINGAPORE. Guess what I got in my email box yesterday? Yep, a follow-up email asking me how I felt about the service. You see this little business cares about their business and their customers. They have a good reputation because they are smart; they got my business because of their reputation. JensonUSA is another business that takes the same approach and surprise surprise I go back there and yep I do recommend them. Not hard really to give a damn about your business and your customers; simply their choice.

Cheers
Andrew
BiciBoy wrote:LBS these days have to rely on awesome customer service - they knowingly can rarely compete online with bike shops, so it's all about customer service that brings you back.
My local is literally 2 mins walk from my office, and while he's not the cheapest, he does what he can, but more over, his customer service is awesome. That's what keeps me going in back, even if it's only for inner tubes.
All of these hit the nail on the head for me!

Red Rider

Cycle Centre Perth

Postby Red Rider » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:03 am

Took my bike in for a major service at Cycle Centre on Hay St, East Perth. Haven't been there before so wanted to try it out. Ash did a great job checking everything, swapping out chain rings, chain and cassette, cleaning out everything and regreasing, replacing old cables and cracked cable housings which other shops have ignored. It feels super tight, quiet and smooth now. Price is good, work is great. Recommended.