Tow risk for illegal CBD parking - from Sept-2014

rolandp

Tow risk for illegal CBD parking - from Sept-2014

Postby rolandp » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:23 am

From The West:
Cars parked illegally in CBD clearways, no stopping zones or bus lanes during peak hours will not only risk fines, but getting towed at their own expense come September.

In a bid to boost traffic flow in the central city, the State Government will spend $1.2 million over three years to contract towers to get rid of nuisance motorists ignorant or dismissive of the law.

There will also be 27 extra cameras in the CBD to identify nuisance vehicles.

Despite $150 fines for parking in the designated zones, motorists still cop the penalty 11,000 times a year.

From September 8, the offence will attract up to $500 when towing fees are added to the drivers’ expenses.

Transport Minister Dean Nalder said most of the 125,000 commuters who came to work in Perth’s CBD would welcome the move.

“These vehicles prevent the safe and efficient flow of traffic during the busiest times of day,” he said.

“The State Government has surveyed drivers on the use of clearways and found 90 per cent of people support using clearways to add an extra lane of traffic during peak times.

“More than 75 per cent support tougher penalties.”

The affected areas and times are;

Clearways – 7.30am to 9am and 4.15 to 6pm Monday to Friday;

No stopping zones – 24 hours a day, seven days a week unless otherwise specified;

Bus lanes – Beaufort Street: 6.30am to 9am and 4pm to 6.30pm Monday to Friday. St Georges Terrace between William and Barrack Streets: 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

I have been personally providing examples on St Georges Tce, where you have to use the second lane to get around these illegally parked vehicles, so really glad that this is now being introduced.

worzel

Re: Tow risk for illegal CBD parking - from Sept-2014

Postby worzel » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:51 am

I am generally in favour, though my issues are usually with people dropping off a passenger then driving off (I was almost doored last Sunday on William St). I hope the tow trucks don't become an obstacle themselves rather than the solution. I think a bigger problem with congestion / safety is people driving into intersections / onto crossings when they can't get out the other side. I would like to see UK-style yellow box junctions to help address that one.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:46 pm

They've been towing cars in clear ways in Sydney for years. You should see the scramble at 3pm to beat the tow trucks!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:22 pm

Yep I had mine towed from the Epworth Hospital site when we were under construction there in Bridge Rd Richmond. Its a bit traumatic as first thought is, "me cars been Pinched"... :) Then I saw it going past on the tow away truck.Took the number off the sign and rung them up. Hopped on a tram and picked the car up from near Spencer St . Around $250 dollars lighter in those days.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:13 pm

Give it six months for the really slow to work it out and watch the difference.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:08 pm

Wonder how far up Beaufort Street?

My office is up the top end in Beaufort Street in Inglewood. Really frustrating heading back to the office through Mt Lawley in the later afternoon when people have overstayed their time in the clearway zones.

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:41 am

At the moment the Clearway Towing is being funded by the Perth Parking Levy and so the area is restricted to the Perth Parking Management Area; i.e. the City of Perth predominantly. I should imagine that Main roads will look to extend this to cover the new bus lanes on Beaufort Street further out, but not sure if they've worked out a funding mechanism yet. Ideally the Clearway Towing should fund itself ultimately.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:36 am

Thanks for sharing this Roland and for raising the issue from a bicycle rider's perspective. I hadn't really considered that aspect; I guess one advantage of outer suburban commuting :)

Andrew

SNAKE ®

Postby SNAKE ® » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:35 am

About time!
2011 CANNONDALE SUPERSIX SUPER RECORD TEAM LIQUIGAS
2013 CANNONDALE SLICE RS BLACK Inc
2013 CANNONDALE SCALPEL 29ER CARBON 1

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:47 am

Driving in this morning I noticed that "End of Towaway Zone" signs have gone up on Plain St/East Parade this morning just before the GFF overpass and lights.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:29 am

Conspicuous from it's absence is mention of those measures applying for those that park on bike and pedestrian paths. :?
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle