Parking across marked bike lanes

twowheels

Parking across marked bike lanes

Postby twowheels » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:29 pm

What can be done in the following type of situation? On the eastern side of Palmerston Street, North Perth/Northbridge, there is a marked bike lane, there is also a marked bike lane on the western side. It forms part of the Perth Bicycle Network route NE4. This morning at about 10.30am a white vehicle, ?DGM 67? , with drone aerial photography business signage on the side was parked across the eastern side of Palmerston Street bike lane. The driver/operator was parked across the bike lane while he was droning and taking aerial photographs of a building across the road. Profiting for personal gain while blocking the bicycle lane used by many.
His response when I mentioned he was parked across the bike lane was to laugh. My response was then to write down his rego number. Should have taken a photo, that is his business, he could hardly have complained.
What can be done in the type of situation as above?

Tandem

Re: Parking across marked bike lanes

Postby Tandem » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:49 pm

Cycle around him and enjoy the rest of the ride :)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:52 pm

Tell him you are about five minutes ahead of a bloke who is well known to key/kick/knock mirrors off cars that park where they shouldn't.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

hooman

Postby hooman » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:20 am

Don't waste your time and energy. I noted the same thing on Victora Ave in Dalkeith. A lawn mowing contractor parked smack dab in the middle of a marked bike lane. School kids were going around him into the traffic. I took photos and sent it to the Nedlands council. The response was, get this, "...it is not against the law to park in the bicycle lane..."

That was that!

So much for wasting all that money providing a bicycle lane well marked in red for "parking"!

I'm over it!
'09 Giant TCR C2 Shimano 105
'10 Cervelo RS Shimano Ultegra
'11 Time NXR Instinct SRAM RED Black
'12 Pinarello Dogma 2 Shimano DuraAce DI2

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:59 am

Ask him if he's got an operator's certificate from casa to commercially operate a uas. He won't laugh at that. There are too many of these cowboys who know nothing about uas running illegal businesses.

OldBloke

Postby OldBloke » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:32 am

Hooman

I wonder if you could report him to Police for blocking traffic (the bike lane is a designated traffic lane) and dangerous parking. The school may also be interested to follow it up as a road safety issue.
Sent from my GT-I8750 using Tapatalk

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:03 pm

Yeah, in my situation I did have a child with me, riding single file between two adults. Trying to teach some road rules funny enough. Trying to use designated bike paths and lanes where possible, lesser vehicle populated streets otherwise.
Legally the child can ride the footpath, but that regularly has cars parked across it. Further problem is if the adults also rode on the footpath we could be fined. Also of course the footpath is bumpy. Not so good to have the child on the footpath, two adults on bike lane/road.
Is this new, to be introduced to WA, clearway tow away thing going to apply also to bike lanes?

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:05 pm

Hi,

In WA the Road Traffic Code 2000 is very clear and prohibits parking in a Bike Lane.

The problem, however, is that there is some (deliberate) confusion over what is and what is not a proper bike lane.

By marking a lane, with a bike symbol, it is intended to look like a bike lane for cyclists while most regulators and enforcers (generally rangers) don't believe they are legal bike lanes and hence unenforceable.

Ask Nedlands council if they are proper (legal) bike lanes:
If they say yes then tell them the RTC 2000 and the local laws make parking in them illegal and they should infringe.
If they say they are not proper bike lanes then ask them why they are there and what they are.

The problem with fake bike lanes is too many motorists expect cyclists to ride in them, too many cars get away with parking in them and too many cyclists feel they have to use them - until they can't!
That is a recipe for.......

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:01 pm

hooman wrote:I took photos and sent it to the Nedlands council. The response was, get this, "...it is not against the law to park in the bicycle lane..."
If it was illegal then they couldn't park their own trucks in the bike lane.

Note: The StreetView image was from 2010 and I can't see a sign designating it as a legal bike lane back then but I rode Victoria Ave on Saturday and would swear that I did see a sign along there (not that it stopped cars parking in the lane).

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:19 pm

twowheels wrote:What can be done in the following type of situation? On the eastern side of Palmerston Street, North Perth/Northbridge, there is a marked bike lane, there is also a marked bike lane on the western side. It forms part of the Perth Bicycle Network route NE4.
Looking on Street View from Feb this year whilst it is a lane and there are signs relating to it they aren't the correct signs to legally make it a bike lane (white signs with a picture of a bicycle and the word LANE).

Unless the signs have been changed or there is some other parking or no stopping sign related to the area they were stopped in they may have been legally allowed to park there.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:41 am

Depending which part of Palmerston you are on it may not have been an actual cycle lane. From Aberdeen to Newcastle there are no cycle lanes (just shoulders), Newcastle to Stuart are signed bicycle lanes (using the old blue sign - still recognised under the code), from Stuart northward i dont think they are.

Short answer to your question is:
1. Take a photo
2. Ring City of Vincent (or Perth if south of Newcastle) and ask to speak to a parking ranger and report the issue

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:33 pm

Scott_C wrote:
hooman wrote:I took photos and sent it to the Nedlands council. The response was, get this, "...it is not against the law to park in the bicycle lane..."
If it was illegal then they couldn't park their own trucks in the bike lane.

Note: The StreetView image was from 2010 and I can't see a sign designating it as a legal bike lane back then but I rode Victoria Ave on Saturday and would swear that I did see a sign along there (not that it stopped cars parking in the lane).
Bike lane or not, they have parked just after where it says "no standing", funny!

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:36 pm

Scott_C wrote:
twowheels wrote:What can be done in the following type of situation? On the eastern side of Palmerston Street, North Perth/Northbridge, there is a marked bike lane, there is also a marked bike lane on the western side. It forms part of the Perth Bicycle Network route NE4.
Looking on Street View from Feb this year whilst it is a lane and there are signs relating to it they aren't the correct signs to legally make it a bike lane (white signs with a picture of a bicycle and the word LANE).

Unless the signs have been changed or there is some other parking or no stopping sign related to the area they were stopped in they may have been legally allowed to park there.
The blue sign with a bike and arrow doesn't make it a bike lane? Could someone please post a photo of the official sign thanks?

SNAKE ®

Postby SNAKE ® » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:33 am

I get equally as frustrated by experiencing this every week. In the end, I just decide to ride around and get on with life. Too much hassle bring a minority dealing with the masses.
2011 CANNONDALE SUPERSIX SUPER RECORD TEAM LIQUIGAS
2013 CANNONDALE SLICE RS BLACK Inc
2013 CANNONDALE SCALPEL 29ER CARBON 1

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:23 am

twowheels wrote:
Scott_C wrote:

The blue sign with a bike and arrow doesn't make it a bike lane? Could someone please post a photo of the official sign thanks?
The official sign is the black on white bicycle symbol + LANE sign.

The white on blue sign is no longer current but i thought is still recognised by the Code. Having just checked the Code i think im wrong? Bit hard to be 100% sure on my phone.

SNAKE ®

Postby SNAKE ® » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:23 pm

So its illegal to park in bike lanes according the the Road Traffic Act.

Seems the PSP is an exception for the Police with their speed camera vans..

2011 CANNONDALE SUPERSIX SUPER RECORD TEAM LIQUIGAS
2013 CANNONDALE SLICE RS BLACK Inc
2013 CANNONDALE SCALPEL 29ER CARBON 1

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:07 pm

twowheels wrote:Could someone please post a photo of the official sign thanks?

From: http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/wa/c ... /s132.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT:
The following sign is also still recognised:

From: http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/wa/c ... /sch3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:12 pm

The City of Stirling blocked the West Coast Drive shared path this morning causing chaos for riders and pedestrians.

They could have parked on the road as the median is only markings and no kerbs!

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:50 pm

Sinner wrote:The City of Stirling blocked the West Coast Drive shared path this morning causing chaos for riders and pedestrians.

They could have parked on the road as the median is only markings and no kerbs!
Still illegal:
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/wa/c ... /s165.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The driver of a vehicle (other than a bicycle, an EPT or an animal) shall not stop so that any portion of the vehicle is on a path, dividing strip, painted island, or a nature strip adjacent to a length of carriageway in a built‑up area, unless —

(a) the driver stops in an area, to which a parking control sign applies and the driver is permitted to stop at that place under these regulations; or

(b) the driver is permitted to do so under a local law.
Would have been much less of a douchey thing to do though!

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:59 pm

Sweet. Riding again on Palmerston Street today. A traffic officer was placing a ticket on a windscreen of a car I was just going around that had parked in the bike lane. Amen.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:27 pm

The City of Perth and Vincent are out in force at the moment for illegal parking. Most days they are booking cars for parking on William St Mt Lawley end during peak hour. Same with Beaufort St. I'd say they would be very receptive to parking infractions of any kind in these areas.

jonhanson

Postby jonhanson » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:05 pm

So during the City to Surf Fun Run the ambulance shouldn't have parked under the Narrows and totally blocked the bike path ? I haven't complained about it yet and would welcome thoughts. When we rode onto the road to go around it we were screamed at by organisers that we couldn't cycle on the road as it was for the marathon runners coming back from Nedlands. It was a very disappointing situation all round for cyclists of which there were many.

Hugor

Postby Hugor » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:02 am

I find this irritating no end. There are many spots on the standard river loop where I see bike ones being used as parking bays.
Cycle lanes on Waratah Ave, Preston point Rd and many roads through Applecross are very commonly used as parking bays.
These should be considered clearways warranting immediate tow removal.
It creates genuine dangerous hazard forcing cyclists to merge with the traffic.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:26 pm

I talked to a council's ranger services last week about a truck and car parked in a bike lane. They said that they couldn't do anything about it as it isn't against the law. But they said there are imminent changes to state law to rectify the situation.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:06 am

Red Rider wrote:I talked to a council's ranger services last week about a truck and car parked in a bike lane. They said that they couldn't do anything about it as it isn't against the law. But they said there are imminent changes to state law to rectify the situation.
Regulation 157 of the WA Road Traffic Code suggests otherwise. Regulation 138 does provide some limited exemptions which are for limited periods, however, parking is not an exempted activity. Also the latest changes to the Road Traffic Code came into place on April 27, 2015, i.e., yesterday. Neither Regulation 157 or 138 where part of those changes and hence appear to have been in place since December 1, 2000 (note: I have not checked all the Gazettes for 100% confirmation on that date).

Andrew