Rail service roads as mountain bike trails

twowheels

Re: Rail service roads as mountain bike trails

Postby twowheels » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:15 pm

exadios wrote:
BaldPatch wrote:The rail heritage trail is the obvious ride in Perth.
The rail industry is kinda close to my line of work so i am familiar with all the rules and i can say with some certainty that cycling within 3 metres of the running face (inner rail surface that wheel flange touches) of an operational railway line is DEFINATELY ILLEGAL as is entering the railway reserve. The railway reserve is generally defined as 10 metres from the running face of the nearest rail on both side of track alignment.
There is a boundary gate key in use that i suspect thousands of people possess as it has been freely distributed in the industry for many years and was not a controlled key, so you could borrow the key off a mate and go to Bunnings and get a copy made.
In the modern era , post terrorism etc they are now moving to a controlled key system to keep undesirables out.
Should you find a damaged fence and enter a railway reserve to ride along a access road adjacent to track and be spotted by a train driver or railway maintenance crew there is two possible outcomes.
If the person spotting you is a keen cyclist you may get a wave when you ride by and that may be the end of it or they may immediately report you and you may be prosecuted.
In the metropolitan area there are exceptions where a defined cycleway may be close to 3 metres from the running face of an operational railway but there is always a fence provided.
I often use the bush near a rail line as a camping spot. I'm talking in a wheatbelt context here.

I was not aware of the 3 and 10 meter boundaries but in any case I don't think I have ever camped within the 10 meters. But, mostly, the access road is nearly always outside the 10 meter limit. So what is the rule about the land between the 10 meter limit and the access road?
You have understood my context, eg West Aussie wheatbelt. I'm looking for the closest place north or east of Perth with these conditions. The service roads I have used are not within 10 metres of the rail, nor is there a (rail) fence, nearest fence is boundary of cockies paddock.

exadios

Postby exadios » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:22 am

twowheels wrote:
exadios wrote:
BaldPatch wrote:The rail heritage trail is the obvious ride in Perth.
The rail industry is kinda close to my line of work so i am familiar with all the rules and i can say with some certainty that cycling within 3 metres of the running face (inner rail surface that wheel flange touches) of an operational railway line is DEFINATELY ILLEGAL as is entering the railway reserve. The railway reserve is generally defined as 10 metres from the running face of the nearest rail on both side of track alignment.
There is a boundary gate key in use that i suspect thousands of people possess as it has been freely distributed in the industry for many years and was not a controlled key, so you could borrow the key off a mate and go to Bunnings and get a copy made.
In the modern era , post terrorism etc they are now moving to a controlled key system to keep undesirables out.
Should you find a damaged fence and enter a railway reserve to ride along a access road adjacent to track and be spotted by a train driver or railway maintenance crew there is two possible outcomes.
If the person spotting you is a keen cyclist you may get a wave when you ride by and that may be the end of it or they may immediately report you and you may be prosecuted.
In the metropolitan area there are exceptions where a defined cycleway may be close to 3 metres from the running face of an operational railway but there is always a fence provided.
I often use the bush near a rail line as a camping spot. I'm talking in a wheatbelt context here.

I was not aware of the 3 and 10 meter boundaries but in any case I don't think I have ever camped within the 10 meters. But, mostly, the access road is nearly always outside the 10 meter limit. So what is the rule about the land between the 10 meter limit and the access road?
You have understood my context, eg West Aussie wheatbelt. I'm looking for the closest place north or east of Perth with these conditions. The service roads I have used are not within 10 metres of the rail, nor is there a (rail) fence, nearest fence is boundary of cockies paddock.
I'm not sure what you consider close. The second to last place I camped beside a rail line was about 10Km south of Cadoux which is about 100Km to the north east of the Perth metro. The access track road was about 40 meters from the line.

There are a few lines that have recently been abandoned. For instance to the east the line running from Quairading to Bruce Rock doesn't have trains running but the rails and infrastructure is still there (at least it as about 4 years ago). Likewise with the line to the north running from just north of Dalwallinu to just south of Morowa.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:42 pm

exadios wrote:
I'm not sure what you consider close. The second to last place I camped beside a rail line was about 10Km south of Cadoux which is about 100Km to the north east of the Perth metro. The access track road was about 40 meters from the line.

There are a few lines that have recently been abandoned. For instance to the east the line running from Quairading to Bruce Rock doesn't have trains running but the rails and infrastructure is still there (at least it as about 4 years ago). Likewise with the line to the north running from just north of Dalwallinu to just south of Morowa.
Interesting, possibly a bit further than I was hoping to find. Abandoned lines would be perfect. this website interesting http://www.railpage.com.au/f-t11319042-0-asc-s0.htm I"ve ridden from Narrogin northward and between Coorow & Three Springs, both current tracks.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:20 pm

The York-Quairading line is intact but not used at the moment - should be perfect as it starts only 100km from Perth?
Another option is the Jarrahdale line - start at South Western Highway and head east as it climbs up the range. May be private property though as it wasn't a WAGR line.
Pinjarra to Dwellingup may also be an option - I am unsure of the status of this line as I thought it might be leased by Hotham Valley Railway?

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:43 pm

wellington_street wrote:Pinjarra to Dwellingup may also be an option - I am unsure of the status of this line as I thought it might be leased by Hotham Valley Railway?
Alcoa have stretches of rail in those parts; having worked a bit at their Refineries they have train loading facilities for the Alumina going to Bunbury and Kwinana Port facilities from Pinjarra & Wagerup. They branch off the main north/south line also used by the Australind passenger service which loosely follows South Western H'way to Picton and Bunbury.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

exadios

Postby exadios » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:17 pm

twowheels wrote:
exadios wrote:

Interesting, possibly a bit further than I was hoping to find. Abandoned lines would be perfect. this website interesting http://www.railpage.com.au/f-t11319042-0-asc-s0.htm I"ve ridden from Narrogin northward and between Coorow & Three Springs, both current tracks.
That triggers my memory. About 4 years ago a group from the Cunderdin club rode down to Narrogin via the the line from Cunderdin to Northam and the line from Northam to Narrogin. Both of these lines are in use and quite busy. But they seemed to have no problems.

Also the line running north from Goomalling and north from Wongan Hills should be ridable. Of course I've only seen the bits where I have camped so I cannot verify this but, from what I've seen, the road is about 30 meters from the rail.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:13 pm

twowheels wrote:BTW any record of the Indian Pacific route being ridden?
I know this is an old thread but it is on topic for me so just curious if four years later anyone has any experience of riding the Trans-Australia railway line at least between Koolyanobbing and Kalgoorlie.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:44 am

To answer my own question, found this on Arc Infrastructure's website:
As part of our accreditation from the Office of Rail Safety, in accordance with the Rail Safety Act and our agreement with the State Government, we have specific legal obligations to ensure the safe and responsible operation of the rail network. This includes the safety and wellbeing of people accessing the rail corridor, as well as strictly controlling and monitoring that access.

Due to our obligations stated above and our commitment to the safety of our people, customers, contractors and communities, we cannot allow access to the rail corridor for community events or purposes, including hiking, four wheel driving, horse riding, cycling and a range of other activities.

Arc Infrastructure’s number one priority is safety, and allowing members of the public to access the rail corridor servicing an operational railway would be in direct conflict with fundamental principles of railway safety and our key public message; to stay away from the railway tracks.
So I take that as an emphatic no.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:50 pm

Aushiker wrote:To answer my own question, found this on Arc Infrastructure's website:
As part of our accreditation from the Office of Rail Safety, in accordance with the Rail Safety Act and our agreement with the State Government, we have specific legal obligations to ensure the safe and responsible operation of the rail network. This includes the safety and wellbeing of people accessing the rail corridor, as well as strictly controlling and monitoring that access.

Due to our obligations stated above and our commitment to the safety of our people, customers, contractors and communities, we cannot allow access to the rail corridor for community events or purposes, including hiking, four wheel driving, horse riding, cycling and a range of other activities.

Arc Infrastructure’s number one priority is safety, and allowing members of the public to access the rail corridor servicing an operational railway would be in direct conflict with fundamental principles of railway safety and our key public message; to stay away from the railway tracks.
So I take that as an emphatic no.
Yes/no, in relation to your other thread we used the access road last year returning from Jaurdi station to Koolyanobbing due to rain and not wanting to stuck on the Jaurdi to GEWHY track and would use to again (4wd and camp trailer). There are no gates or fencing to the many tracks that intersect, so just plead ignorance if you did come across someone that had an issue with you on a bike. But i doubt you will actually see anyone :wink:
FWIW Jaurdi station has basic donga accommodation and even a hot shower if you light the hot water heater. We camp in the shearing shed when passing through. You don't need to book.
If your coming from Helena Ranges then ride Helena-Jaurdi (good track) and that will cut out about 100k of rail access i.e. Kool-Jaurdi. Never done much between Jaurdi and Coolgardie, but Coolgardie to Kal pick a track any track. Ride north from Kalgoorlie would be another great ride. Many old ghost towns once you get looking around and Gwalia should be on all West Aussie's to do list if your into our history.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:58 pm

Rail corridor? Perth metro this is clearly defined, for example by cyclone fence either side of the railway track. The original eg I gave, Carnamah to Coorow less well defined. The access road varied in distance from the railway line and was used by locals without issue as far as I know. We certainly were not approached and told not to ride bikes on the access roads.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:30 am

NASHIE wrote:Yes/no, in relation to your other thread we used the access road last year returning from Jaurdi station to Koolyanobbing due to rain and not wanting to stuck on the Jaurdi to GEWHY track and would use to again (4wd and camp trailer). There are no gates or fencing to the many tracks that intersect, so just plead ignorance if you did come across someone that had an issue with you on a bike. But i doubt you will actually see anyone :wink:
FWIW Jaurdi station has basic donga accommodation and even a hot shower if you light the hot water heater. We camp in the shearing shed when passing through. You don't need to book.
If your coming from Helena Ranges then ride Helena-Jaurdi (good track) and that will cut out about 100k of rail access i.e. Kool-Jaurdi.
Thanks for this. Will add it to my notes.
Never done much between Jaurdi and Coolgardie, but Coolgardie to Kal pick a track any track. Ride north from Kalgoorlie would be another great ride. Many old ghost towns once you get looking around and Gwalia should be on all West Aussie's to do list if your into our history.
When I rode the Holland Track I finished off the ride from Coolgardie to Kalgoorlie riding along the pipeline [access track]. Had no issue and was passed at one point by maintenance guys. The railway line seems to provoke more angst but, well in writing at least.

I am tossing up at the moment riding back to Merredin from the ranges and then catching the train from there back to East Perth as the alternative of ex Coolgardie/Kalgoorlie involves a two day bus trip via Esperance. Would rather use that time riding as much as possible.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:33 am

twowheels wrote:The original eg I gave, Carnamah to Coorow less well defined. The access road varied in distance from the railway line and was used by locals without issue as far as I know. We certainly were not approached and told not to ride bikes on the access roads.
This is good to know as I still considering following the pipeline and/or the railway line. Looking at the pipeline ex Northam for awhile at least it goes through farmland and whilst there is a corridor it looks like it is not well defined and probably problematic to access. The railway may be less of an issue in terms of private land, e.g., this view from Google Street View a few kilometres out of Northam shows the track, access road and it is fenced off from the private land.

owly

Postby owly » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:53 pm

Not north or east of Perth, but south:-
You can ride from Lakelands (Peel) to the north-east corner of Lake Coolyungup. passing through four reserves in a row; riding along the track along the railine, for a couple. You can go further north, but I'll leave it at that. Nice, scenic route.

Hit me up if anyone wants to go for a 150km ride down and back.
MUFC :twisted:

Sk

Postby Sk » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:39 am

I'm looking to try this between Rockhampton and Dingo to get to Blackdown Tableland NP. The highway is full of road trains and mining trucks, but it looks like there's service road next to the rail line pretty much the whole way. I'd be ona cyclocross bike.

Anyone ever tried this? Is it a horrible idea?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:02 pm

owly wrote:Not north or east of Perth, but south:-
You can ride from Lakelands (Peel) to the north-east corner of Lake Coolyungup. passing through four reserves in a row; riding along the track along the railine, for a couple. You can go further north, but I'll leave it at that. Nice, scenic route.
Is this along the metro railway line? Have you done the ride? Just curious as to whether one is more likely to attract attention riding along this track.

Oh I assume this ride starts or can start at The Spectacles.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:03 pm

Sk wrote:I'm looking to try this between Rockhampton and Dingo to get to Blackdown Tableland NP. The highway is full of road trains and mining trucks, but it looks like there's service road next to the rail line pretty much the whole way. I'd be ona cyclocross bike.

Anyone ever tried this? Is it a horrible idea?
This thread is in the WA sub-forum. You would be better off asking in the applicable state sub-forum.

owly

Postby owly » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:13 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Is this along the metro railway line? Have you done the ride? Just curious as to whether one is more likely to attract attention riding along this track.

Oh I assume this ride starts or can start at The Spectacles.
Route does pass along metro (if you include Rocky/Mandurah) lines somewhat. However technically the tracks are in Reserves which do have your usual walking/hiking-is-ok signs at one or either end of each reserve. No issues with train drivers or cops.

I've done the ride two times now; last two Sundays.

The Spectacles isn't in the route; that is a bit of a sidetrack, although a ride around (and into the bird blind) is pretty cool in itself.

The way I did it (due to the seabreeze picking up as the day goes on), is to ride down the PSP to the Mandurah turn-off, then head off-road on the tracks (seabreeze behind you coming back at this time of year). You can actually ride all the way to the south end of Henderson if you know where the tracks are.

owly

Postby owly » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:49 pm

Heading out at 6:30/7am tomorrow, doing the same with some variations. Wind is going to pick up later.

LJayW

Postby LJayW » Fri May 25, 2018 12:07 am

Hi owly, any chance you have a route map you would share for this ride? I'm interested in going as far north as possible, via service roads/reserves etc. Thanks.

owly

Postby owly » Fri May 25, 2018 5:45 pm

LJayW wrote:
Hi owly, any chance you have a route map you would share for this ride? I'm interested in going as far north as possible, via service roads/reserves etc. Thanks.
No map I'm afraid as I don't have a gps/computer. I could type out a directions one if you want, starting from Marlee Reserve and ending at Coogee.

owly

Postby owly » Wed May 30, 2018 11:31 am

LJayW wrote:
I'm available as a guide if you want to do a ride this long weekend, as the weather looks good for it.
Edit: wind direction suits best on Sat or Sun.

Hugor

Postby Hugor » Wed May 30, 2018 11:20 pm

If you look at Google earth satellite images there's a really obvious dirt track just to the east of the railway line. Its interrupted in parts by east-west roads but it looks like there's over and underpasses through these. Is this the track your talking about? I'm interested too. You could potentially create a loop using the PSP if you didn't want to retrace your steps.

owly

Postby owly » Thu May 31, 2018 8:39 am

Hugor wrote:If you look at Google earth satellite images there's a really obvious dirt track just to the east of the railway line. Its interrupted in parts by east-west roads but it looks like there's over and underpasses through these. Is this the track your talking about? I'm interested too. You could potentially create a loop using the PSP if you didn't want to retrace your steps.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. You can kind of see the main reserves lining up north-to-south when you zoom out. A couple of them have multiple routes so you've got to know which track to take so you don't end up in deep sand. The further you head north you've got to know the exact route.

That's what I do: ride down to Mandurah on the PSP, then turn around, heading back north. Usually I end up in Freo, then ride back home either side of the river.

owly

Postby owly » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:36 am

Some crappy pics from yesterday's ride...

https://imgur.com/a/fZ7bcVe

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:07 am

I thought I'd I'd post my experience of the rail service road through the Avon Valley.

I was camping out in the Avon Valley National park, & the next morning I thought I'd head down the hill & see if I could get home along the service road.
The climb down was very much suited to a full suspension MTB, not my CX, so there was a bit of walking.

Surprisingly I met someone hiking up the hill :shock:

Being Sunday morning I wasn't expecting any one working there. How wrong I was.
Not only were there a lot of people at work, they were right where I needed to cross the line to access the road.
I ummed & arrd for a bit. There was no way I was getting back up the hill, so I moved along the south side west & found a culvert I could fit me & my bike through.

I set off west with the workmen behind. Their trucks were facing the same way with no option to turn around, so my hope was they would be there long enough for me to get to Bells Rapids.

After stopping by a bush to stay out of view of the Indian Pacific train, I could hear a Ute approaching quickly.
Diving behind another bush, they passed without seeing me. But a little further up I could see them parked near a small transportable.

After being so stealthy, I decided to just go for it (I could wait there all day).
Fortunately they were further off the track than I thought & couldn't see me pass, but I wasn't sure if they heard me on the gravel.

To my surprise, there was no other activity, & I made it out without any attention.

Where I joined, there are no signs, but I passed many along the way that said I was trespassing, there is CCTV (I didn't see any) and fines apply.

I won't be using that again.
Although, what ever the fine might be, I'm sure it would be worth it, rather than climbing the 230m elevation back up to Bald Hill