Fremantle Mayor flags shutting cappuccino strip on South Tce

rolandp

Fremantle Mayor flags shutting cappuccino strip on South Tce

Postby rolandp » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:43 pm

From News
Fremantle Mayor Brad Pettitt flags shutting iconic cappuccino strip on South Terrace to cars after hours

THE tradition of “bog laps” on Fremantle’s cappuccino strip after dark could soon be a thing of the past.

Fremantle Mayor Brad Pettitt has flagged the idea for the iconic South Terrace to be closed to cars during busy evenings and at weekends.

Taking inspiration from European destinations like Barcelona and Paris, he wants the heart of the port city to become more pedestrian friendly.

“The tradition of bog laps is a long one, but change is change,” Dr Pettitt said.

“I’ve been in Fremantle 25 years and it has to be one of my earliest memories. I kind of like it, but there are times when the cappuccino strip becomes a carpark and people get squished on the pavement.”

The City of Fremantle’s draft integrated transport strategy designates for the first time a “low-speed, share-use core” which prioritises pedestrians over cars.

It envisages slower speed limits, pedestrian crossings, wide footpaths and a “less free-flowing way” to discourage motorists from driving through central Fremantle.

Multistorey carparks would also be built on the periphery, beyond Parry Street, which passes the oval, park and prison, to get visitors on foot.

Dr Pettitt said the plan wasn’t anti-car, but conceded there would likely be concerns from some restaurants and shops.

“The more walking and cycling traffic we get, the better retail will do,” he said.

Fremantle Business Association president Ivan Dzeba, owner of Benny’s Bar & Cafe on South Terrace, said he doubted Fremantle had the population for the plan to work.

The draft integrated transport strategy, to be considered by the council, also proposes a light rail system on the rail reserve to South Beach and the Cockburn Coast development.

It includes an online survey to see how many people support this idea.

citywomble

Re: Fremantle Mayor flags shutting cappuccino strip on South

Postby citywomble » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:01 pm

Fremantle Business Association president Ivan Dzeba, owner of Benny’s Bar & Cafe on South Terrace, said he doubted Fremantle had the population for the plan to work.
That may be true, however, it's not just the Fremantle population that necessarily matters. I believe if this did happen it would attract many people from far and wide that would come to Fremantle because it was like that.

Cars inhibit people and spaces, lack of cars liberates people, spaces and places.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:26 pm

It worked well when they did for the Grand Final last year. Personally I am all for it ... so much nicer to enjoy the area if you are not competing with cars and buses and heck who really wants to share their coffee with fumes?

Andrew

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:15 am

Yep, it'd be great for the strip. I've been wondering when it will happen for near on a decade.

Parker

Postby Parker » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:51 am

It's a great idea!!!

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:20 am

Who has used the strip for a ride?

I am a regular drinker and eater along that stretch as well as a less regular rider. I'm a ratepayer and I own several properties in the area. My ties go back to before the America's cup defence and I have an interest in it remaining a vibrant pedestrian friendly place.

I have often held it up as an example to friends in that I see a steady stream of bogunesque valiants, GT Falcons and the like cruising and burbling along it yet I have almost NEVER seen anyone doing anything dangerous or fast along there. (Well, I do see some younguns on MTBs being stupid but no idiot drivers.)

It seems to me to be addressing a problem that, while expected, has never eventuated. That problem does exist in places (including Freo generally) but I don't see evidence of it along the cupacino strip.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:47 am

There isn't a problem with dangerous driving. This is about prioritisation of pedestrians.

Cars have plenty of other opportunities to get around Freo. It must be about 8 years since I have driven down the strip. It's a space for people.

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:57 am

I'm for the idea.
I have seen idiots in cars go through there but I have also seen idiot pedestrians as well.
I think the danger is when there is very heavy foot traffic.
You can barely walk along the footpath (combo of congestion and sidewalk furniture) then people start moving into the road space or cross the road without looking - assuming that it is a pedestrian friendly space.
I (flame suit on) would also make it cycle free if it is a pedestrian mall.
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:09 am

Fair call Redbull, it's be easy to fit plenty of bike racks either end of the strip.

Karati

Postby Karati » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:27 pm

Its a great idea and I totally agree with Redbull. If it's a pedestrian only it should have no bikes.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:31 pm

Red Rider wrote:There isn't a problem with dangerous driving. This is about prioritisation of pedestrians.

Cars have plenty of other opportunities to get around Freo. It must be about 8 years since I have driven down the strip. It's a space for people.
and as a pedestrian I have never had any difficulty with crossing the street. Nor my partner who is incapable of dodging hazards.

I would certainly like to see it as a car free pedestrian mall. It is ideally situated and the nature of the business along there lends makes for a perfect fit. But let's not invent a problem that does not exist in order to justify it any further than that.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle