BTA Not Happy WA Government Funding

Aushiker

BTA Not Happy WA Government Funding

Postby Aushiker » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:08 pm

The WA Government has promised to spend nearly $40 million on bike infrastructure over the next four years but cycling groups say it is drastically short of what is needed to make bike riding in WA safe and appealing....But Bicycle Transport Alliance chief executive Heinrich Benz [CycleSnail] described the funding as "small fry and piecemeal".

He said it was unlikely to make significant changes to the way people travelled.

"While many of these projects will undoubtedly make small positive differences in local communities, overall this level of funding is still woefully low," he said. "We're talking about less than 30km of bike paths and lanes across the whole of WA.

"The Government's plan to spend nearly $40 million on bike infrastructure over the next four years is half-hearted and insufficient if the goal is really to get people riding.

"If the Government is serious about addressing congestion, easing parking pressure and encouraging short local trips by bike, it should be committing at least $30 million each year for the next five years for proper, targeted bicycle infrastructure."
Full article at the West Australian.

Andrew

ikm

Re: BTA Not Happy WA Government Funding

Postby ikm » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:22 pm

Given the other news today about government finances, I can't see this improving much :(

ColinOldnCranky

Re: BTA Not Happy WA Government Funding

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:32 am

ikm wrote:Given the other news today about government finances, I can't see this improving much :(
"The boom that got wasted".

I think we are supposed to appreciate a sophisticated and expensive route past coffee shops and shop fronts as we dodge our way around Betty's Jetty (aka Elizabeth Quay). All we had before was a direct and scenic route that took a good deal less time. :roll:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle