West Coast Drive Shared Path Idiocy

CXCommuter

West Coast Drive Shared Path Idiocy

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:27 am

To the special ning nong on a Felt this morning who felt it acceptable to scream along the shared path at 35 to 45km/h, shaving pedestrians, other cyclists etc you are an absolute idiot.
I was riding on the road alongside and apparently it was a race (with you looking over your shoulder continually at me).

FFS people this is a very high trafficked area for pedestrians, sightseers and "recreational" cyclists- if you want to ride at speed get on the road- it actually isn't that bad (and safer than the shared path IMHO).

Talk about improving our reputation as able to share spaces with other modes of transport :roll:

ikm

Re: West Coast Drive Shared Path Idiocy

Postby ikm » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:38 pm

Saw something similar yesterday. I don't get it. If you wanna ride that fast, do it on the road, the traffic is doing the same speed anyway, it's so much safer for everyone. That path is not safe for high speeds.

grimbo

Postby grimbo » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:53 pm

I've seen it on the bay ride circuit around lilyfield/drummoyne (in Sydney). One guy was even yelling at people to get out of his way. , I guess he was going for a rudeness world record or something.
"If I can bicycle, I bicycle" ~David Attenborough

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:06 pm

FFS people this is a very high trafficked area for pedestrians, sightseers and "recreational" cyclists- if you want to ride at speed get on the road- it actually isn't that bad (and safer than the shared path IMHO).
We'll said.

Shared paths are only suitable for slower speed cycling.

Austroads Guidelines actually specify <20 km/h and use of a suitable adjacent road for faster speeds.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:37 pm

CXCommuter wrote:To the special ning nong on a Felt this morning who felt it acceptable to scream along the shared path at 35 to 45km/h, shaving pedestrians, other cyclists etc you are an absolute idiot.
I was riding on the road alongside and apparently it was a race (with you looking over your shoulder continually at me).

Talk about improving our reputation as able to share spaces with other modes of transport :roll:
Well said.

Andrew

chee

Postby chee » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:47 pm

Should have given him a spray. I have no issue exercising my right (have done so previously) to tell a KOM chaser to pull their head in if they're endangering pedestrians, recreational and commuters on the PSP.

If you don't speak out, they will keep on doing what they do.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:23 pm

As he was clearly "racing" me any effort by me to catch him would have resulted in him trying harder so I just let him go, I was itching for him to stop so I could give him a verbal spray. Problem is lately, much of the moronic behavior I see is by people who don't care and either don't respond to being advised of their actions dangers/anti social aspects (i.e. ignore you) or respond in a threatening/bullying/offensive manner.

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:49 pm

http://labs.strava.com/flyby/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:23 pm

Thanks for the link- very tempted to flag Michael V's ride but cannot confrm 100% it is him.