Red Light Yield on Left Turn Proposed

Aushiker

Red Light Yield on Left Turn Proposed

Postby Aushiker » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:21 pm

The suggestion in this article is allow for all vehicles to turn left on the red light AFTER stopping to give way to other users including pedestrians and cyclists. What are you thoughts on this proposed rule change?
Road rule changes the State Government is considering - including allowing motorists to turn left on a red light - operate across Canada with great success.

Introduced over the past two decades, the rules have been designed to "keep the traffic moving" in Canadian cities, including Vancouver.
West Australian

Andrew

Parker

Re: Red Light Yield on Left Turn Proposed

Postby Parker » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:48 pm

Negative. Unless they actually put in walk signals at all crossings in WA. Pedestrians here don't seem to realise that they don't need to halt there walk to let a car through and cars need to realise that the ped has right of way.

WA has enough road issues, lets teach them how to drive first...

Aj_clark

Postby Aj_clark » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:04 am

I first experienced this in the states last year (right turn on red) and it worked beautifully. I'd love to see it implemented here in WA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:27 am

I nsw there are signs that say of you can left turn on red. Would probably suit more intersections than are signed but not sure with the motorists MGIF/rush mentality it is suited to all intersections.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:25 am

Hi Andrew that's good info.
It would be an interesting trial. I would like it for bicycles. I sort of all ways thought that a slip lane with a left turn give way sign was pretty similar; safe as long as you don't pull out into traffic coming through.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:35 pm

Here in Fremantle we have a couple of intersections where the left lane is a turn left on the green arrow and turn left/straight through on the green light. As a bicycle rider if you wish to go straight ahead you stopping at the green arrow is not appreciated at best. The alternative it to take the right lane and then hope for the best crossing back to the left lane/bus lane in the case of Hampton Road.

The intersection of Duro Road/Hampton Road for northbound riders is one example I am thinking of.

For those suggesting what is being proposed is a good idea how do you see bicycle riders wishing to go straight ahead should ride/position themselves at the intersection?

Regards
Andrew

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:49 pm

Aushiker wrote:For those suggesting what is being proposed is a good idea how do you see bicycle riders wishing to go straight ahead should ride/position themselves at the intersection
As someone who spends most of their road riding time (at least on roads with traffic lights) in groups I would do the same thing that happens when the group would otherwise be blocking the entry to a left turn slip lane, bunch up and move over to the right as far as reasonably possible.

Even when I ride by myself I don't filter so if I am stopped at lights I am always in primary position or exactly in the middle of the lane if I am the first vehicle to the lights and need to set off the traffic sensors.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:19 pm

If a car is stopped waiting to go straight they can't go past so why is different if its a bike? Just take primary position.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:30 pm

Red light turn possibility canned by BNV. I thought the idea had merit and would clear traffic quicker.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-12/c ... bi/5738990" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:33 pm

They used a picture of Aberdeen Street for this article

nitestick

Postby nitestick » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:25 am

No thanks if it's for all vehicles, I don't need to be cut off by drivers turning on reds too.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:17 pm

Basel, the third most populous city in Switzerland, has been conducting a trial that allows cyclists to turn right at a red traffic light – and the results are a resounding success, with no collisions reported and pedestrians said to be in favour of the experiment.
Source: Road.cc

As they drive on the other side of the road to us, a right turn is our left turn .... hopefully I have that right :)

Andrew

roller

Postby roller » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:57 pm

I'm not convinced "we" can be trusted with this, it will turn every red light into a give way sign.

By we I mean those in charge of petrol powered vehicles.
inflammatory statement or idea

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:24 pm

roller wrote:it will turn every red light into a give way sign.
As you are required to stop before proceeding with a left turn it will turn them into stop signs rather than give way signs.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:20 am

It doesn't cause any issues in NSW, but there it revolves around certain intersections with a sign installed allowing you to turn left on red after stopping. This would be a better way to go than a blanket law as not all intersections could be considered suitable for this (i.e. dangerous).

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:21 pm

When I was last in Adelaide I rode into the city, maybe around 40 sets of lights. I got across most intersections quicker and cars were held up a lot less than otherwise.

AFAIK there is no requirement for motorists in South Oz to stop. If there is they ignore it. As the one crossing in front of them I had no issues.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle