Riding the Rivers - Magnifique

flashpixx

Riding the Rivers - Magnifique

Postby flashpixx » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:09 pm

Went for an 80+ km peddle on Saturday and unintentionally managed to follow a river for most of the ride.

Started at Maylands, down to Windam Bridge, across and along the foreshore to Sth Perth. Then onto the Freeway Sth PSP to Canning bridge, across and down the Esplanade through Mt Pleasant, under the Mt Henry Bridge, along Pulo to Leach H'way, turn left and left again off Leach at Bull Creek onto Riverton Drive along it's length before meeting up with Leach again.

U Turn and retrace the ride back to the Narrows, down Mounts Bay Rd, Hackett Drive, The Avenue (that little hill after Steve's is hard work after 50km in the saddle), Birdwood, Jutland, Victoria Ave to Bethesda Carpark.

U Turn retrace the ride to Sth Perth, along the foreshore to Windham and home.

For almost the entire route I was beside or within a short distance of one of our rivers.

How bloody good do we have it in Perth. Add the magnificent weather on Saturday and it was heaven. :D
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

Lizzy

Re: Riding the Rivers - Magnifique

Postby Lizzy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:09 pm

Darn tootin', flashpixx. A good 60% of my commute is along the river. I love skiting to my friends that I get to watch dolphins on the way to work.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

rcmkII

Postby rcmkII » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:22 pm

Riverton Drive along the Shelley foreshore has been part of my daily loop for the past 2 years or so. I reckon I've ridden that stretch over 600 times and it never gets old.
Riding and writing my way to health and happiness.

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:59 pm

Not been on any group rides that take in the River loops yet, Flash?

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:14 pm

Dirty32 wrote:Not been on any group rides that take in the River loops yet, Flash?
No... not yet. My ability to plan ahead more than one day is poor at best. I tend to decide on a big ride either Friday night for Saturday or Saturday night for Sunday. Having said that, at this stage, I'm hoping to do my first "century" ride this Sunday in prep for Ride to Conquer Cancer in 4 weeks time.
Gordon

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:51 pm

If I were to decide the night before to go on a ride my wife would laugh in my face.

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:17 pm

flashpixx wrote:No... not yet.
Get speaking with Wayne or Barry down at Cyclemania about that. They do a slow to mid speed group ride, a River Loop (either through Nedlands, Claremont, Mosman Park, or down past Raffles and a Shelley Loop only) every Saturday morning at 7am.

It's a good little group. Some nice people and a good way to ease into / learn about the dynamics of group riding.
The km's tick by a little easier than riding solo.

And if you do plan on getting down, let me know...
Might even join you!

Oh - and what route do you have in mind for your century ride?

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:29 pm

Red Rider wrote:If I were to decide the night before to go on a ride my wife would laugh in my face.
that'd be why I don't have one of those :mrgreen:
Gordon

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:31 pm

Dirty32 wrote:
flashpixx wrote:No... not yet.
Get speaking with Wayne or Barry down at Cyclemania about that. And if you do plan on getting down, let me know...
Might even join you!

Oh - and what route do you have in mind for your century ride?
Thanks will do I know Wayne quite well. I'm going to head south on the Kwinana PSP until the Garmin reads 50 then turn around and come back. :D
... [edit] and it will be slow... around 25-27 kmh average with at least one decent break (15 mins) in the midde :oops:
Gordon

stealthbike

Postby stealthbike » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:02 pm

I'm going to head south on the Kwinana PSP until the Garmin reads 50 then turn around and come back.
I have done the same as part of my Ride to Conquer Cancer training. I have to say that it is a very boring ride.
My preference is to do two river loops which is far more interesting. :wink:
2010 Specialized Roubaix Elite - Black
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results" - Winston Churchill