Median Strip bike lanes

twowheels

Median Strip bike lanes

Postby twowheels » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:13 pm

I was driving my car to work following a truck this morning up Wanneroo Road. What with traffic lights we both overtook a bike rider three times, the rider very nearly coming to grief two times the truck passed.
As I drove further up Wanneroo Road with a median strip about ten metres wide to my right I got to thinking.

Bike lanes running up the middle of roads on the median strip. I'm talking about the type of planted out median strips such as those on Wanneroo Road and Morley Drive/Karrinyup Road.

Thoughts?

wellington_street

Re: Median Strip bike lanes

Postby wellington_street » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:52 pm

Mid-block - great
Intersections - terrible
Getting in/out of the bike lanes - terrible

Sounds like the driver needs a swift kick in whichever part of his body his brain resides.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:46 pm

Understand what you mean about mid-block, but then I saw mid-road bike lanes in inner city (Chicago?) in the video in this thread
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=78670&p=1173104&hi ... h#p1173104

I'm thinking it could get people who might resist riding down busy roads, and perhaps slower riders, on their bikes more for utility/commuting purposes.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:06 pm

I'm trying to get my head around how it may work at intersections. Maybe if the cycling lanes had their own phase it'd work. It would certainly be very prominent and be a well-defined area for cyclists, not just a line on the road.

From the looks of the video the central lanes were in the city with moderate to low speed motor traffic either side. A bit different to Morley and Wanneroo Drives.

worzel

Postby worzel » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:53 pm

I used to be on Carramar residents association and recall that council was not happy that developers of new estates put in grassed median strips which they maintained until the day the last house sold then let it go to ruin. Council then had to either put a lot of effort into maintaining the greenery or spend a lot of money re-landscaping. Maybe a cycle lane would be a valid alternative.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:14 pm

Worked fine the half dozen or so times I've used it, careful consideration of intersection control will be needed.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011