"Why I won't cycle to work in Perth" ...

Aushiker

"Why I won't cycle to work in Perth" ...

Postby Aushiker » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:39 pm

Letter to the Editor of the West Australian from Paul Nolan, self-proclaimed crtic of bicycle riders.

Source: BikeFreo

Andrew

outnabike

Re: "Why I won't cycle to work in Perth" ...

Postby outnabike » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:10 pm

Hi Andrew, interesting post alright.
I reckon if the man is fairly new to cycling he may have bitten off more than he could chew, on the day. I mean psychologically. And we can all share his frustration.
I am surprised that this situation is every where. I get the same thing cycling from Berwick to Dandenong in Vic. To cross a free way it is often a 100 metre deviation down the road and then back up the other side. It saves Vic roads a set of lights....and the bike riders lined up have all the time in the world , haven't they?
I can see how commuting would put the pressure on a bloke to try to run the traffic as a short cut.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:38 pm

Good letter, reverse psychology at play perhaps? It really is about time there was a carriage attached to each peak hours train where one is encouraged to stand with their bike. I mean as opposed to banning bikes in peak hours. Ultimately work a system where one could sit with their bike.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:18 pm

Awesome piece, thanks Andrew :D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

worzel

Postby worzel » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:26 pm

Credit to the bloke who wrote the article, at least he managed to find his way. It took me 8 goes from Currambine before I did it without getting lost. I wrote to my local MP about the poor state of the Mitchell PSP a few months back. All I got was a response from his assistant boasting about upgrading a piece of the Lake Joondalup path. Typical pollie response to ignore the question and say something they want you to hear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Parker

Postby Parker » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:22 pm

I used to take that path from Stirling train station to the CBD, I found that way to be fine, took me a few goes to figure it out, but got there in the end. It's not that bad, howeve some parts of the path you wouldn't want to get a flat...so spooky

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:51 pm

I never makes any sense to make a definite declaration after one ride.

I have just returned from Europe. I got drive around France (nightmarish on regional roads) and in Italy (which I have done before so less to fear).

If all subsequent driving was as near-miss and anxiety producing as it is for the first few days in a different environment and longer, then there would not be anyone driving in Europe. Or Australia or anywhere else. As it is there are hundreds of millions doing it and most live to a decent old age.

The fact is that driving - or riding - in an unfamiliar environment is going to be a fair bit more anxious and risky than in the long run. One ride is insufficient to determine much at all and hardly worth an opinion piece in a major news paper. Unfortunately some non-riders will be unjustifiably put off by this.

(No, I am not denying that the infrastructure north of the river is desperately in need of a lot of work and that is not harder than it should be.)
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:26 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote: The fact is that driving - or riding - in an unfamiliar environment is going to be a fair bit more anxious and risky than in the long run. One ride is insufficient to determine much at all and hardly worth an opinion piece in a major news paper. Unfortunately some non-riders will be unjustifiably put off by this.
I must admit my first response (unfairly perhaps) was HTFU :shock:
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:52 pm

I think much of our road issues are summed up nicely in the last paragraph. Motorists don't understand what cyclists have to put up with.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:53 pm

flashpixx wrote: I must admit my first response (unfairly perhaps) was HTFU :shock:
A case in point as to why enthusiasts often (not always) make poor advocates. People are generally lazy and fickle, and if their first attempt at doing something new isn't at worst neutral or at best a pleasant experience, they're unlikely to do it again. To not plan (yeah, I laughed as I wrote 'plan') cycling infrastructure around how a new rider/commuter would perceive it is vital if you want people to use it.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:13 pm

It's a nice letter, and finishes well. It is quite eye opening to see how much effort is put into making sure cars are not slowed or inconvenienced, but we can't do the same for bikes. Doesn't make sense, but it's good that it is recognised.

And lobster is on the money. Even mates of mine that race would refuse to take the routes I commuted on during my last job. On reflection I was putting my life in the hands of others without necessity, but I also work on the assumption that I have to trust other citizens at least a little bit.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:11 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote: The fact is that driving - or riding - in an unfamiliar environment is going to be a fair bit more anxious and risky than in the long run. One ride is insufficient to determine much at all and hardly worth an opinion piece in a major news paper. Unfortunately some non-riders will be unjustifiably put off by this.
flashpixx wrote:I must admit my first response (unfairly perhaps) was HTFU :shock:
After one ride Paul Nolan absolutely nailed it. Why should riding to work/school/shops be the exclusive preserve of the hard and brave? He also summarises the insanity of our current urban "planning" neatly and wraps it all up in a succinct package that expresses much about the attitude of most members of our society to transport cycling. The important and great thing about this is that it is only people like Paul who will ultimately change the lot of cyclists, the letter is all the more powerful for being written from a motorist's perspective.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:26 am

my reading of it was a typical over reaction not so much a HTFU- I agree the PSP is a shambles, it is inconvenient, difficult to navigate and a hodge pdge of back streets linked by essentially pedestrian paths. I personally don't think it is excessively dangerous- especially the Hutton Street crossover- inconvenient yes having to cross that many roads but if you wait (hardly no one does you have your turn.
What is dangerous is riders behaviour- excessive speed, inattentian and IDGAF attitudes that make for dangerous situations.

Can the PSP be made safer and more convenient- please, yes please. But the biggest issues lie with the users

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:51 pm

You wouldn't accept such a hodge podge for the cars. In fact, you'd move hell and high water to fix it. That is the biggest point to me. Footpaths are usually OK for speeds up to 15kmh, a jogging pace, but a PSP needs to accommodate 40kmh to be taken seriously IMO. The M7 cycleway in Sydney can handle speeds of 40kmh for most of it, and it includes a ton of corners which seem to be there for interest, not necessity. You don't get a more interesting ride by jumping onto public roads and off again with a PSP. It just creates danger, as expectations completely change. The rules around a public road are different to the PSP. No peds on the road, most of the time.

His point is timeless - "if this is the best I can expect, I'm not interested" and as pad said, the decision is made fast, and firmly, by inexperienced riders. And fair enough. I would do the same with the car or bus.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:07 pm

Xplora wrote:You wouldn't accept such a hodge podge for the cars. In fact, you'd move hell and high water to fix it. That is the biggest point to me. Footpaths are usually OK for speeds up to 15kmh, a jogging pace, but a PSP needs to accommodate 40kmh to be taken seriously IMO. The M7 cycleway in Sydney can handle speeds of 40kmh for most of it, and it includes a ton of corners which seem to be there for interest, not necessity. You don't get a more interesting ride by jumping onto public roads and off again with a PSP. It just creates danger, as expectations completely change. The rules around a public road are different to the PSP. No peds on the road, most of the time.

His point is timeless - "if this is the best I can expect, I'm not interested" and as pad said, the decision is made fast, and firmly, by inexperienced riders. And fair enough. I would do the same with the car or bus.
To be truthful I actually don't accept it- most of my commutes are on roads that roughly run parallel to the PSP as I have "outgrown" the PSP- i.e. I want to ride faster than what the current infrastructure can handle- unless I am on a recovery ride I stay away.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:55 pm

CXCommuter wrote:...But the biggest issues lie with the users
I wouldn't go that far. Users could be better, but the Mitchell Fwy bike infrastructure can be a hell of a lot better. That is the (bike) plan, but it is frustrating it is taking so long.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:15 pm

RobertFrith wrote: The important and great thing about this is that it is only people like Paul who will ultimately change the lot of cyclists, the letter is all the more powerful for being written from a motorist's perspective.
Amen. Post after post after post on BNA preaching to the converted does not increase the demand for greater supply. I don't describe myself as a cyclist, when I have people immediately have a lycra clad image in mind. Rather I now say I ride a bike to (insert eg, work/shop/kill two birds with one stone by riding rather than driving/etc).

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:54 pm

twowheels wrote:
RobertFrith wrote: The important and great thing about this is that it is only people like Paul who will ultimately change the lot of cyclists, the letter is all the more powerful for being written from a motorist's perspective.
Amen. Post after post after post on BNA preaching to the converted does not increase the demand for greater supply. I don't describe myself as a cyclist, when I have people immediately have a lycra clad image in mind. Rather I now say I ride a bike to (insert eg, work/shop/kill two birds with one stone by riding rather than driving/etc).
Yep, it's the authors previous viewpoint that give this particular piece its power.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011