What is the safest and best way to get to into mandurah?

newblah

What is the safest and best way to get to into mandurah?

Postby newblah » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:49 pm

Hi all

I've rode down to mandruah before from Perth and was a bit disappointed with the infrastructure leading into Mandurah.

Judging by google maps the best way is to go down the PSP then take the 'bike path' option when faced with going on Mandjoogoordap Dr or Lakes road. The google navigation seems to find a way to bypass going on lakes road (seen below) but Gordon road is pretty horrible, especially when there is lots of traffic. If there was a designated bike lane it would be better, but I'm not a fan of going on a 70km/h road with traffic. Anyone got a hidden secret of a nice quiet road they can show me on google maps?

https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/Pert ... 531535!3e1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers

Scott_C

Re: What is the safest and best way to get to into mandurah?

Postby Scott_C » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:20 pm

I have never ridden it but what is wrong with using Mandjoogoordap? It has a 3m wide standard bitumen shoulder in each direction with bike markings (not sure if it is a signed bike lane or not). Access onto the shoulder heading into Mandurah isn't great as you have to ride across each of the carriageways (separately) but once you are on the shoulder the only potential problem point is at the slip lane at Dubarda Link.

Speedster

Postby Speedster » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:22 pm

Nothing wrong with Mandjoogoordap Dr - as Scott_C said the bike lane is quite wide, can easily ride two abreast in it.

I normally take the slip lane at Dubarda Link and turn left at the roundabout. This takes you up to Gordon Rd, which isn't too bad between the bridge and Mandurah Tce. I haven't had any issues riding along that part of Gordon Rd to get to the foreshore.

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:59 am

Speedster wrote:
I normally take the slip lane at Dubarda Link and turn left at the roundabout. This takes you up to Gordon Rd, which isn't too bad between the bridge and Mandurah Tce. I haven't had any issues riding along that part of Gordon Rd to get to the foreshore.
Just before that slip lane is a bike path that also takes you up to Gordon Road. Before the bridge instead of after it. You can stay on the footpath as it is Shared through to Mandurah Terrace. Once you are at Mandurah Terrace you are back on the road in a cycle lane.

If it's mostly the Gordon Road section that is crappy for you I'd just put up with the footpath for about 400mt until you are over to Mandurah Terrace. Mandjagoordap Rd is probably the best option. You can however stay on the PSP until Red Road and Pop out at Gordon Rd. Footpath it over to Mandurah Terrace. Follow the Red line. Red Rd is very quiet. You will be lucky to see more than two cars.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:54 am

Pretty ridiculous that Main Roads failed to provide a PSP along Mandjoogoordap Drive.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:37 pm

Over these sort of distances I would generally prefer wide bicycle lanes on the shoulder to a PSP as:
  • The shoulder is wide enough to ride 2 abreast or safely overtake.
  • It is clear of overhanging vegetation.
  • Each lane is 1 way so there's no oncoming riders overtaking into traffic.
  • It is straighter, flatter and has better sight lines.
  • Don't have to worry about pedestrians/dog walkers/unicyclists.
One way segregated bike only paths on each side of the road would be even better than the shoulders but if I am going any sort of distance I would prefer a straight, flat, unobstructed, pedestrian free road shoulder to a typical quality PSP any day.

Of course this doesn't mean that Main Roads couldn't have also provided a parallel PSP for use by those with different preferences but if it came down to a choice between one and the other I would have chosen the shoulders.

Tandem

Postby Tandem » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:55 pm

wellington_street wrote:Pretty ridiculous that Main Roads failed to provide a PSP along Mandjoogoordap Drive.
Not really. I have no problems riding along Mandjoogoordap Drive. Got more room than on a PSP and you can be sure, nobody riding towards you 2/3 wide.

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:17 pm

Tandem wrote:
wellington_street wrote:Pretty ridiculous that Main Roads failed to provide a PSP along Mandjoogoordap Drive.
Not really. I have no problems riding along Mandjoogoordap Drive. Got more room than on a PSP and you can be sure, nobody riding towards you 2/3 wide.
I do occasionally have a guy coming towards me head on when I ride out to the FWY in the arvo's. Have had it at 9 at night too. The one guy I see regularly must know that the other side is there and will get you anywhere that the other side does.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3