Safety campaign backed

Aushiker

Safety campaign backed

Postby Aushiker » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:49 pm

THE Bicycle Transport Alliance has welcomed the State Government’s “Share our Roads” campaign to promote a greater respect among road users.

But the alliance said it was only one of many initiatives needed to help make roads more bike-friendly.
Balance in the North Coast Times with discussion on the BTAWA Facebook page.

Andrew

Karati

Re: Safety campaign backed

Postby Karati » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:10 pm

You know people can bang on about making cycling safer etc etc as much as they like but it goes both ways and it's getting much worse lately with all the fair weather riders out and about.

This morning there was lots of cyclists waiting at Market Street and Wellington Street next to the Perth Arena, over half of them then ran the red light after all crossing the white stop line to stop in the pedestrian walk way.

Next lights at Milligan Street and Murray Street, (which generally everyone has to stop at any way so why run the previous light?) it was the same deal with lots running the lights. Another guy actually shouted "It's a red light you idiots!"

Milligan Street and Hay Street, got across on the green so no problem.

St Georges Terrace and Mill Street, traffic was quite busy with busses in the left lane so I waited behind, plenty of the same folk from before filtered through (which is fine and I do too depending) but then they all take off on the pedestrian lights!

It's a disgrace and an embarrassment to us all. I'm quite tempted to call the cops and getting them to sit at the junctions and fine cyclists.

People can't expect not to garner the ire of motorists etc when they themselves carry on like total asshats. That's not a sweeping statement either, I'm talking 75% of the cyclists I saw this morning running red lights!

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:44 pm

Karati wrote:You know people can bang on about making cycling safer etc etc as much as they like but it goes both ways and it's getting much worse lately with all the fair weather riders out and about.

This morning there was lots of cyclists waiting at Market Street and Wellington Street next to the Perth Arena, over half of them then ran the red light after all crossing the white stop line to stop in the pedestrian walk way.

Next lights at Milligan Street and Murray Street, (which generally everyone has to stop at any way so why run the previous light?) it was the same deal with lots running the lights. Another guy actually shouted "It's a red light you idiots!"

Milligan Street and Hay Street, got across on the green so no problem.

St Georges Terrace and Mill Street, traffic was quite busy with busses in the left lane so I waited behind, plenty of the same folk from before filtered through (which is fine and I do too depending) but then they all take off on the pedestrian lights!

It's a disgrace and an embarrassment to us all. I'm quite tempted to call the cops and getting them to sit at the junctions and fine cyclists.

People can't expect not to garner the ire of motorists etc when they themselves carry on like total asshats. That's not a sweeping statement either, I'm talking 75% of the cyclists I saw this morning running red lights!
Completely agree- cue the usual argumentative suspects though

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:53 am

CXCommuter wrote:Completely agree- cue the usual argumentative suspects though
Every time I hear the expression ‘mutual respect’, I’m transported back to that moment when I’m on the bonnet of a black car, a car that has just driven through me, scooping me up, before unceremoniously dumping me on the tarmac, and my helplessness to avoid the collision, or do anything about it while it was occurring. The difference in power was total.

What kind of ‘mutuality’ are we really talking about, when this is the reality of interaction between motor vehicles, and human beings, when collisions occur? Presumably only ‘do your best not to be hit’. A pretty shallow form of respect.
Source: As Easy As Riding A Bike

Cheers
Abdrew

Karati

Postby Karati » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:29 pm

Same experience this morning.

I agree about the power differences. It can get pretty scary out on the roads and have been there and done that.

However, it's still not an excuse to be riding through pedestrians or through red lights like a douchebag. Or riding through pedestrian malls or riding up the footpath because the road is one way.