Cyclist & Car Collision in Osborne Park

Scott_C

Cyclist & Car Collision in Osborne Park

Postby Scott_C » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:24 pm

The West Australian is reporting that a cyclist has been taken to hospital in a stable condition following a collision in Osborne Park at the corner of King Edward Rd and Collingwood St.

Take care and watch out for each other out there.

ColinOldnCranky

Re: Cyclist & Car Collision in Osborne Park

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:27 pm

Stable condition but head injuries reported. :/
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:52 pm

Perth Now have published a photo believed to be of the bicycle involved in the collision:

sambo3

Postby sambo3 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:24 pm

I ride along there often, in fact I rode through there this morning around 6.30am. It has a bike lane either side and apart from where it dissapears at the Scarborough Beach road intersection I find it very safe. This part is a bit of a nightmare as the cars use the cycle lane as a second lane to stack up together side by side at the lights.

Was he/she riding in the cycle lane when hit?
I hope they have a quick recovery.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:32 am

King Edward Road does not have a on-road bicycle lane unless the shoulder has been recently re-designated as one, i.e., appropriate signs have been put in place as the Road Traffic Code 2000. If that has not happened then all that is along there is a painted line marking out the shoulder, which is available to all vehicles.

In my experience I found that riding south on King Edward Road in the evening when people are in a rush to get home that left turning vehicles into King Edward Road could be an issue and high alert level was warranted otherwise it was a good road to ride (except for the gale blowing up it :)).

I hope the rider is okay ... the mention of head injuries is not a good sign.

Andrew

sambo3

Postby sambo3 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:18 pm

Hi Andrew it has the Cycle markings in the lane; ie Bike pic outline I assume this means that its a regulated bike lane ?

It has this on both sides so not just a painted single line.
I think this then designates it as a Bicycle path according to the code. It therfore is not a carriageway so does this mean it is for cycle only?

It seems silly to have cycle painted on the road and it be labelled a bike path under the code and then be allowed to have vehicles to travel in it.

Could someone clear up the difference between an on road bike path and on road bike lane in reference to vehicular use as i could not find it in the code re the on road path. This is different to a carriageway with just a shoulder.

cheers
Sambo
Last edited by sambo3 on Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:43 pm

Hi Sambo, the bicycle symbol is meaningless, it is only there for decoration (or, less cynically, guidance).

To be a bicycle lane, it must have the official bicycle lane sign. Otherwise it is just the shoulder with a symbol painted on it.

sambo3

Postby sambo3 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:00 pm

Hi Wellington St. according to the code its actually a on road bike path but as you state it seems for all intensive purposes just a shoulder.
Why bother with the markings then. If I'm correct this means cyclists are able to ride on the actual road if they choose so for safety purposes

Just so I get this.
Does this mean cars can drive across the unbroken line and effectively turn King Edward street into a double lane carriageway
as Andrew suggests? This is what happens there when the lights are red.
I can't believe this would be correct under the law as its a single lane carriageway and the only way for two cars to fit is to drive over the solid line along the shoulder (Bike path according to the code). Except for a short section near the lights at Scarborough beach road where the cycle path ends.

Cheers
Sambo

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:12 pm

sambo3 wrote:Hi Wellington St. according to the code its actually a on road bike path but as you state it seems for all intensive purposes just a shoulder.
Why bother with the markings then. If I'm correct this means cyclists are able to ride on the actual road if they choose so for safety purposes
As it doesn't have a sign (not a paint marking) with a bicycle and the word lane on it it is not a bicycle lane as defined in the code (scroll down the list to the definition of bicycle lane). It is a sealed road shoulder with bicycle 'awareness' markings, not a bicycle lane.
sambo3 wrote: Just so I get this.
Does this mean cars can drive across the unbroken line and effectively turn King Edward street into a double lane carriageway
as Andrew suggests? This is what happens there when the lights are red.
I can't believe this would be correct under the law as its a single lane carriageway and the only way for two cars to fit is to drive over the solid line along the shoulder. Except for a short section near the lights at Scarborough beach road where the cycle path ends.
Regulation 129 makes it illegal for cars to drive on the shoulder unless certain exemptions apply. The exemption include driving on the shoulder to go around a car that is indicating right or driving on the shoulder for up to 100m if the car itself is turning. So, if every vehicle to the right is turning right AND indicating right cars going forward or left can legally drive along the road shoulder, similarly if the car itself is turning left it can drive on the shoulder for 100m (approximately where the bitumen driveway to Scamway is) regardless of what traffic to the right is doing. As you can also drive in the shoulder for 100m to leave or enter the carriageway cars can legally duck into a driveway and come back out again to increase the allowed travel distance in the shoulder.

Even if it was a legal bike lane cars are still permitted to drive in it for up to 50m to pass a vehicle turning right and indicating right as per Regulation 136. They are also allowed to travel in the bike lane for 50m to enter/leave the carriageway.

(Standard disclaimer applies, this is my understanding of the laws and isn't legal advice).

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:14 pm

sambo3 wrote:Hi Wellington St. according to the code its actually a on road bike path but as you state it seems for all intensive purposes just a shoulder.
Where are you getting this from in the Road Traffic Code? Can you please point to the regulation which states this please.

A bike lane is the only on-road bicycle related infrastructure that I am aware of that has to be defined by a bicycle lane sign not a road marking [this is a specific requirement for defining a bicycle lane. Bicycle lanes have specific requirements in respect of their usage.

Been covered whilst I type ... thanks :)

Andrew

sambo3

Postby sambo3 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:35 pm

Thanks for that I understand its not a bike lane as per the code but it's a defined bike path per the code which seems a meaningless disclosure.
I didn't realise Scott that even vehicles going straight across Scarborough Beach Rd. lights (not turning) could bank up in the cycle path for up to 100 metres. I will have to in future leave the cycle path earlier to avoid getting jammed in there and claim the lane.
Good to know, thanks Scott and Andrew.

Anyway I hope the cyclist has a full recovery

cheers
Sambo

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:50 pm

sambo3 wrote:Thanks for that I understand its not a bike lane as per the code but it's a defined bike path per the code which seems a meaningless disclosure.
You mentioned this before but I cannot find where you getting this from, hence why I would like to know which regulation(s) you are referring to in the WA Road Traffic Code 2000, where a path as being on the the road (paths are normally separate infrastructure generally beside the road infrastructure or of course completely separated, e.g., South Perth foreshore).

Thanks
Andrew

sambo3

Postby sambo3 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:26 pm

Hi Andrew does King Edward St with its painted cycle signs not define a signposted bike path as per in the code?
Note
: The Code defines 'bicycle path' to mean:
'a length of path beginn
ing at a 'bicycle path
' sign or a 'bicycle
path' road marking and ending at th
e nearest of the following:
(a) an 'end bicycle path' sign,
or an 'end bicycle path' road
marking;
(b) a 'separated footpath' sign
or a 'separated footpath' road
marking;
(c) a carriageway;
(d) the end of the path
If these are controlled by the local councils what are they described as?

cheers
Sambo

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:51 pm

Methinks the correct description is "Lip service"
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:57 pm

Hi Sambo,

Any form of path, that includes footpath, shared path and bike path is normally above/behind the kerb. They also can be provided away from roads, across parks and, as in the case of the Principal Shared Paths (PSP) along freeway and rail reserves.

If it is an integral part of the road, at the same level as the carriageway, then it would be a lane. In this case, on King Edward Road, it is below and in front of the kerb so it is a lane.

Is it a Bike Lane? According to the Road Traffic Code a Bike Lane requires a sign which incorporates a bike symbol and the word LANE. Because the word LANE is omitted it is not an official bike lane but a kerbside lane with a bicycle symbol. It does not need a sign on a post because the road code definition of a sign includes road markings.

Are they controlled by local councils, no. Only Main Roads WA are permitted to install road signs (including road markings) although councils will normally request the signs on their roads and, as far as I am aware, Main Roads have never painted a bike lane with the proper words. End result most people think it is a bike lane, it is often marked as that on official bike maps, but is not legally one so no action can be taken to infringe drivers who use it to park or drive in.

I hope that helps.

sambo3

Postby sambo3 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:11 pm

Is it a Bike Lane? According to the Road Traffic Code a Bike Lane requires a sign which incorporates a bike symbol and the word LANE. Because the word LANE is omitted it is not an official bike lane but a kerbside lane with a bicycle symbol. It does not need a sign on a post because the road code definition of a sign includes road markings.
So it's a bike lane but it's not official because the word "lane" is not painted on the road..... If it had been it would be an official bike lane as per the code, signs posted in the ground not needed? Wow this is just absurd.

Surely most average road riders and drivers would think this is a bike lane when bikes are painted along it. I think Main Roads WA need to either add the word lane or remove the markings altogether as it's to ambiguous for the average road cyclist.

Thanks Womble, I think ;)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:13 am

sambo3 wrote:Hi Andrew does King Edward St with its painted cycle signs not define a signposted bike path as per in the code?
You are confusing "path" with lane. Roads don't have paths. Time for a dictionary me thinks.

The Macquarie Dictionary defines a path as
noun 1. a way beaten or trodden by the feet of people or animals.

2. a walk in a garden or through grounds.

3. a route, course, or track in which something moves.

4. a course of action, conduct, or procedure.

[Middle English; Old English pæth, related to German Pfad]
a lane (relevant section for this discussion) ...
lane
/leɪn/ (say layn)
noun
5. a strip of road, marked out with lines, wide enough for a single file of vehicles and about which various rules exist as to usage, speed, and the circumstances under which a driver may move from one to another: *traffic restricted to one lane in each direction from Princes Highway to Pipe Rd. –HERALD-SUN, 1991.

[Middle English and Old English]
road (relevant section for this discussion)..
road
/roʊd/ (say rohd)
noun 1. a way, usually open to the public for the passage of vehicles, persons, and animals.

2. any street so called.

3. the track on which vehicles, etc., pass, as opposed to the pavement.
Andrew

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:26 am

Wow at thread.

Wishing the gent a full and speedy recovery.

So anyway, I have ridden this road thousands of times and have found it safe. Only once or twice did I get a SMIDSY at an intersection. Using the footpath along here is very dangerous, cars take the sweeping corners at speed and tend not to pay much attention to pedestrians or cyclists crossing the road at the footpath, I always felt safer out on the road.
So far this year, 22 students have been hit by cars while making their way to or from school - a 145 per cent increase on 2013 statistics.
This is very concerning. Too many people driving everywhere, peoples busy lives risking other peoples safety.

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:56 am

I too hope the cyclist has a full and speedy recovery.

Out of interest how significant is this road for cyclists and where are any riders using this road coming from and to.

Any information may help determine how important the bike lanes are and if there are any missing connections.

Regards

Jon

sambo3

Postby sambo3 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:58 am

Hi Jon, the road connects to the Mitchell Freeway PSP via the bridge to the north and also to the PSP at John Sanders Drive to the south
as you cross to Selby Street over Scarborough Beach Road.

cheers
Sambo

worzel

Postby worzel » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:16 pm

I saw a bunch of 4 or 5 guys leave the PSP a minute in front of me at the King Edward bridge this morning and re-emerge onto the PSP a couple of minutes behind me at Powis Street as I looped onto the overpass. I may have been marginally faster than them but not by that much so I am just wondering what their logic was. Avoiding the Hutton St crossings presumably?

archetuthus

Postby archetuthus » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:31 pm

worzel wrote:I saw a bunch of 4 or 5 guys leave the PSP a minute in front of me at the King Edward bridge this morning and re-emerge onto the PSP a couple of minutes behind me at Powis Street as I looped onto the overpass. I may have been marginally faster than them but not by that much so I am just wondering what their logic was. Avoiding the Hutton St crossings presumably?
I do that on occasion. Especially when they ripped up the islands at Hutton street. Basically going this way negates the horrible hutton intersection but isn't that much better as your waiting at the lights on hector st West and hutton which take a long time to change. Definitely debatable if its faster. its just less headachey than hutton freeway intersection.

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:23 pm

Some interesting changes on King Edward Rd. It looks like it has been resurfaced and now has proper bicycle lane signage.The lines are not solid lines, but broken lines with a large distance between the paint, I have not seen anything similar like this in Perth. The cars seen to really like the changes, they are driving down the bicycle lane like it is a second car lane due to the queue of cars at the Scarborough Beach Rd lights.