Call for Perth cycling summit?

twowheels

Call for Perth cycling summit?

Postby twowheels » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:35 pm

According to Seven news last night there is a call for a cycling summit in Perth, the only on line references to this i could find are the first three entries with a google search "cycling summit perth" . Is there a call for a cycling summit in Perth or is this channel 7s story?

I drive Wanneroo Road daily, my input would include that people who ride on roads should use a mirror or mirrors, scary the number of riders who don't. Are mirrors on bikes on roads mandatory?

Seven News Perth | Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/sevennewsperth" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CYCLE SUMMIT There are calls for a Perth cycling summit to cut the injury toll. OPERA ... Tonight at 6: Meet the Perth boy who survived a stroke at 6 weeks.
Seven News Perth - Facebook
m2.facebook.com/SevenNewsPerth?v=timeline...
... is on Facebook. To connect with Seven News Perth, join Facebook today. ... There are calls for a Perth cycling summit to cut the injury toll. A cyclist was taken ...
7 News Perth (@7NewsPerth) | Twitter
https://twitter.com/7NewsPerth" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The latest Tweets from 7 News Perth (@7NewsPerth). Official twitter feed for ... There are calls for a Perth cycling summit to cut the injury toll. #7NewsPerth at 6.

Scott_C

Re: Call for Perth cycling summit?

Postby Scott_C » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:52 pm

twowheels wrote:According to Seven news last night there is a call for a cycling summit in Perth
It is Mark McGowan (i.e. the state opposition) calling for the summit.

http://www.markmcgowan.com.au/news/if-c ... n-will-774" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't think a talkfest will achieve anything and there is a real risk of motoring bodies convincing the politicians that increased restrictions on cyclists are the way to go.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:04 pm

Thx, would have been handy if seven had said that. Just found this interesting Youtube clip "No Bike Mirror....Suicidal?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c05gbTR ... e=youtu.be

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:24 am

There has been a "summit" in the past year or so, well it was actually three one day forums run by the RAC and Office of Road Safety under the OLA banner. It came up with a series of action points which are meant to be followed up by the relevant government departments etc.

Cyclesnail might have more up to date information on where the action plans are at.

[1] Cycling Safety Forum 1

[2] Cycling Safety Forum # 2

[3] Cycling Safety Forum #3

Similar forums where also run for motorcyclists and pedestrians.

Andrew

clog

Postby clog » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:33 pm

LESS TALK MORE ACTION

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:37 pm

To get politicians from all the parties together in a Bike Summit is something I strongly support. It would allow for some simple key concepts to be discussed and agreed upon. I do not think it is important who is suggesting it - the people on bicycles who are seriously injured or killed do not care about party afiliation - all they want is a safer road environment for themselves and their families.

The cycling safety forums done by the RAC, as well as the cycling enquiry in QLD, identified many actions that would be useful. But in the end it is a few key measures that always crop up: Lower speeds on selected urban roads, infrastructure that allows for the separation of cyclists, cars and pedestrians in areas where traffic volumes or speeds are high, and better legislation to support vulnerable road users when conflicts occur (i.e. a legalised safe passing distance or the "strict liablility" laws that are used in Europe.
Support high quality cycling advocacy!