Subiaco to Henderson

billy70

Subiaco to Henderson

Postby billy70 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:28 am

I'm starting a new (but infrequent) commute next week between Subi and Henderson. My preference is to be as safe as possible, even if it adds significant time and/or miles. I definitely also wish to avoid higher speed and heavy vehicle roads as much as possible.

What are your thoughts about the smartest route? Down the freeway and along Russell Rd, or through Freo and down the coast?

Thoglette

Re: Subiaco to Henderson

Postby Thoglette » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:06 am

billy70 wrote:I'm starting a new (but infrequent) commute next week between Subi and Henderson. My preference is to be as safe as possible, even if it adds significant time and/or miles. I definitely also wish to avoid higher speed and heavy vehicle roads as much as possible.

What are your thoughts about the smartest route? Down the freeway and along Russell Rd, or through Freo and down the coast?
Easterly Route - didn't use this much as I was living on the coast
Avoid Russell Road - last time I went down it (12 months ago) it was extremely dangerous (no shoulders, 80kph, lots of heavy traffic)
Instead use Beeliar drive (which has a cycle path along it.) and the back streets of Munster (Actually Stock Rd ain't that bad) before using the path alongside Lake Coogee to get to the intersection of Cockburn Road and Stock Road. Then you've got to find the best path to your place of work. Lots of DUPs around.

You have a dual mode option here - cycle the 10km to Cockburn Central station and train home from there.

Westerly Route
Again, the problem is the section of Cockburn Road near Woodman point (which I've not commuted on for a few years). Just plain dangerous at rush hour (which is an hour earlier in Henderson). 70kph, narrow or missing shoulders, lots of traffic. OK most of the rest of the day. The alternative (again) uses the tracks or streets around Lake Coogee. Turn off Cockburn Road at Mayer, climb and then descend over the dune line, turn right at Fawcett Road.

You can actually use Mayer, Hamilton etc through Coggee and Spearwood all the way to Rockingham Road to avoid Cockburn road altogether but it costs you some hills. Or use Mayer and work your way through Port Coogee and the (dog walker infested) coastal dual use path to South Beach (and then Marine Pde)

Through Freo you can either battle the traffic on Hampton Road or take the longer but more pleasant route along Marine Parade

Lots has been said in this forum about getting from Freo to the PSP at Swanbourne (search for Curtin Ave and Tydeman Road). At peak hour the footpath across the Old Traffic Bridge is probaby faster and a heck of a lot safer than the road. Once the traffic thins then staying on the road works well.

Again, a dual mode option exists, 15km to Freo and then train home. I have been known to catch the train from Freo to Swanbourne. Doesn't save any time but certainly helps if a cold is on the way or you're feeling shagged.

So - quite a few choices. Given that the easterly route is about 7km longer than the westerly from Rockeby Road (28km vs 33ish) I'd go West - unless the seabreeze is howling in which case the trip via town may be quicker.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

billy70

Re: Subiaco to Henderson

Postby billy70 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:37 pm

Thank you Thoglette - it's definitely good to have options! I'll certainly avoid Russell Rd and try each of the other routes you've laid out.

Cheers!