Safe Passing Legislation to be debated in Parliament Thursda

worzel

Re: Safe Passing Legislation to be debated in Parliament Thu

Postby worzel » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:24 pm

I've started something here! The bus was static as the lights were red but would be going straight on at the lights - all buses do. I had two feet off the pedals walking myself up the inside of the bus to be at the head of the queue ready to turn right (and knowing I had the empty parking bays as a get out). The bus weaved sharply left into my path and also right up against the stop line (on a busy pedestrian crossing where about 1/3rd of crossers spill outside the crossing).

Karati

Postby Karati » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:45 pm

I'd never split up the left side of anything, cars, trucks, buses. People would not expect that and your opening yourself up to so many risks. I'd be inclined to think its illegal too.

Personally, I will be glad when all this has blown over. I'm on the road at least 5 days a week and notice a sharp increase in close passes and bad drivers when this stuff is in the news.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:08 pm

Karati wrote:I'd never split up the left side of anything, cars, trucks, buses. People would not expect that and your opening yourself up to so many risks. I'd be inclined to think its illegal too.

Personally, I will be glad when all this has blown over. I'm on the road at least 5 days a week and notice a sharp increase in close passes and bad drivers when this stuff is in the news.
Karati- It is not illegal for cyclists to filter up the left of any vehicle unless they are turning left (ie indicating)- AFAIK this is the case nationally.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:13 pm

Karati wrote:I'd never split up the left side of anything, cars, trucks, buses. People would not expect that and your opening yourself up to so many risks. I'd be inclined to think its illegal too.
The road rules explicitly state it is legal for cyclists to do so.

Karati

Postby Karati » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:22 pm

Fair enough. Doesn't necessarily make it a good idea though. :P

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:56 pm

Sinner wrote:
Le Mong wrote:Image

I can understand Le Mong's frustration.

There are a number of cycle lanes at intersections which separate the left turn lane from ahead lanes. So if a left turn filter arrow comes on, how do the left turners maintain the 1m separation without mounting the kerb? Answer is they probably will stop and wait for the cyclists to go thus reducing the capacity of the intersection. Designers will then have to design 1m buffer lanes between the cycle lanes and the left turn lane.
My frustration was a the retarded "mount the curb" attitude...

nitestick

Postby nitestick » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:37 pm

Fair enough to be pissed off, it was a dick move by the driver. The potential for those is why I have my blanket rule about large vehicles.