Invisible Bike Challenge - appriopriate?

rolandp

Invisible Bike Challenge - appriopriate?

Postby rolandp » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:24 am

Spotted on BWA's facebook, and advertised at BWA's Bike to Work event on Wednesday:

Given the recent deaths/injurys of cyclists, at least two well published ones this week, where they were 'invisible' to the cars, is this an appriopriate competition to run.

Shouldn't the cycling community be promoting VISABILITY in all their marketing campaigns?

redsonic

Re: Invisible Bike Challenge - appriopriate?

Postby redsonic » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:21 pm

Given that it is cyclists who get hit and killed (and these people are obviously cyclists), I don't think it matters that their bikes are invisible. Maybe it even says: "these cyclists are human beings"?

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:39 pm

With the need to explain what the hell an invisible bike was, I was surprised that the concept was not tagged "air bike" instead. A lot less explanation needed.

Anyway, it was all rather lame as most of the couple of thousand had left and the rest were anxious to. I think thyey left it too late.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:40 pm

Good to see some get right into the moment and done their invisible lids
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:52 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Good to see some get right into the moment and done their invisible lids
LOL
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:34 am

Posted on BWA's Facebook- location Kings Park - date 5-Nov-2014

From The West- location Kings Park - date 5-Nov-2014

Seriously, do we really need this competition, and why is BWA continuing to promote it?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:58 am

I am generally in favour of belting up the state "advocacy" organisations for their failure to deliver any meaningful improvement to cyclist safety, but I think you are wide of the mark here.

Humour, when done well, can be an effective way of communicating a message and it doesn't necessarily mean they are making fun of a serious problem, but rather it is a way of breaking down barriers and drawing people to your message. Noel Pearson showed how effective it can be in his eulogy for Gough Whitlam.

Sure this is not humour done well, it is about as funny as your drunk uncle at Christmas, but, in my view they should be ignored for being pathetic rather than criticised for trying to use humour.
Anything you can do, I can do slower